Unusual hind leg posture

webdj777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I've had my cat for about 6 months. She's 2.5yrs old. When she lays down, she frequently does this tripod-like posture with her back legs rather than laying them down. She does it somewhat less frequently than when I first got her, and will typically lay them down if she's fully on her side, but it's not unusual for her. I've wondered if there's something uncomfortable with them laying down like a normal cat? Any thoughts?

MVIMG_20200203_232405.jpg

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat does this and always has. I've seen this come up before in a forum and evidently it's not that unusual. I had never had a cat lay like this before until I got Manny and I've had a lot of cats. I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Hopefully some other members will show up and confirm what I'm saying.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't think it is the same thing as with your cat, but Feeby (15+ yo) holds that position for awhile before she moves to lay down on her side. I don't recall her doing it when she was younger, but maybe I didn't pay close enough attention. I contribute her doing this now because of her arthritis, so I just assume she is slowly making her way to a full laying down position. She doesn't actually sleep that way though.

But, I am also thinking there is something 'comforting' about holding that particular position. Maybe your girl does it a bit less now than she used to because she is feeling more secure in your home than she was originally?