Unusual cats at the shelter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a pair of American Curls at the shelter. I've never even seen one before, except in pictures. I'm guessing they were an owner surrender. One full grown tabby, and one full-grown black with a short tail.

How could someone take them to the shelter?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see them at shows and there are many purebred cats that end up in shlters when they should be returned to the breeder if they can not be kept.
We got a purebred German Short Hair Pointer at the pound in San Mateo.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately some people do not do the right thing and contact their breeder who will likely either help place them or take them back depending on the circumstances.

I don't think there are many AC breeders, perhaps there is a Yahoo list for them like other breeds and the breeder could be tracked down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They were still in isolation and I'm not allowed in that room. Only rabies-vaccinated employees can go in there. If they go out for adoption, I'll get a pic if I can.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've contacted my neighbor (CFA judge). She is a member of a large network of breeders, etc that will rescue purebreds from shelters for rehoming. I'll connect the two of you if she knows of someone who can help.

They do GOOD work.

Cally

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of purebred dogs end up at shelters. . .most BYBs don't want them back! I'm sure it's the same with the more popular cat breeds. But Curls are rare enough that I'm sure there aren't many BYBs yets, and ther must be a breed rescue for them as well. I hope you can get them to the right people!

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a rescue person's info coming via my neighbor--she WILL take them. I'll pm you shortly with it.

My neighbor also said the REAL name for them is "Highlanders."

C

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see them at shows.
Does neighbor know Bruce and Diana?
They show American Curls and I see them at all the shows.
Is your neighbor Pam?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mews2Much,

No, that's not my neighbor, but she does seem to know almost everyone.

Mike,

I just got an e from my neighbor, stating the cats have already been handled. I'm telling you, they can almost smell when there are pedigrees in a shelter and they take care of them! I remember one time a few years ago my neighbor took in what seemed to be a ZILLION Persians when the breeder/owner died unexpectedly. It took her a while, but she placed every one of them.

C

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, a Dallas-area purebred rescue is going to take them in. They asked if I could transport them today, but I had a previous engagement. If their arrangements don't work out today, I told them I'd take them up to Irving tomorrow.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

I don't understand how someone can take ANY cat to the shelter.

You should post pics!
I agree. I don't see how anybody can just take an animal to the shelter and drop it off without looking back. Though when I was at the shelter last time, I saw a man dropping off a tiny kitten he found in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant. I guess he was trying to prevent it from being hit by a car on the highway or starving to death.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have chills right now! I just read this thread and I'm so amazed at the network of caring folks on here! So glad those kitties were rescued. Seeing kittties at any shelter is so sad.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

I agree. I don't see how anybody can just take an animal to the shelter and drop it off without looking back. Though when I was at the shelter last time, I saw a man dropping off a tiny kitten he found in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant. I guess he was trying to prevent it from being hit by a car on the highway or starving to death.
I have no problem with people dropping strays at a shelter. I don't expect the average person to take the cat home to foster it. It's when people dump their longtime pets at the shelter that I wonder what's wrong with them.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I have no problem with people dropping strays at a shelter. I don't expect the average person to take the cat home to foster it. It's when people dump their longtime pets at the shelter that I wonder what's wrong with them.
We currently have a gorgeous cream tabby medium hair boy, declawed, who was dumped at the shelter overnight a while back. He LOVES people, dogs, everything! A real mystery why he would be abandoned, but since it was done "secretly," you have to wonder if the owner felt guilty about it.

We oppose declawing...but declawed cats are almost never put to sleep at our shelter. If they don't get adopted here, they are transferred to someone who has a really high-volume adoption program.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mrblanche;2939059 said:
We currently have a gorgeous cream tabby medium hair boy, declawed, who was dumped at the shelter overnight a while back. He LOVES people, dogs, everything! A real mystery why he would be abandoned, but since it was done "secretly," you have to wonder if the owner felt guilty about it.

QUOTE]

A very sad fact is that sometimes it's the bad spouse, not the owner, doing it
Far too many times, an abused wife will finally admit that her cat or little dog "disappeared" and her abusive husband will not admit to knowing anything about it. And, of course, law enforcement tends to not be able to care less about mere cats or "yappy dogs" and so then the wife is on her own, wondering about her "fur baby" is alive or dead, okay or not okay, in addition to wondering when she's gonna "get it" next and whether or not her kids will stay cowering in their rooms as ordered, or if the next time, little Johnnie's gonna come running out with his Little League bat, to defend Mommy, and is gonna be the next victim

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

My neighbor also said the REAL name for them is "Highlanders."

C
So are Highlanders and American Curl the same breed? We have American Curls over here, have seen them many times in shows (FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]). My german import British Longhair's original pedigree says she is a Highlander which is the name of British Longhair breed in her original registering organization. In TICA she is BLH. I assume the german Highlander has nothing to do with the american Highlander. Confusing.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

So are Highlanders and American Curl the same breed?
It appears that CFA and TICA both call them American Curls, TICA has another separate breed called Highlander has the curled ears but with a bob tail.