Unsure what this anal problem is. (Pics included)

Houndhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I received a little kitten at almost 4 weeks old a couple weeks ago with what appeared to be an irritated rectum.
I was told its pirated because it didnr poop for 2 days, then pooped alot. We wiped it carefully for a couple days and had some blood, and it flared up red. Then that stopped and one of my cats spend the next week cleaning her and we let that happen so she would get the mother stimulating her and cleaning her.
It has cleared up but looks weird still. I k ow someone who said it does in fact look just like an irritated bum and to monitor it, but it look weird still.
I dont have alot of money for a couple weeks, and hope it's not serious. I can only cover a vet visit and maybe a little extra. I was not expecting this right away
In this picture is today but in mid poop so it has stuff about to come out. In the second one was a couple days ago
I didnt pick her up while straining to poop, she was sleeping and bout to
Any help would be appreciated
Is this inflamed or more serious like a prolapse, it gets smaller each day. I plan to at least have a vet visit appointment made tomorrow and see what I can work out

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Houndhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm no help, but I think a vet visit is definitely called for in this case.
I am making an appointment tomorrow, but I just dont have 500 plus for surgery if that's needed. I can cover basic work. But when my other cat had pyometre, they let me pay half down and half in 2 weeks, so maybe they can help me again. But that was life and death, and this is....I dunno

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pyometra is one thing, this looks like a lot of irritation from diarrhea. Maybe the surrogate mom is irritating things. I am sure there are parasites involved. When you take the kitten in, I would take a stool sample along to check. It may be more than what a regular fecal checks for... Giardia panel or one of the others, but Giardia would be good to check for.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like a strep infection to me, and will be easily cured with antibiotics. It can be very painful, so you may want to apply petroleum jelly until you see the vet. Here is a link that explains it in children, but cats can get it too! My daughter had it as a baby, but it cleared quickly with treatment.

Perianal streptococcal cellulitis: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

The vet should recognize it, but if not please mention it. No tests necessary. Amoxicillin should clear it. They may give you a topical cream as well.

H Houndhunter

Houndhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great! Let us know what the vet says/does! I hope they can see her quickly. :)
So I guess after talking to where I got her from, at least one parent is a manx.
So I went and did some research into tailless manx and found that there is a manx syndrome. It causes incontinence, and a bunny like hop. So it's something that can happen with these cats. So its was just getting sore and needed some cream. It is looking much better
I wanted to get back with you and let you know what I found out. So I am taking her still today for a full exam and some help with managing the syndrome.
I do feel a bit better knowing i found out she is a manx baby, tailless, and her problems are probably just stemming from being born with that, then getting constipated and rashed up
I believe this is gonna be alot of work, but I will keep her for as long as I can. She is a healthy, happy cat, other than this. She is just gonna need diapers, and maybe help with pooping, because after a half day, she is leaking some and her butt gets puffy. Again, I'll talk to the vet for best care in this respect. Although tips help Haha.
I hope she stays healthy and happy for a long time, most of my pets are at least 15 before I lose them. And she will get the best care I can provide. She has some cream we ordered, puppy pads, made some diapers with some ankle socks padded for now cuz she's so small still, a box and a heating pad floor by the bed for now as a nest, with a surrogate mom sleeping with her, pet store brand Merrick soft food, and so on.
Here is a couple pics of her. Thanks for helping out.

Attachments

Houndhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So after seeing the vet, he wasnt familiar with the term manx syndrome, but he knew what was wrong, and seen it before. He verified it was that tho. He said my care has been perfect, and there isnt much more I can do.

He did the listen to her heart and everything and she perfectly healthy, other than incontinence, but said sometimes they can tighten up with age. She is only 6 weeks today. He said it might be a good idea to wait a month er so for shots too.
I have some penatin cream he said was perfect and didnt need a script. Also he said he thinks she dont need antibiotics since it just looks basically irritated from diaper rash. Also since she is small and young, I keep her in a box at night with her surrogate mom that took her on with a heating pad for now for safety, and check on her every night.

So she isnt in a bad way, just leaky and kind of a rabbit hop, he even said the gait was ok. He is a decent vet, its family owned for like 50 years, 2 seperate offices, works in office and on farms with cows and stuff. Also only 35 for a visit, so cant go wrong. Thanks for helping out

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful that you found all this out. It must have relieved your mind and taken a load off your shoulders. Keep up the good work!

Houndhunter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's wonderful that you found all this out. It must have relieved your mind and taken a load off your shoulders. Keep up the good work!
It is nice to know she kinda mild. I just have to work on things like diet, house proofing, diapers and so on. I mostly have hardwood for easy clean.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good the vet knew what was going on because Manx syndrome doesn't really make a lot of sense. Its parent was probably just a cat with no tail and they assumed this made it a Manx. Anyway, did they check for parasites? It is almost certain a kitten from questionable background would have some sort of parasite. Vaccines usually start around 8 or so weeks so waiting until 10 for all this to clear up should be fine. Did the vet actually suggest diapers???!! Just get a stool checked, get a good kitten diet, and keep the cat confined until this can clear up. Probiotics could help also. I wouldn't be surprised if there are parasites causing the loose stool though.