unusual peeing

jazziemeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a desexed female burmese cat, shes extremely affectionate, and does have a respritory disorder. the first sign of peeing we've had was about 7 months ago on our front door and originally thought it was our neighbours dog. after a while it happened every day when we know for a fact the dog hasnt been around so we started thinking it was one of our cats, we do have a male birman who is desexed as well. and know its not him as our female has been caught doing her business in the bathroom once, then we've noticed peeing on our clothes, kitchen and bathroom benches. we still havent caught her in the act of doing it in these places though except for the one time. 
we have used vinegar solutions, and other chemicals that cats wont go near to try and stop this from happening but now its at the point were my father wants to get rid of her :( 
we are unsure on what to do now, whether this may be some sort of medical condition or anything. we dont want to really take her to the vet unless absolute due to the expense. we cant see it being stressed related because our home is very loving and her and our male cat are the best of friends. 
does anyone have any ideas on what maybe causing this ? and how to stop it 

thanks 

nancyjonesaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been having problems with 3 of our 4 cats. The 2 males are peeing outside the litter box. 3 of the cats are black and either Bombays or Burmese, not sure which, but their fur is different from the 4th cat. It seems very staticky, They come out of the litter box covered in dust. They lick the dust off and it goes in to their digestive tract causing infection and blockages. I've noticed small amounts of blood in the litter box and the cats have been exibiting some unusual behavior, meowing a lot, frequent urination but only small amounts, lethargic and as I mentioned above, peeing outside the box. I think they are in pain and associate the pain with the litter box, that's why they dont want to use it. I'm convinced its the clumping litter even though I use the best on the market. I feel so bad that it is making them sick. I've been researching all night about alternative cat litters. That might be what you need to do as well. Your cat maybe having the same issue with the litter. Cats can also be very picky about perfumes and textures.  Good luck!

nancyjonesaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The respiratory disorder is most likely from the dust in the cat litter.  That is very common. I think I'm going to try the chicken scratch. Going to get some tomorrow...um...later today after I go to sleep! LOL!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have been having problems with 3 of our 4 cats. The 2 males are peeing outside the litter box. 3 of the cats are black and either Bombays or Burmese, not sure which, but their fur is different from the 4th cat. It seems very staticky, They come out of the litter box covered in dust. They lick the dust off and it goes in to their digestive tract causing infection and blockages. I've noticed small amounts of blood in the litter box and the cats have been exibiting some unusual behavior, meowing a lot, frequent urination but only small amounts, lethargic and as I mentioned above, peeing outside the box. I think they are in pain and associate the pain with the litter box, that's why they dont want to use it. I'm convinced its the clumping litter even though I use the best on the market. I feel so bad that it is making them sick. I've been researching all night about alternative cat litters. That might be what you need to do as well. Your cat maybe having the same issue with the litter. Cats can also be very picky about perfumes and textures.  Good luck!
If there is blood in the litter box you need to take them to a vet right away as they have a uti and possibly a blockage. Cats will die if they are not treated by a vet.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i have a desexed female burmese cat, shes extremely affectionate, and does have a respritory disorder. the first sign of peeing we've had was about 7 months ago on our front door and originally thought it was our neighbours dog. after a while it happened every day when we know for a fact the dog hasnt been around so we started thinking it was one of our cats, we do have a male birman who is desexed as well. and know its not him as our female has been caught doing her business in the bathroom once, then we've noticed peeing on our clothes, kitchen and bathroom benches. we still havent caught her in the act of doing it in these places though except for the one time. 

we have used vinegar solutions, and other chemicals that cats wont go near to try and stop this from happening but now its at the point were my father wants to get rid of her :( 

we are unsure on what to do now, whether this may be some sort of medical condition or anything. we dont want to really take her to the vet unless absolute due to the expense. we cant see it being stressed related because our home is very loving and her and our male cat are the best of friends. 

does anyone have any ideas on what maybe causing this ? and how to stop it 
thanks 
Again your cat should also be seen by the vet because peeing outside the litterbox is a sign of a uti and very dangerous in cats!

She may also keep peeing on things because it sounds like you are not using an enzyme cleaner. You need to get an enzyme cleaner because other cleaners will not get rid of the scent and this causes cats to keep peeing in that spot.

tx_kat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our girls started spraying and peeing because of stress caused by a couple of things (we fostered an injured kitten then a new feral cat started coming around our house).  We tried almost everything suggested on the internet and in the books, but nothing worked.  We finally took her (and our other female who has also started spraying) to the vet, and they were prescribed medication to help with their anxiety while we keep trying to trap this feral cat and remove him from the area.  They've been on the medication only two days, but we can already see (and smell) a difference. 

The "peeing" on the front door sounds more like spraying to me.  If she's spraying the door, there may be some animal outside that is coming around and your girl is marking her territory, or she may just be stressed by another animal's presence.  Either way, you need to take her to the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection.  Blood work wouldn't be a bad idea, either.  Like our vet said, inappropriate peeing and spraying is either because of something between the legs (UTI) or between the ears (psychological); and they can rule out the former and medicate the latter.  Yes, it will likely run you at least $100 or more, but that's part of being a pet owner.  The cost of replacing the pieces of furniture that have been ruined is much higher than the vet bill and medication for both girls.

As for cleaning the soiled areas, the best regimen I've found is hitting the area first with an enzymatic cleaner then with an oxy cleaner the next day (after the area is thoroughly dry).  When you clean the area, put a ring of the cleaner around the area to stop the stain from spreading, then douse the area with the cleaner.  I've been able to save a couple pieces of furniture that way.  I use the enzymatic cleaner on the clothing (and curtains) that she has peed on, then wash in either cold or warm water with a second rinse cycle, adding a cup of vinegar to the second rinse cycle.  Then I do a third rinse cycle with plain water.  So far, we haven't had any repeats

jdragdoll

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat has a repeated history of peeing on blankets and carpet for 6 months now. She has been to the vet twice and found no medical issues.

I have two other male cats and 3 litter boxes and the males have no problems. She will usually go in a litter box, but every few days she goes on a section of carpet, a pile of clothes, or a blanket.

Just now, she peed on a blanket on the floor right next to me. She knew what she did was wrong because as soon as it was done, she looked up at me and then ran away full speed. I've tried anti-anxiety medication, catnip, placing food next to places she's gone, none of it works as after a few days, she'll hit someplace else. I found two sections of my brand new carpet that she has hit repeatedly (so it is not pain aversion) and if it weren't SCOE10x, I would have one less cat.

Right now she is stuck outside and I won't let her back in until I can figure out how to stop it.

nancyjonesaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is trying to tell you something. Maybe she doesnt like the location of the litter boxes or the kind of litter. I would try to separate the cats for a while and keep her in a place where she is the only one using one of the boxes. It might be that she doesnt want to share. Do the male cats scare or intimidate her while she is in the box? 

nancyjonesaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took her to the vet, she 's on anti biotics now. Trying different kinds of litters, and got another box so we have 5 now. I have to move the cat boxes out of the laundry room while I'm doing laundry since now they are getting freaked out by the noises from the machines! UGH!  They never used to be this weird about things but since they have these potty issues they seemed to be getting more skittish, and fearful. I'm hoping that once they are all feeling better and get accustomed to the new litters they will calm down and behave like the cats they used to be. :)