Update: My kittens are still eating things off of the floor and it seems like they won't stop

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3-month-old kittens Oreo and Nugget have been doing this thing where they go in the corner of the kitchen or where the front door is and sniff out whatever they can find just to put in their mouths. Or most of the time they will be sniffing the floor anywhere they go because they think that there is food. This is a problem because even though my mom and I sweep every day, they still manage to find tinyyy things to eat and they think that their food is everywhere but their food bowls. We both saw the responses on the last related post to this issue and we even tried feeding them more wet food (we usually give them both half of a full wet kitten food can) and dry food, they don't finish their wet or dry food at all and just yesterday Oreo didn't eat from 10:00 a.m. to 5 p.m which was alarming to me since she's the one who tries to hog Nugget's food and eats at our daily scheduled times (around 8:30-9:00 am, 12-1 pm, 4-5 pm, and then 7-8 pm they nap a lot during the times they don't eat). We also tried free-feeding them but they didn't budge at the dry food, we will try adding liquid to the dry food though but they haven't been eating often. My mom kept saying I was overreacting and has been losing her patience with me but this was completely out of the ordinary for me since they're always hungry and love their kitten food (they aren't picky eaters).

We have fed them treats on the floor before and we don't do that anymore but for some reason, they think that the tiny things (dust particle, materials from packages, or even rice grains that even I didn't see) are their food, I noticed this happening even more often this week after they got their rabies vaccinations on Monday (they're fully vaccinated now). No matter how much food we give them, they don't finish it and they would rather try finding stuff on the floor to eat.

The doctor reassured us on Monday and told us that they're completely healthy at around 4 lbs but after they had their vaccinations all they wanted to do was eat stuff off the floor and for a long time they were always interested in their food and they always left their bowls empty and clean but just now recently they don't even pay attention to their food that much. I told my mom that I think something is wrong with them since they're not eating as much as they should and that this problem is gonna affect them in the long run since they're only interested in eating what's on the floor in front of them.

Also, last Friday Oreo knocked down everything on my mom's bar and while I was really mad at her and my uncle who wasn't watching her, I just didn't want her and Nugget to get hurt from the broken glass or for them to drink the wine that had spilled across the floor so my mom did a full house clean but I still found very tiny glass shards around places where she couldn't reach since she is disabled and tries her best to clean the house. But for Oreo and Nugget, it's like it's not enough for them, they still search for things on the floor when there is no food for them on the floor. As you can see, I'm very frustrated, confused, concerned, and angered by their actions because they could've eaten and still can eat something that could send them to the emergency room or upset their stomach.

Honestly, I am scared of the kittens eating something they shouldn't be eating and I have been acting neurotic and I've been like a watchdog around them lately and it's been hurting my mental health because they don't stop looking for something to eat on the floor when they already have their nutritious food in their bowls already. It's like I can't relax around them anymore. I'm thinking of buying Oreo chewing toys off of Amazon so she can be more occupied with chewing them and not her toys which she loves destroying, and even a platform-scratching-plastic-leaf-bush-bed we got for them to sleep on and not for them to bite the leaves off. That bush is not gonna have any more leaves by the end of the year lol. But anyways yeah they don't meow at us and scream at us when we open their wet food cans as they'd usually do and I'm not sure if I'm looking into them too much like what my mom said but I am worried because I want to understand Oreo and Nugget but I'm having trouble learning how to prevent and stop dangerous behaviors like the ones they're having now.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides chew toys there are a variety of trixie puzzles. I cut treats in quarters. Shipping trash,cubes especially so they can play hide and seek,3 way tunnel
Sorry,that's the best I can offer

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Besides chew toys there are a variety of trixie puzzles. I cut treats in quarters. Shipping trash,cubes especially so they can play hide and seek,3 way tunnel
Sorry,that's the best I can offer
Thank you, your fur baby is adorbs!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep in mind that there is a baseline level of this that most cats do. Its not something that can be totally eliminated, and its potentially dangerous for sure. I've pulled a sewing needle out of cats throat by the connected thread, and another time somehow a christmas ornament hook either passed through or got covered in clingy vomit. If there are no rubber bands, threads, floss or objects of about the size of dimes or long thin stuff like a needle your doing ok. If they are going to eat some tiny rock someone tracked in, a piece of carpet, some cat hair or whatnot, that won't hurt them (other than maybe causing a hairball or vomitting) as long as its once in a while. Its just a cat thing to an extent. Just do your best, *especially* with the stuff that could actually be very dangerous.

Last edited:

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Art - I don't think you need to worry as much as you are. They may grow out of this behaviour, or not, but I've seen all my old, adult cats find some particle on the floor, sniff it and eat it before I can get to it. Then I wonder what it was, and worry for a bit, then I forget about it. You just have to make sure it's not dangerous things like elastic, string, yarn, dental floss, tinsel etc. Grains of rice, dust, even (very) small pieces of plastic are pretty harmless - and will generally just pass through with no problems. Size and shape of the item is far more important if it's something that can cause blockages in their intestines.

Also, have you considered getting a roomba? They are pretty helpful with keeping bits off the floor even if you're sweeping/vacuuming regularly.

This is also a separate issue from their actual food, and they aren't doing it because they're hungry but because they're curious (puzzle feeders are a good idea to distract them for a bit, but there's no way to "fix" this issue entirely.) That said, regarding the food, you can free-feed wet food to an extent. I know they say to only leave wet food out for a short period, but I leave mine out until they finish it, or as long as 12 hours (much less on really hot days though.) I would avoid getting them hooked on kibble if at all possible.

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just keep in mind that there is a baseline level of this that most cats do. Its not something that can be totally eliminated, and its potentially dangerous for sure. I've pulled a sewing needle out of cats throat by the connected thread, and another time somehow a christmas ornament hook either passed through or got covered in clingy vomit. If there are no rubber bands, threads, floss or objects of about the size of dimes or long thin stuff like a needle your doing ok. If they are going to eat some tiny rock someone tracked in, a piece of carpet, some cat hair or whatnot, that won't hurt them (other than maybe causing a hairball or vomitting) as long as its once in a while. Its just a cat thing to an extent. Just do your best, *especially* with the stuff that could actually be very dangerous.
Phew thank you, and I will keep doing my best to keep dangerous things away from them as they really are some curious furbabes.

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Art - I don't think you need to worry as much as you are. They may grow out of this behaviour, or not, but I've seen all my old, adult cats find some particle on the floor, sniff it and eat it before I can get to it. Then I wonder what it was, and worry for a bit, then I forget about it. You just have to make sure it's not dangerous things like elastic, string, yarn, dental floss, tinsel etc. Grains of rice, dust, even (very) small pieces of plastic are pretty harmless - and will generally just pass through with no problems. Size and shape of the item is far more important if it's something that can cause blockages in their intestines.

Also, have you considered getting a roomba? They are pretty helpful with keeping bits off the floor even if you're sweeping/vacuuming regularly.

This is also a separate issue from their actual food, and they aren't doing it because they're hungry but because they're curious (puzzle feeders are a good idea to distract them for a bit, but there's no way to "fix" this issue entirely.) That said, regarding the food, you can free-feed wet food to an extent. I know they say to only leave wet food out for a short period, but I leave mine out until they finish it, or as long as 12 hours (much less on really hot days though.) I would avoid getting them hooked on kibble if at all possible.
Oh I haven't heard of a roomba before but looking at it now does seem more convenient for everyday cleaning. Thank you for the suggestions!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
They are displaying typical kitten and adult cat behavior..

Having kittens is the same as having to secure a house for a toddler... you have to toddler/cat proof everything...

All my cats have been scroungers...

Pumpkin had a sewing needle with string attatched, embedded in the soft palate of her mouth.

Artie had a thing with plastic... all plastic... all kinds and types...and the twist ties for plastic bags..

Geoffrey has the plastic addiction in addition to anything foreign on the floor, or even counter. He just licks it up...

Just make sure the kittens are as supervised as you can.. and things are not out in the open for them...
I cannot have any plants or flowers due to Geoffrey... no plastic anything... I swear he smells the plastic from a room away and comes running to gnaw on it...

Some cats grow out of this stage, some do not.... You have playful, normal kittens...with lots of energy... They do not call Cats, Curious~~ for nothing..

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
adult cats find some particle on the floor, sniff it and eat it before I can get to it. Then I wonder what it was, and worry for a bit, then I forget about it.
LOL, thats fairly universal isn't it? We tend to worry more about it being a bug than something dangerous. And of course sometimes its actually something invisible to human senses.

Certainly there are times where you *will* catch a cat licking/masticating/biting on something they absolutely shouldn't eat if you are paying attention, and its definitely good practice to check out what they are trying to eat if you can.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for your peace of mind, when you sew using pins, count the number of pins you are going to use and write that number down on a piece of paper. Use the pins (to hold the pattern or hem or whatever in place) when you finish removed the pins and count them. This way you'll know if you found them all.

You might also get a long handled magnet to run along the floor boards and in corners. It won't get everything, but it will get some of the tiny things the cats are finding.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
for your peace of mind, when you sew using pins, count the number of pins you are going to use and write that number down on a piece of paper. Use the pins (to hold the pattern or hem or whatever in place) when you finish removed the pins and count them. This way you'll know if you found them all.
Another tip! Tie your used dental floss into several knots (I double mine over and tie a knot three or four times until it's quite small.) If you drop it beside the trash or your cat gets into the garbage, and eats it, at least it'll just be a lump rather than a long strand.