Update On Lily!

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she goes with no poop at all for 48 to 72 hours it may be time for a vet visit and a possible enema, and then come up with a plan to keep her regular. Miralax, etc, won't help for softening up things further down the pipeline, if you get my drift. If constipation is an ongoing issue it needs a consistent treatment plan.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well this morning is slightly better. Two larger clumps opposed to yesterday where there was nothing in the morning, then 2 pathetic little balls. I'll skip miralax and lecithin today, since I know miralax can take 1-3 days to work. Last night I was worried about her hydration so I dragged her down to the utility sink, and I guess she agreed she was thirsty.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MissClouseau MissClouseau I'm not sure if it's a malt paste, but I have tried the hairball pastes, some with petroleum jelly, some without, and the texture is miserable for her. I think since I have to put the stuff in her mouth, with my finger. That's why pumpkin is my go to mixer for stuff, it goes in and down so well!
I was reading, cats that are badly constipated are miserable. She really doesn't act like anything bothers her. She's her regular cranky lazy self. We were playing pawsies under the door a little while ago. And she's still eating and drinking fine. Today she's had two of her showers. I swear she's losing some weight too, I haven't weighed her in awhile she just looks more fit now.
I just really wanna start seeing normal logs again. Even before all this started, when she was younger, (shes 7 now) she only pooped every third day, but it was regular, and complete logs

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if it's a malt paste, but I have tried the hairball pastes, some with petroleum jelly, some without, and the texture is miserable for her. I think since I have to put the stuff in her mouth, with my finger.
If you can find that GimCat malt paste, or any malt paste, I think it's worth to try. Hima licks off the paste right from the tube. For pickier eaters there are meat/cheese-flavored ones as well. If that doesn't work either, maybe a paste and a little pumpkin together might do the trick?

Even before all this started, when she was younger, (shes 7 now) she only pooped every third day, but it was regular, and complete logs
I don't remember its name in English but in Turkish we call it "lazy intestines" for humans. That they don't work as much as they should but it doesn't cause a problem other than extra care like extra fiber. I wonder if there is a similar condition with cats too.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm that's a really good thought! Cuz before all this- the every third day was normal. I will definitely look into a malt paste and give it a shot.
We have poops! Still chunky broken up but it was poop and not just balls so yaye Lily!! Then there was a bit of diarrhea in there too, not really watery just soft. but hey I'll take it. She had a lot of lecithin and miralax there for a few days. I'll continue to let her rest from it, and watch for the next day, probably Wednesday we will go back to lecithin and pumpkin. I just tried playing with her too with a wand toy and she had no interest. Mom told me she did drink again from the sink while I was at work.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm that's a really good thought! Cuz before all this- the every third day was normal. I will definitely look into a malt paste and give it a shot.
We have poops! Still chunky broken up but it was poop and not just balls so yaye Lily!! Then there was a bit of diarrhea in there too, not really watery just soft. but hey I'll take it. She had a lot of lecithin and miralax there for a few days. I'll continue to let her rest from it, and watch for the next day, probably Wednesday we will go back to lecithin and pumpkin. I just tried playing with her too with a wand toy and she had no interest. Mom told me she did drink again from the sink while I was at work.
Just a little semantics peeve I have here.

Watery/loose stool != diarrhea.

Diarrhea is increased frequency and volume and often a sense of urgency to it. Blow out the back of the box.

Loose/watery stools are just that. They could be of normal volume or a little larger because the liquid isn’t reclaimed but there isn’t the increased frequency or urgency. Liquid stools are actually expected with constipation as newer softer stuff can and does squeeze past the harder stuff that’s also blocking the moisture reclamation that occurs in the colon.

Diarrhea and loose stools are different conditions that often require different treatments. With diarrhea, you want to dry up the stools and fast to prevent dehydration. With loose stools, if they are caused by constipation, then you want to treat the underlying constipation by bringing moisture into the stools. Terrible treatment for diarrhea though. Liquid stools can also be one-offs that need no treatment like the cat ate something she shouldn’t have and she’ll bounce back in a day or two.

It drives me nuts that my vet uses these interchangeably. But at the moment, it’s not affecting how we treat Krista. So as long as Krista gets appropriate care, she can say whatever. For now.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:poop: yesterday morning I gave her pumpkin and lecithin, and when I got home and cleaned out litter, there was a nice amount of broken up clumps. I think pumpkin is better than miralax for her. I'm debating on giving her just plain pumpkin this morning before I head out. She was mad at me this morning, greeted me with growls and snarls, I'm assuming because I saw Zoe wanted a shower so I gave Zoe love and a drink, then said good morning to Lily. She gets so mad over her. :( I miss the relationship she had with Callie. Anyway.
Last night no one ate much, of course after I bought a bunch of bff tuna and duck. Mom fed them early this morning and said they did good with tuna and sardine. Sure wish they would eat wet food NOT fish flavored, but they are spoiled rotten and I want them to eat wet food. I need to get them more freeze dried chicken too, since that's a good protein and they love it. (But why not chicken wet food???)

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
stacydc83 stacydc83 glad your cat is pooping again! My cat had pumpkin and miralax daily due to her constipation issues, but had to stop the pumpkin because of some GI issues (not caused by pumpkin, just what the vet recommended). The daily miralax plus plenty of water is keeping her regular. I think if you found a combo that is working for Lily, just stick with it for a while unless Lily refuses to eat one or the other. I have a poop diary on my fridge to keep track of my cat's poop frequency and type. Who knew cat ownership would be so poop-focused? Lol.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An
stacydc83 stacydc83 glad your cat is pooping again! My cat had pumpkin and miralax daily due to her constipation issues, but had to stop the pumpkin because of some GI issues (not caused by pumpkin, just what the vet recommended). The daily miralax plus plenty of water is keeping her regular. I think if you found a combo that is working for Lily, just stick with it for a while unless Lily refuses to eat one or the other. I have a poop diary on my fridge to keep track of my cat's poop frequency and type. Who knew cat ownership would be so poop-focused? Lol.
Anyone who follows Krista's Care thread lately knows that it has devolved into a poop diary. And a food journal.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really should try tracking it by a calendar! The last two weeks I've been going by what I've posted on here. It seems like the completely blocked up is behind us (for now) but where are my solid poops, the perfect log poops! I think tomorrow I'll let her be again, and watch. In a couple days give her more lecithin. And come spring time really keep the hairballs under control to the best of my ability. Mom told me she walked around the house outside some, and when I got home she was waiting at the door for me, and then ran (yes ran) to the sink for a drink. I sure wish I could get more water into her. We had a fountain a few years ago, she never liked it, Zoe did for about 2 years and then didnt like it anymore. I'm debating on buying a different one and giving it another shot. I cant mix water into her food, she "doesnt like it and can tell its been messed with"
And here is what I just walked into, lol. Does this look uncomfortable and blocked up to you?
20200130_195136.jpg

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WHOA. we have poop. and more poop. Bout to be graphic in here, but I'm describing what I found. I found a really thick log, like man sized log ( i haven't seen logs in SOO long) Then, a few clumps, and some wetter globs. I'm over the moon with this! But, what cleaned her out? I looked back on my entries on here, and its been well over a week since I've messed with miralax, and it looks like Wednesday she had some lecithin and pumpkin, and then thursday just pumpkin. Could the miralax and lecithin be working now and she's just now being cleared out? Either way I'm so happy she got so much out. I think she is too. I saw her run across the room a few minutes ago, lol, she must be feeling a bit lighter!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:runningcat:💩
I miss the poop zooms.

Krista is still having pudding poops and poop barfs. 😿

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WHOA. we have poop. and more poop. Bout to be graphic in here, but I'm describing what I found. I found a really thick log, like man sized log ( i haven't seen logs in SOO long) Then, a few clumps, and some wetter globs. I'm over the moon with this! But, what cleaned her out? I looked back on my entries on here, and its been well over a week since I've messed with miralax, and it looks like Wednesday she had some lecithin and pumpkin, and then thursday just pumpkin. Could the miralax and lecithin be working now and she's just now being cleared out? Either way I'm so happy she got so much out. I think she is too. I saw her run across the room a few minutes ago, lol, she must be feeling a bit lighter!
It is so disconcerting to see a huge long poop from a cat! But yeah, I bet your kitty feels so much better now! I hope a good maintenance plan of whichever supplements work best for Lily will keep her regular!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it looks like shes back to every third pooping, which was her norm before. Just a few clumps today. So, I its been awhile since shes had any lecithin so she got a few finger fulls of pumpkin and lecithin mixed together, followed by a hairball treat. Since we're about to enter true shedding season I think I'll give her hair ball treats every day, and the lecithin and pumpkin about twice a week and see how that goes. Hopefully wont have to go back to miralax. We walked around outside for a bit, I was proud of her. She walked along some fallen trees and went into the woods and walked around a little, and then ran as fast as she could towards me so yaye exercise! Here is her today. We haven't taken our walks in a long time. I wish Mom would try harder with her outside. I feel like shes more inclined to "do cat stuff " if someone is there with her, maybe she feels safer if she knows me and Mom are close.
20200205_100909.jpg
and cant leave Zoe out!
20200205_100444.jpg

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou Furballsmom Furballsmom ! I think they know it too!
I am so glad we got a nice walk in yesterday morning, the temperature dropped quickly after that and now it's raining and will rain all day today.
Nothing for me to clean out this morning but pee. Hopefully the pumpkin and lecithin will work it's way through soon.
She ate pretty good this morning, their tuna and duck. Zoe barely ate, silly girl.
I finally ordered some Dr Elseys, I've been debating back and forth for months if I wanted to try the dry food, so we will see if they like it.