Unusual restaurant foods

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last week I visited a restaurant in Georgia. I ate sweet potato french fries and a fried dill pickle! Both were good! Seems like a lot of restaurants are repeats of the same old things. What unusual stuff have you run into lately?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have seen the sweet potato fries up here before, but never a fried dill pickle!

One item that I found recently that was a very pleasant surprise was instead of fried mozzarella sticks, one restaurant had fried Asiago cheese sticks. They were fantastic! Another restaurant in the area has a smoked turkey quesadilla that is served wtih a cranberry salsa that is very unusual.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yum! That turkey quesadilla sounds fantastic! I get so annoyed that all American restaurants seem to jump on a bandwagon and serve the same thing. How many places now have a version of the fried onion bloom that originated at Outback?

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

Oh yum! That turkey quesadilla sounds fantastic! I get so annoyed that all American restaurants seem to jump on a bandwagon and serve the same thing. How many places now have a version of the fried onion bloom that originated at Outback?
True, but that's just basically a different way to serve onion rings, and what could be bad about that?

I love sweet potato fries. Fried dill pickles are tasty as well. I would also be up for the fried Asiago and the turkey quesadilla ... but then, what food am I not up for?

I get sick of pizza, but Minsky's (local chain) serves a pizza that is white sauce, mozzarella, provolone, Swiss, Parmesan, and feta, with rosemary sprinkled on top. It is so so so tasty.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I find myself going to independently owned restaurants normally. We only go to some of the chains when the other places are too packed.

I also forgot about the Chinese restaurant down the road. They are a little more inventive thann most. I have seen them incorporate chourico and kielbasa into some of the chinese dishes.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

Last week I visited a restaurant in Georgia. I ate sweet potato french fries and a fried dill pickle! Both were good! Seems like a lot of restaurants are repeats of the same old things. What unusual stuff have you run into lately?
When you have them, did they give you a dipping sauce? I had them up in Tomahawk, WI and they made it with what I thought would be sour cream or ranch, but it was sour cream of some sort, with a hint of ginger in it!! OMG it was sooo good, and I don't like sweet potato fries or sweet potatoes AT ALL....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One restaraunt by where we use to live made a chicken something or other and the item used to bread the chicken was Cap N' Crunch. It was really good, but easily filling!

Ooo..and I just made sweet potato fries the other day. I found them in a recipe book. They are good!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been to so many restaurants it would be too long to list all of the different foods.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I LOVE sweet potato fries, I had them in the states and they become addictive!!!! And its more healthier than normal potato fries. Lunasmom, if you have the recipe, could you pretty please PM it to me? I miss them! Thanks!

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of favorite restaurants that are wonderful, fresh ingredients and ususal combinations.

Blackened green beans..yum
Roasted sweet potato burrito with tofu or cheese (vegetarian restaurant)
Pots de chocolate..with mission figs and chile pepper...paired with a port wine ...to die for

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the Shakespeare festival up in Canada and there was a falafel bar. Which was super-exciting, because its one of my favorite foods and hardly anyone makes it (there is one place here that does, but not the way I like it).
(its a chickpea patty fried, usually in Olive oil)
There is a delivery place here that does fried oreos and fried pickles. And there mozzarella sticks come covered in cucumbers? Oddly.
Ohh, and there is a place that serves Quinoa where I grew up, too. Which is good.

This isn't at a restaurant, but when we go visit family in MN, what they call beans and rice is rice with green beans on top. To me, its rice with black beans mixed in.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
evnshawn, I would drive all the way back to Kansas City for a tenderloin sandwich from Texas Toms's, or a Max' burger from the place at 85th and Wornall. Yuuuuuumy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

One restaraunt by where we use to live made a chicken something or other and the item used to bread the chicken was Cap N' Crunch. It was really good, but easily filling!
Ooo, we had a restaurant at one point that breaded their chicken fingers with Cap'n Crunch. They were good! Too bad that place has long since gone by the wayside.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I have seen the sweet potato fries up here before, but never a fried dill pickle!
i've never seen sweet potato fries, but there's a local place that serves fried dill pickles - the slices, like you put on burgers. they're pretty good

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The local Ethiopian restaurant has raw beef on the menu. I won't be trying that one!!! Everything else I really like and its very unique (a varient of Indian spices) on injera bread. Evidently trying to adding the raw beef to their menu delayed the opening of the restaurant as it wasn't seen to be a safe menu item.

Oh yah and no silverware. You eat by tearing the enjera bread and grabbing the meat inside.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by okeefecl

I've seen, but never tried, battered fried Three Musketeer bars and battered fried cheesecake.
Ah yes fair food! Or heart-attacks as we like to call them. I have to say I havne't been interested in trying them myself eihter but my fiance does!!

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Battered fried brownies with vanilla ice cream are the best!

My favorite thing is french fries with melted cheddar/monteray jack, bacon, chives w a ranch dipping sauce! and I must also add ketchup!