Update on Boo - good news, bad news, treatment questions

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His previous thread can be found here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/268257/more-concerned-for-boo. But since it's been awhile, I wanted to start a fresh, new thread. He was at the vet last week for a check-up.

THE GOOD NEWS.  

I think we were successful at addressing his food allergies. He's getting a small rotation of canned food in turkey, salmon, venison, and rabbit. He had previous ear infections from suspected food allergies, along with itching around his face and neck. The vet said his ears look clean and clear. The itching is virtually gone.

We were also pretty successful at addressing his "pain of unknown origin", although I feel a lot of it came from spasms from his colon and whatever damage was done from years of chronic constipation. Although it could also have come from his arthritis and IVDD. We are addressing the constipation with a wet only diet, Miralax, George's Aloe Vera, probiotics, and digestive enzymes. We are addressing general pain and arthritis with Gabapentin, Chinese herbs, a joint supplement, and omega-3 fish oil. He also gets a B-complex orally, B12 injections, and l-lysine.

The feline hyperesthesia is completely gone. I can only say it must be a combination of what I'm doing above. On occasion he'll have spurts of energy, playing with his toys, chasing Caesar, or getting into something he shouldn't....just being Boo.

THE BAD NEWS.  

Despite the good news, his appetite sucks and he continues to lose weight. Just recently, he has dropped just below 10 lbs. He also drinks quite a bit. We had blood work and a urinalysis done at the vet last week. There have been changes in the past nine months. His creatinine is now starting to creep up. His cholesterol is higher. And there's still that 1+ protein in his urine. The vet is not overly surprised given his age, but she did say this looks like idiopathic glomerulonephritis.

She wants to put him on hormone therapy - I believe it's called corticotropin or adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) - to help slow down the progression. When I looked it up, I find very little information about its use in animals. Here's one link for its use in humans: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22722778. Does anyone know anything about this? It's expensive. While $45 a month doesn't seem that much alone, $540 a year is quite a chunk of money. I don't even get pay raises of that amount. She said if the corticotropin doesn't perk up Boo's appetite or if I decide not to go that route, she wants to put him on prednisolone. I have it on my to-do to consult with our TCVM vet about this and see what treatment she recommends.

I'd appreciate anyone's input on glomerulonephritis and/or the use of corticotropin / ACTH in cats.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this type of treatment but just wanted to bump this back up for you.  I hope you are able to find a course of treatment that is effective.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad that so many issues are under control. You are doing an above and beyond fantastic job.

So, if I understand correctly, the bad news is or is similar to hypoadrenocorticism?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Glad that so many issues are under control. You are doing an above and beyond fantastic job.

So, if I understand correctly, the bad news is or is similar to hypoadrenocorticism?
Aw, thanks.

No, he does not have hypoadrenocorticism. She only said that corticotropin is a treatment option for glomerulonephritis. 
  The bad news is glomerulonephritis and stronger evidence pointing towards failing / malfunctioning kidneys.

I found this, too: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22143333

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, this is a tough one. I've found an article "Review: Canine glomerulonephritis: new thoughts on proteinuria and treatment"(2005). It's a pdf that not all can access for free. I've saved it as a pdf. PM me.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Sent you a PM.

I guess I could ask my vet to pull up some articles from their database. I hate not having data or at least some anecdotal evidence!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The other thing I found is a pdf that requires a log-in online which I am able to do. I've downloaded it and trying to figure out how to send it to you.

Last edited:

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On some sites, there is a correlation between arthritis and glomerulonephritis among humans, dogs and cats.

Found another link: http://books.google.ca/books?id=J_Q...s arthritis feline glomerulonephritis&f=false 

pp 359-364. There's one page not available for preview, but all the references cited are listed on p 364. If the link doesn't work (the link looks rather long), go to Google Books and search for this book: Veterinary Immunology by Ian R. Tizard.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Googled "glomerulonephritis" and "corticotropin" and got some scientific articles. Most of the content was way over my head, but the gist that I got was that corticotropin is still in the experimental stages, although there has been some reports of remission with its use. I think your vet wants to use it since prednisolone can have such broad side effects. Since it is still early, the vet is probably figuring we'll see if corticotropin can produce good results. If it does, fine; otherwise it wouldn't be too late for prednisolone.

Here's a few articles I came across:

http://www.discoverymedicine.com/An...ndrome-with-adrenocorticotropic-hormone-acth/

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/19/5/1305.full

Last edited:

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, guys!

@Raintyger, that seems to be my understanding, as well. I did ask the vet if it was something that could be stopped after starting. She said yes, but it's not one of those treatments that is going to have dramatic results that you see overnight. The major "symptoms" Boo is having right now are loss of appetite, weight loss, and increased drinking (and increased urination as a result). So if it helps him to eat more, then great. But what if it doesn't help his appetite? Part of me says, "what's the point?" I'll have to ask again if it will help his appetite. I'm still thinking about it and haven't gotten back to the vet yet. I wanted to talk to the TCVM vet about it, too, but haven't scheduled that appointment yet either. I've been sick and can't even hold a phone conversation without having a coughing fit.