Update On Lily!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well its actually been more than a week since I've updated on Lily, maybe even two? I've been busy! I got a job! Yaye. I'm working back at Panera Bread, never thought I'd go back after I quit 19 months ago to do the temp thing. But this is one SO much closer to home, and they seem pretty nice there. So anyway. Still dealing with Lily's constipation. We still get our mini walks around the house. I think it was Friday?, we went for a long walk in the woods and she did good with that. Today she wasn't too keen on walking, but she did wander into the woods a little on her own, and a few minutes later I saw her run back to the house, and she did that cute little skip off the side of the tree coming back. So she can't be feeling too bad. I ordered the EZ egg Yolk today, that'll be our first trial, see if that helps with poop, and hair balls, if not, I will move on to either lecithin, or Miralax.
I switched their food back, their hard food anyway. I just didn't like the diet food, it was so full of carbs. So Lily & Zoe are both happy to have Crave back in their bowl. Once money is better, I will try the Dr. Elsey's. At least Crave has more protein. And eventually find a wet food they really like, so I can feed them wet food in the morning and not have dry sitting out all the time. And I plan on buying every type of gravyish wet food in existence at Petco/Petsmart, trying one can till I can find something they will both eat for breakfast. Still going to mix in some Royal Canin since I know they will both eat the gravy out of it. And definitely going to try the Tiki After dark, I saw one that might be good, the chicken and pork and I think they both like pork because Royal Canin has pork.
I weighed Lily the other day, she is 18.2 lbs now, so maybe we've lost a few ounces so far? Maybe? We will get there!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I swear there is more pep in her step yesterday, and this morning! Yesterday evening she just seemed peppier, and happier when I got home from work. Who knows, maybe she's enjoying not having me around 24/7 :geekcat:and is a nice break from me, lol. Or maybe the cooler weather. I'm off today, so maybe later this afternoon I'll see if she's up for a nice walk in the woods and get some exercise.
Last night she was just peppier, played with a random piece of paper she found on the floor for like 30 seconds, and I saw her run across the room like once, so yaye. She had pooped at some point yesterday, but we're still in the clumpy, bally texture, followed by a tiny log, and its only every few days. I'm hoping the EZ Egg yolk comes in the mail today, I'm really excited to give that try. I'm going to pick up some Gerber baby food today, and I I plan on mixing that with the EZ Egg Yolk, and getting her to eat that the same way I did with the pumpkin puree. She won't be happy about it, but if it works, she'll get over it.
Zoe has lost a little bit of weight, she's in the 7 lb range now, which really makes me nervous, but I dumped the diet food and went back to their normal Crave food. So I guess the weight loss food was working for Zoe, but not for Lily.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing too exciting or new to report. I finally got some EZ egg yolk in her, with the old stand by; pumpkin. Pumpkin is just such a great texture, and thick enough to get on my finger, and stick in her mouth and she eats it quickly and gets over it quickly. So I mixed the EZ egg yolk and pumpkin together and she had no idea that there was a new ingredient in there. We took a tiny walk around the house today, I didn't want to go into the woods, I saw a snake in the woods the other day and now I'm terrified of stepping on one. We will go again,its such good exercise for her. I tried getting her to play with a wand today too, yeah...no interest, what so ever. I weighed her today too, still 18 lbs.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:
Thursday I was nicely surprised by a BIG poop, biggest I've seen in quite awhile. Then when I cleaned it out yesterday, a bunch of little balls again, that look like constipation again, or maybe there wasn't much in her? I gave her more pumpkin mixed with the EZ Egg yolk this morning just incase. I love how easily it goes in her with the pumpkin, but I didn't want to mix pumpkin with egg, or be so reliant on pumpkin. Maybe tomorrow I'll try EZ Egg with baby food again, this time turkey, and try to find ham flavored, that is apparently a hard flavor of baby food to find.
I tried more of the many wet foods that I bought, I left it for Mom to give them while I was at work, I thought maybe they would like Tiki cat after dark, I got the chicken and pork..Nope, no one would touch it. Silly stubborn girls! This is supposedly one of the best wet foods on the market,(and expensive) and my girls snub their noses at it. I'll keep trying, running out of ideas and brands to try. You would think they would start getting tired of what they eat for dinner, EVERY night, the tuna and sardine mess.
She walked a little this morning, I was trying to distract her from going to her hard food bowl, so I kicked her out the front door, and we walked from the front to the back.
I've brought home a few boxes from work, thinking that would be fun, but apparently they are just good spots to rest in.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I weighed Lily about a week ago? She was weighing in at 17.8, so hopefully the scale is right, that would mean she's lost some weight! I don't know how accurate it is to weigh myself, then weigh myself holding her, with her being angry/a little squirmy but its the best we've got.
No big changes. I'm not home a lot, which I can tell upsets her. She was REALLY angry with me for a few days, a few days ago, wanted nothing to do with me, but she's over it again(for now) I guess its just because she doesn't understand, I was with her every day all day for several months, and now all of a sudden for the past month, I'm gone almost all day, every day, and when I'm home, I tend to be exhausted and just kinda sit on the couch. She doesn't understand why, that I am working again. But the other day she was really happy to see me and seemed to be in a really good mood, she walked around the house all by her self, and even chased a little pom pom ball a couple of times.
We're doing pretty good with feedings in the mornings now, they both like Soulistic, the Tuna & Duck. Mom tries to feed them shortly after I've left for work, and Zoe's been outside for a least a few minutes and then comes back in. Then dinner time its the normal Tuna & Sardines still.
I've kinda slacked on the pumpkin/EZ egg Yolk, but I gave her some sometime earlier in the week,probably last monday? then again this saturday, and today. one time mixed with ham baby food, then pumpkin the last 2 times. I think it was Thursday, I didn't get to satisfaction (ha, wow I'm weird) of cleaning out the cat litter, but my Mom told she had a GOOD poop that day, and then again later in the day. Then I noticed it was a lot softer than usual, and now its kinda bally again. I need to be more consistent with it to help keep her regular, I just hate the free time i do have, of shoving it down her throat. It would be easier if she would just eat it, mixed in with her food. The exercise front, not so good, I don't have the time to walk her like I did before, and it gets dark so early, and its getting cold. I tried today, she walked around the yard with me, and then ran, because Zoe chased her, and she got mad, so she wanted to go inside. So there's that.
I need to spend more time with her. With both of them really, I know she misses me. The day she was chasing the pom pom a few times I could tell how happy she was, and she went hiding behind a door ready to play with me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you're gone, ask if it would be ok to try some low volume classical harp music for Lily, sometimes it really helps cats to relax.

Would they like a ripple rug or some other self entertaining thing?

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The ripple rug looks like fun! I know Zoe would like it, Lily who knows what she finds entertaining, depends on the day. I don't know why it affects Lily so much with me being gone, she's not home alone. Mom is retired, and she is home most of the day. and gives them both attention throughout the day. Yes she does more with Zoe, but its because so is so much more active and will "help" Mom do stuff outside.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We are quickly entering the blah's of winter. I got her outside with me for a little bit today, but frankly, its too cold(for me!) She walked around the house, and she also "studied" a tree, and jumped at it, jumped down, and then ran to the other side of the yard to where I was, so yaye a little exercise. I keep telling Mom she needs to just stick her outside, and really encourage her to make a lap around the house,while I'm at work. She'll stick her outside, but she needs the push to go walk around, she'll just sit on the porch and want back in if your not with her.
Still no progress on the poop front. Sunday I gave her pumpkin/EZ egg yolk, and then earlier today. I found at a petstore (PetValu) a broth/stew made by Stella & Chewy, its for dogs, but the person at the pet store insisted that its okay for cats too, and Lily actually licked it a bit. I think inbetween the pumpkin/egg, I'll try that mixed with the egg, and get a few finger fulls of that because I want the EZ egg yolk to work, but I give it to her only like twice a week, so I'm definitely going to try to get more in her.
I found a treat they both really like, we are trying to give Zoe more than Lily, since Zoe is still on the thin side. The freeze-dried chicken. Zoe goes crazy for it, Lily likes it. It's high protein and fat, so any extra calories for Z is good. Lily gets a couple pieces and Zoe gets more. We bought the one for dogs, and just break it up, because the cat bags are so little with so little chicken.
I need to weigh Lily again, I haven't in about two weeks. I am pretty sure she has lost a little weight, simply because she doesn't get temptations treats every day several times a day. Mom gives her like 4 of the prescription treats all day, and I give her some in the morning and when I come home from work. Before we got serious about weight loss, we gave in all the time and gave her temptations. I think she knows now too she's not going to get treats every time she asks.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I weighed her tonight. 17.6! So I think that's good/better?
There was a tiny bit of poop in her box when I got home from work, balls again :( I gave her the EZ Egg yolk yesterday, this time I mixed it in with the Stella & Chewy *dog stew* and suprisingly it went down very easily, I just separated the chunks of chicken out and got about 3 pointer fingers worth in. I'm becoming more creative with getting it in her, instead of just baby food or pumpkin. the dog stew was a breeze. So yesterday I picked up another little carton of that, along with some pate food to mix in, I'll try that soon.
Anyone ever try winter squash? the sales person was very keen on selling me Stella & Chewy winter squash for cats and dogs. It was $20, and its frozen. Because I want to rotate between pumpkin, and the EZ Egg yolk to get and keep her insides moving. Is winter squash any better than pumpkin? I just have to get better with this, instead of like twice a week, I would like to rotate between EZ egg yolk, and pumpkin or the "winter squash". The sales person didn't seem to understand that it has to be a thick consistency, because shes not going to eat it, I can guarantee it. Its gotta go on my finger into her mouth. Because she kept trying to sell me goats milk also, lol

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't done a "Lily update" in over a month! She's doing ok, just doing Lily things. After the diarrhea disaster, everything has gone back to normal. When I took them to the vet, Lily has only lost a half a lb, dag gone it! I thought we'd hit at least a lb in a half since September :(. Zoe on the other hand, has lost over a lb, urghh. Her little skinny butt did not need to lose any weight.
I haven't given Lily any pumpkin in weeks now, after the diarrhea, I've been very hesitant to do so, since the vet couldn't pin point what caused it, she was blaming something they ate. Still don't believe that, but I just didn't want to upset her tummy with anything. She's gone back to pooping her constipated balls again, but, they have been more frequent, the balls. And then 2 days ago she left a HUGE stink bomb in the box, so that's good. I'd started giving her hair ball treats again so maybe that helped. And I'll continue that every few days I guess.
So we continue on with Lily's weight loss, we'll get there. Its even more challenging now, Zoe has her own personal goal, to GAIN weight. So one's gotta lose, one's gotta gain, and they pretty much eat the exact same thing. :stars:
I walked her around a bit today, Zoe was upstairs sleeping so me & Lily went out and walked around the back yard, she was smelling the leaves, watching stuff, and trying to eat the dead grass.
Oh and you know how they both loved Soulistic's Tuna & Duck? Now, after going to another Petco 30 minutes away to get a bunch, they are barely eating it. Go figure! Still kinda like Weruva's BFF Tuna and Duck, at least. Tuna & Sardines they've decided isn't good anymore either. So the search continues.
I haven't added any pics of them in awhile, so the first one is from Christmas Night, and the second is just now as I write this post, she's just so cute sleeping
ChristmasCats19.jpg
sleepy Lily19.jpg

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you give Zoe some kitten glop, or extra kitten food?
She doesn't eat stuff like that, she's just as stubborn as Lily. I almost picked up some kitten dry food, made by the same brand of what they eat now (Crave) but all I could think was Lily would get wind of it, and be like HEY I like this fattier one! I've been sneaking Zoe some freeze dried chicken when Lily's not around,so hopefully that gets a few extra calories in her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh boy - you have your hands full with these two!!! I didn't go back and re-read all the posts - did you ever try to give Lily a minimal maintenance dose of Miralax - she might just have to be on an ongoing low-dose maintenance amount to keep her from the constipation.

Oh and you know how they both loved Soulistic's Tuna & Duck? Now, after going to another Petco 30 minutes away to get a bunch, they are barely eating it. Go figure! Still kinda like Weruva's BFF Tuna and Duck, at least.
Try mixing the two together - the flavor of the one might just be enough to get them to eat the other. Works on Feeby!

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Still haven't tried the miralax, I dont know why I'm so stubborn. Like cat like human I guess lol. I'm just so worried about messing with her tummy

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still haven't tried the miralax, I dont know why I'm so stubborn. Like cat like human I guess lol. I'm just so worried about messing with her tummy
To be fair, the hairball paste is (necessarily) messing with her stomach. That’s what’s causing litterbox blowouts. Miralax would be more gentle but wouldn’t help with hairballs. Can you try pumpkin again but a smaller amount? Pumpkin would help with both constipation and hairballs making the paste unnecessary or less necessary. The devil is always in the dose. Start smaller than recommended and work up to it slowly as needed and tolerated.

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we will give pumpkin another go, pumpkin never gave Lily issues before, so highly doubt its what made her and Zoe sick (especially since Zoe doesn't get pumpkin). I just fed them dinner, stubborn little boogers. I picked up duck and salmon, trying to change up a tiny bit, from the tuna & duck (since Soulistic is not a favorite right now) and no one would eat eat, so I gave them BFF duck & tuna, Lily ate the moisture out of it, Zoe did fairly decent, but not like she would devour Soulistic's when she loved it. Oh, and how about the associate at Petco, greeted me by name :crackup:He remembers me well by going there all the time in search of the Soulistic, and calling, and him calling me.
I also picked up some more treats for Zoe, "Baby Blue chicken treats" basically temptations with somewhat better ingredients, so a few mintutes ago she got a few of those, along with some freeze dried, and I saw Lily watching longingly from downstairs, so she got her Satiety treats so she didn't feel left out.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we continue on with Lily's weight loss, we'll get there. Its even more challenging now, Zoe has her own personal goal, to GAIN weight. So one's gotta lose, one's gotta gain, and they pretty much eat the exact same thing.
Does Zoe like boiled turkey/chicken? Boiled chicken/turkey breast as a treat made Hima gain weight. I keep some ready in the fridge and warm it up with some hot water. Treats might be easier to help Zoe as no plate needed and you might give when Lily isn't around?

For hairballs/constipation, some hairball remedies' ingredients start with oils. I think the ones that only has malt paste as the first ingredient better. I use GimCat and it's also the one with the simplest formula I have seen (so far)