Unusual spot?

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Samba is almost 8 months old now. I posted pics when I got him that showed off his odd spot but I don't think I posted them in this section. Now at almost 8 months old, the spot is still there. So what causes this??

Pic from 3? months old:

And now. Not the best pics but you can still see the spot

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow - what you have is a MALE tortie lynx point. He's got the red and the black on him.

You definately need to get him in the show rings!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I kind of thought the same thing, although I would call it a male patched tabby pointed cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The correct term would be tortie lynx point - I've seen them in Birmans or Ragdolls and also Siamese. That's the term you would use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info! I've never really looked into showing but I think it would be fun! Do you have any recommendations on where I should start?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe so, but genetically he would be a male tortie. I know of a female who was granded as a black and when bred to a black, she produced a tortie kitten. When they went over her entire body, they found one tiny red spot on her leg that no one ever noticed - she was genetically a tortie.

Its the reverse for your boy - he's got red lynx point and one black spot. I don't think that somatic mutation would apply to cats.

I say he's a male tortie lynx point. I would show him and see/ask the judges what they think.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Its the reverse for your boy - he's got red lynx point and one black spot. I don't think that somatic mutation would apply to cats.
Somatic mutations do occur in cats, and have been found in cats which at first appeared to be fertile tortoiseshell males.
It's possible he could be a tortie genetically, but since it is just the one spot it is also possible it could be a somatic mutation.
If taken to a cat show he would most likely be labeled as a tortie since it would be difficult to discern whether there was a somatic mutation without genetic testing or test breeding.