Unusual color?

Babec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a six month old kitten that was pure black and white when he was young. As he ages his coat is getting tipped in grey with a black and grey striped tail like a raccoon.
Does anyone have any idea why he would be changing color. He is a very healthy kitten!

Attachments

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe your kitty has a fever coat, which occurs when the mother has a fever or otherwise is stressed while she is carrying the kittens.

His grey coat should change in several more months. Fever coats have no health implication for the kittens. He'll be just fine.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen one weird cat in my neighborhood that is/was similar. At first, he was pure black, but a few weeks later, the undercoat was gray (he was a long hair). I posted on TCS asking if this was a fever coat. Everyone said no because the undercoat would be pure white. Months later, I saw him again, and he was almost pure white all over, except for some black/gray hairs on his tail. So I dunno. Next time I see him I expect him to be pure white.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe your kitty has a fever coat, which occurs when the mother has a fever or otherwise is stressed while she is carrying the kittens.

His grey coat should change in several more months. Fever coats have no health implication for the kittens. He'll be just fine.
Thank you so much for the information.
I have been worried about his health with his sudden change in color.

Babec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've seen one weird cat in my neighborhood that is/was similar. At first, he was pure black, but a few weeks later, the undercoat was gray (he was a long hair). I posted on TCS asking if this was a fever coat. Everyone said no because the undercoat would be pure white. Months later, I saw him again, and he was almost pure white all over, except for some black/gray hairs on his tail. So I dunno. Next time I see him I expect him to be pure white.
Thank you for the information!! Very interesting.
His undercoat is just like the tip color. Not white.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's normal, black cats have a grey undercoat so it might just be more prominent. I have a brown torbie with a grey tail and my brown tabby has some grey in his tail to. I don't think it's anything but just a unique characteristic. It could shed out too or it could just be his adult coat coming in.
20210729_184434.jpg

Babec

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's normal, black cats have a grey undercoat so it might just be more prominent. I have a brown torbie with a grey tail and my brown tabby has some grey in his tail to. I don't think it's anything but just a unique characteristic. It could shed out too or it could just be his adult coat coming in.View attachment 399637
Thank you for the info. Your kitty is beautiful!