Upcoming vet visit with my semi feral

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, my semi feral girl has really been making good progress lately. She even feels comfortable enough to take over the bed in my front window which happens to be all the cats favorite. Unfortunately she seems to have an eye infection and I have made a vet appointment for Tuesday. I know getting her there is going to be a bit of an ordeal. She loves her carrier, I leave it open in her room and she uses it as a bed at times. Im afraid after this vet visit she is going to hate the carrier and also regress significantly with her socialization.

My questions are has anyone used an oral antibiotic for an eye infection? For my other cats the vet has always given me either drops or cream but this cat would never let me handle her to do that so I would need something that I could maybe mix into her food.

My second question is does anyone use some sort of anti anxiety remedy from the vet to help semi feral with socialization?

Thank you in advance

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Call the vet and ask for Gabapentin. You should give it ( sprinkled on food) the night before the visit and 2 to 3 hours prior to the visit. If they won’t prescribe it find another vet. Any cat only hospital will give it to you. Try to make sure you are present for any exam or treatment.
Oral antibiotics won’t work for the eye. First it needs to be determined if it is an injury or bacterial infection or viral

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree......I have gabapentin for my hard to handle cat who sees a cardiologist, prescribed by her for visits.

Eyes need something which is distilled into the eye itself. Ask the vet for help with how to administer the eye medication. I have had better luck with a liquid than an ointment, but many people prefer the ointment. You may or may not have a choice.

How to give eye drops

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh boy okay thank you I actually have gabapentin so I can certainly do that but she does not let me handle her at all I can't even pet her so im not sure how I'd ever successfully get drops into her eye

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Make that really clear to the vet so they can try to help. You may not be able to do this at all, but some people take their cat back to the vet for subQ fluids or administration of meds.....but only if this fits your schedule.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I will definitely tell them. Last time she went they had to really sedate her they weren't able to handle her so I may need their help administering the medicine. I will do what I have to do i certainly don't want her infection to go untreated