update and thank you

gr8nurse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First an update on Prissy. (the stray having kittens on my front porch)- named Prissy because she is. She seems to have slimmed down a bunch and no new kitties. That leaves us with three adorable kits. I really don't care if we get rid of any of them. I have an elderly neighbor whose cat died about 2 years ago who would love to have one. Leaving us with 2 babies and the mother, if she gets a clean bill of health. So far I think the main problem with her are the ear mites and fleas.

I even found a flea on one of the babies. I picked it off carefully but know since I can't treat Prissy they will just get more. Other than that things seem to be going well.

Now thank you to all who responded with advice or just support. It meant a lot to me. This site is absolutely wonderful. Maybe this happened to bring me here? If so, I am glad. I am also glad Prissy picked a friendly house to go to. Lot's of meanness out there.

Anyway thanks again for all your help.

Kathy and Prissy

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can take a small amount of olive oil and heat it in the microwave- only for 2 seconds to warm it, and use that to dislodge those mites. That black stuff you see is just encrusted blood, and the oil will soften that up so you can remove it easily. Drop about 2 drops in her ears, and massage gently, then leave her be for about a half an hour to let it soften the crud. Use a cotton ball (not q-tip) just tear the ball down so that it will fit safely in her ear, and gently put it inside her ear no farther than you can see.

About the fleas on the kittens, you can take a pair of tweezers and search for fleas, and squish them with the tweezers. Don't bath the mother or the kittens, they are still in a fragile state. Thanks for rescuing this poor mother, looks like she came to the right house! =)

kaaren sander

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What about using garlic to get rid of the fleas? I've never done this but, my son who is more into natural treatments swears by it. Anyone have any thoughts about this?
Not a gr8nurse, just a

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm glad to hear she's doing better and that you found a home for at least one kitten. Just don't seperate the kitten from the mother too early - wait until the kittens are 12 weeks old.

Make sure the mother is spayed soon and that the kittens will go to homes where they'll be spayed/neutered before the age of 6 months, so that others won't have to deal with unwanted kittens.

Thanks for saving them and please keep visiting here (we can also talk about things that are not cat related
)