Unusual Cat Tail Expression

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is just something I am curious about, but I am pretty sure it means the cat is happy. When Count is happy his tail is usually like A, but occasionally he holds it like B for 30 seconds or so. He changes posture whenever he sees my phone so I am unable to take a picture but is is basically like having his tail parallel to his body, usually happens after the question mark (A) shape happens but something happened that makes him even happier. Like him sensing that I am going to give him wet food and when I actually give it.

Sorry for the drawings that look like a blindfolded 3 year old drew.

(Also another weird thing I noticed is when his tail is in the submissive position, it is curled near his paws and not tucked in between his legs)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did a lot of Googleling but I can't find what I am asking about. That chart doesn't have it either.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know. Hopefully other members, with more cat experience, will post with their thoughts. I think, maybe, Count is just very expressive with his tail motions.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, all I managed to find was a cat pic with similar tail angle, and the cat is labeled as an American Ringtail (see pic 1). Also, found this other chart about tail-types associated with breeds - note the ring tail range... perhaps Count has some American Ringtail in him??? :rolleyes2: ;)

View attachment 281498 View attachment 281499
Well he is supposed to be purebred, but who knows? I certainly don't trust the breeder anymore. Either way, I really like his tail, I think his tail makes him even more unique. I just couldn't find anything till now, and the vet didn't know. I guess he has the same mutation as ringtails.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From Wikipedia:
There are multiple types of curly-tailed cats whose tails loop over the back or form tight corkscrews. One such mutation has been developed into the American Ringtail, but others have been regarded as curiosities and not perpetuated. The gene(s) responsible have not been fully investigated. However a research study is under way at UC Davis under the guidance of Leslie A. Lyons. DNA samples are being assembled via http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/Catgenetics/Feline_Research_Projects.html.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Count is just 'special' - you already knew that!!

Here are a couple of articles on Ringtail cats. (I couldn't open your link?). See if some of the characteristics match Count (from what I know, I think so). Talks about a broad muscular tail, with bones that are not completely fused together, hence the ability to do different things with their tails. Some other pretty nice features/characteristics as well!!

If not, well, as I said he is just 'special'!!! Any way you look at it, you've got one heck-of-a-cat!!

American Ringtail Cat - PetShopTop

Of Cats: American Ringtail

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Silas has a sort of ring-tail to him. His tail is extra long, and he often has it curved around his body like in "flank-curve" or the "aerial-curve," except his tail is so long that it sits up by his neck or front legs. If he can hold still for a minute, I will try and get a picture.

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(I couldn't open your link?)
Yeah it was from the Wikipedia article but it seems to be dead. Here is the article I copied from:
Cat body-type mutation - Wikipedia

The famous ring tail is owing to two distinct genes that produce the 'upright' and 'curled' appearance of the tail. They are seen in certain feral and domestic cats and even in purebreds. They are not associated with any health ailment. The tail itself is broad and muscular at the base with well developed bones that are not fused together.
The tail is wider on the base and muscular. From the older xrays (below) none of the bones look fused to me. I guess Count has this mutation. Plus, it says that the mutation can occur on any cat including purebreds, so this supports the theory. I am very lucky to have such a special cat.

Our Silas has a sort of ring-tail to him. His tail is extra long, and he often has it curved around his body like in "flank-curve" or the "aerial-curve," except his tail is so long that it sits up by his neck or front legs. If he can hold still for a minute, I will try and get a picture.
Count's tail is huge too, though I don't know if it is from the mutation or just from his breed. Maine coons are supposed have long tails. When his tail is in the B position, it is over his front legs, barely behind his head. But I don't see him doing the flank curve or aerial curve. It is more like flat to body, but it is parallel above the body, and doesn't touch the body. If Silas is like Count, good luck taking a picture of the tail in that position.

Just to give an idea about his tail length:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Silas is like Count, good luck taking a picture of the tail in that position.
We may never see...! If you do get one, either of you, start a thread about it - I'd love to see who else could provide similar pics!!!

It's kind of like the one I started about Feeby's eyebrows - I thought I would see tons of them, alas - not. But, I guess that is a good thing, so that makes her even more special than I knew she already was!!

Count doing better??

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Count doing better??
Everything is pretty much the same since the last update. I removed his cone for a few minutes to let him groom himself. He very enthusiasticly licked himself. I never saw him like that. I stopped him when he started to lick the incision and put the collar back on.

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one of the extra special (mutated) kitties too. I knew she was special but then when I found out about this crazy tail I was thinking - oh you and I are meant to be together (no I don't have a curly tail *heh heh*)

Here is one of the photos I took (I'm compiling a baby book so to speak heh heh) but it really curls in expression when she's right near me.

Attachments

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh another trait - well two - that Maisie exhibits is that she tries to bury her food dish after she's finished eating.
I had to get rid of the plastic mat I had under her food & water dishes because she was forever flipping the mat - and I was forever cleaning up water.
When I see her pawing the ground near her dish, I just take it away or she'll just stand there "burying" it. LOL

Maisie is also an extremely quiet kitty. I've never known one like her. She is my # 7 cat (lucky # 7 ? ) She chirps around the apartment on occasion and I just answer back with a "helloooooo"

When I am preparing her dinner, she doesn't say a peep. Seriously. Not a meow. Nothing. Not even a chirp.

Definitely shows those two Ringtail traits

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh another trait - well two - that Maisie exhibits is that she tries to bury her food dish after she's finished eating.
I had to get rid of the plastic mat I had under her food & water dishes because she was forever flipping the mat - and I was forever cleaning up water.
When I see her pawing the ground near her dish, I just take it away or she'll just stand there "burying" it. LOL

Maisie is also an extremely quiet kitty. I've never known one like her. She is my # 7 cat (lucky # 7 ? ) She chirps around the apartment on occasion and I just answer back with a "helloooooo"

When I am preparing her dinner, she doesn't say a peep. Seriously. Not a meow. Nothing. Not even a chirp.

Definitely shows those two Ringtail traits
Count likes to bury his food too, but only if it's wet food, he doesn't bury kibble.
He definitely isn't the quietest kitty though.

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my! He's soooooo cute.
Was he talking the spirits?

I swear Maisie was going to drive ME up the wall as she was fixated on something at the top of the ceiling last night. I was scared she was going to climb up the curtains to get to whatever she "saw" But all the while, not a peep.
I'm not sure if it was her rough start in life or not. Someone said she has no need to talk - that I give her everything she needs. That sounds logical but in reality we all know our cats meow at us for not serving up dinner fast enough LOL

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was he talking the spirits?
Yep. There was nothing on the ceiling. If I didn't live on the seventh floor I would suspect a rat or something like that but not the case. No visible bugs either. I was on the phone with my mom when he was doing this, and she thought Count was in serious pain. I told her he was just meowing, but she didn't believe me until she finally met him last week (this video is from a month ago). I quickly finished the conversation and filmed this. He was like this for much longer.

That sounds logical but in reality we all know our cats meow at us for not serving up dinner fast enough LOL
Tell me about it. I don't let him in the kitchen because there are harmful stuff around, but his food is in there. Everytime I go to the kitchen I have to listen to him meow like in the video. It is both very cute and annoying.