Unusual Things You Own (Or Owned)

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born in West Berlin in the late 80s-an interesting time and place to be, to put it mildly. Foreigners and service members were allowed to cross into East Berlin through a specific checkpoint, and Mom and Dad would often go there to shop. One day, Mom was looking at baby blankets, and she came across an orange-and-cream one that had a picture of Bambi on it. I should probably say "Bambi", because you could tell this blanket wasn't authorized by Disney. Mom still bought it because it was soft and warm. It's in a box somewhere now-I wish I had a picture.

So that's a rather unusual thing I grew up with-a blatant Communist Disney-knockoff :lol: But Mom says it did exactly what it was supposed to do-make a baby warm and comfortable :cloud9:

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't judge; I have a rabbit foot keychain I got when I was young. I'm not sure what about it enticed me, but I really hope it's not a real rabbit foot... That would be tragic :(

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a stuffed vampire bat in a glass and wood case. I don't even know the history of it, just that my mom got it from somewhere...maybe a flea market?? And it ended up in my house. I'm not really one for taxidermy and I don't hunt, but this bat is really cool.
And to any 80's kids out there. I still have my original Nintendo, that still works, and yes I play it once in a while! As well as a Castle Greyscull play set. (from He-Man), and I keep it out on display. It's just a weird yet nostalgic decor for me.
1596062357585.png

I have an extensive collection of seashells and other "ocean stuff" like sand dollars, a starfish and a horseshoe crab shell.
I have a 3 foot plastic crocodile..It looks real, but of course, a mini version. It used to be in the back window ledge of my late Grandfather's car, and when he passed I really wanted it as it holds a lot of awesome memories of him driving us to camp.

Oh and I still have a rotary phone and it still works. I actually use it for when the power goes out since cordless phones don't work without power...and I don't have a cell.

I actually have quite a few weird and/or unusual items I've collected over the years...I like weird and old stuff...

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't all that unusual, but it's really the only interesting thing I own: a Royal typewriter that I believe was made in 1937. I'm a writer, so I've been wanting to collect typewriters and this is my first one. My mom is an avid sewer and has dozens of antique sewing machines.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just thought of another weird thing I own. I have a 3D printed Festivus pole that was the "prize" at my work's Festivus party a few years ago. I won the feats of strength that year and got to put my name on the Festivus Trophy and then got the 3D printed pole. I work with a bunch of weirdos and I love them.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few "odd" things.
A tree root or partial branch that kind of looks like Treebeard from LoTR
A part of a wasp nest
A beehive under a glass dome
A large picture book of "The Scarlet Letter"
A collection of odd rocks and crystals--mostly found rather than bought
A small (ish) animal skull with small crystals growing on it
A stuffed Grover from around 1976
Jars of old nails and pins
A jar with a few molted skins of my recently departed spider

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my kids baby teeth I keep them in a jewelry box.
My 10 year old son has an odd belonging, a glass votive candle holder filled with clipped toenails and fingernails. I’ve tried to throw them out but he won’t let me. He’s been collecting them for years.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would love to see a picture of that! :please:
It might take some imagining to see him, but I thought of Treebeard when I found it. An angry Treebeard about to unleash hell! Haha!

I also have dried plants, old found bones (other than the skull), and a bunch of stuff I just find interesting or of use. Treebeard is on a shelf with a bunch of other whatnots over my goldfish tank in the kitchen.
20200730_101524.jpg

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of books from the 1800s. One is a leather bound book (Enoch Arden) by Tennyson, which doesn’t have a copyright in it. The other is Seventy Lessons in Spelling, copywright1885.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have a very old wooden snake. My parents have no idea where it came from, but I had it when I was a little girl and then lost it.
Well, it turns out, my mother had taken it and she was going to sell it (I guess it's worth a few bucks), but then she didn't have the heart to do that to me, which is surprising in itself. Anyway, we were doing a yard sale for my parents many years ago and I was rooting around in a box, and out popped my snake! I had always wondered what happened to him; he just disappeared and I was just tickled to death to find him. He is now living under my computer monitor on my desk. And he's pretty awesome. Depending on how you hold him, he can slowly move around.