Unwell kitten

Butterbean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi TCS community,

I wanted to see if anyone else had had this issue with their kitten. I have a 5 month old birman kitten and since we’ve taken him home (at 4 months) from the breeders, he has been super sociable and really really into his food and treats.

Last week, however, he started hiding under the sofa and bed, was threw up twice in two days (plus wrenching clear liquid) and refused to eat.I tried to get him to eat some of his favourite treats but had no interest in anything or even playing and was lethargic after 2 days rushed him to the vet. They put him on liquids etc but they said he was otherwise a very healthy young cat who was just off his food. they couldn’t pin point what the issue was but guessed gastritis.

After 3 days at the vets with bloods taken, ultrasounds and X-rays, he is back home but still not his old self (normally scarfs down any food in sight and always up for playing). Was tentatively eating on his first day back. The second day he started off not eating then ate more in the eve and now today he’s not been interested in his food again. I managed to give him a spoonful of tuna and some scrambled eggs and a lick e lick but that’s it. He’s not even interested in the tuna he’s been loving for the past few days. He’s been hiding a little more again too and less interested in play again.

Is this normal for a sick kitten and how long will it take for him to get over this? He’s also on probiotics, a de-wormer and omeprazol. The vet said If he isn’t back to his old self by tomorrow I should give them a call and it doesn’t look like he will be. Also he hasn’t yet had his adult teeth through or been neutered yet (was booked in for this week but changed for two weeks time to help him get over this first).

Any experience eve advice is welcome!

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats sometimes take a bit to recover from digestive issues. I cant really offer much advice other than trying to keep him hydrated and on gentle/plain foods until his system settles and keep communicating with your vet

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am concerned that he is only 5 months old and that this is happening. He has been dewormed, given a probiotic, and omeprazole which is essentially an antacid. The tests showed nothing at all? From your description, he has gone for a while now with little nutrition and is exhibiting behaviors like hiding which can indicate illness in itself. I have to agree with the vet's directions.....call him back and let him know today that nothing has worked so that you can proceed from here with trying to solve this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Butterbean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both.

Ashanti - I think you're right it will take a while for him to get better.
Fionasmum - I'll give them a ring in the morning to let them know he isn't back to his normal self.

He's definitely had a bit of diarrhea today, so clearly, something is still bothering him.

Butterbean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, yes he is feeling a little perkier and has some of his appetite back. He’s been given antibiotics and I think it’s doing the trick!
I’ll update again when he shows a little more!

Butterbean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely got his appetite back now and hopefully continues into the rest of the week! Thank you all for your help and support. X