Unusual cat colony situation; need advice on litter

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,
New Member, I'm the "Facilities Manager" at the Port Penn Cat Colony

TL; DR:
I need advice on cheap (obviously), lightweight; easy to store cat litter. I've been using Pets Pick 141L Cedar Shavings (which are kiln-dried to remove toxins) in the cat boxes. We'd go through a bag for three XL litter boxes every 1 - 2 weeks , depending on season (they can use an outside box when it isn't snow-covered or raining). But, it has recently gone from $8.50 to $10 a bag, when I can find it. I tried the Tractor Supply Softwood Shavings, but volunteers noted it was much more dusty. Does anyone else use anything similar?

Long Story:
I help run a feral / stray cat colony in Port Penn, DE. The 8 cats are all FiV, so they are in a shed (10x10) and adjacent run (10x30), and get daily visits from volunteers. It is totally off-grid, with no services - so what is cleaned up must be taken out & home by the volunteer to dispose of. In addition to 3 XL boxes, we also have a large (6ftx6ft) raised "bed" of mulch & sand that I lime every 2-4 weeks when the cats use it (3 seasons). We also have LIMITED storage - we have a small "air lock" inside the front door to the shed where we keep cleaning supplies, and a couple of large plastic bins / seats outside that we can store some things. Pallets of supplies have to be stored at a volunteer's (usually my) location. As part of the deal* with the volunteers, all supplies are provided (cleaning, food, water, litter) - between myself, the primary founder of the colony, and donations via Facebook. So, keeping costs as low as possible is ALWAYS a concern (we have a meager amount in a checking account, but we try to save it for vet visits and other big-ticket items (solar systems, etc.)

* A volunteer typically only needs to show up, take cleaning supplies out of the cabinet, use them to clean the inside of the shed, clean the litter pans, refill the water bowls & dry food dispensers, and grab two cans of wet food from the heater and put them in bowls. The only thing they need to take OUT with them is the dirty litter, used paper towels, empty cat food cans (we even supply the garbage bags).

And yes, I haven't looked around yet as to where to post, but I'd be happy to share my failures and successes that I've had, including a very cheap off-grid way to keep canned cat food and water bowls from freezing!

Last edited by a moderator:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I went to your FB page; that is quite a story of the beginning of your colony! Years ago, at work, two of us maintained a colony of about 8 cats in the parking lot of the facility, fortunately with the blessings of the admins.

Any advice that you have or would like to add to TCS, particularly to this forum, would be welcome...when you have the time. It is a lot of work and I understand that you probably are not sitting around with much time on your hands.

You do not want to use a conventional light weight cat litter? I do understand that a lot of people do not want to use that kind of litter, so not criticizing you there. I happen to use a very standard litter which would not solve your problem. It creates weight even when I clean litter boxes in my house. The closest I have come to using lightweight litters was the Kroger brand during the height of the pandemic.

Search Results for Query: lightweight litter
Check through these threads and see if anything comes up.

Hopefully others will reply to this with some advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cayz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem I have(?) with lightweight litter is the cost. The cheapest I have seen was $15 for a 18# pail (Tidy Cats yellow pail), and that would fill the 3 boxes once. And with 6 different volunteers, some of who scoop, some who simply dump everything, that gets expensive, unless it is really really cheap. I'll follow the search query tonight or later this week.