Unsure on what to do

Pine cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 female cats from the same litter they are nearly 2 years of age. They are all pregnant. 1 gave birth yesterday and isn't very meternal she lost 2 and only has 1 left she seems more interested in what me and my girlfriend are doing rather than nursing, she only really nurses when we are there with her. One of my other cats is ready to drop I'm pretty sure they got caught by the same cat on the same day, she however is very meternal, she is trying to nurse the kitten from the other cat and take it to other safe spaces. I don't know what to do as it's hard to keep the cats separated. Should I be letting the still pregnant sister nurse the newly born kitten? The mother doesn't seem all that bothered about her nursing the kitten, just when it's moved from safe space the mother provided

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would, to keep it alive. Try to weigh it daily to see if it is thriving, if not, you may have to supplement. Would mama nurse the remaining kitten if you sit with her for a while? first-time mothers are notorious for not knowing what to do. she may develop a maternal role, but she also may not. The main thing is to keep the kitten alive right now. I would supplement and make sure it is gaining at least 10 grams a day at least to stay alive.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let the baby nurse from the mom then spend the rest of the time with the aunties. It might help to contain them in one room with a large box.or nest for them to share. Monitor the baby's mother for health issues - if nursing is causing pain, she will be more reluctant or, as Di and Bob suggests, she is confused - it happens with young moms of all species. The baby kitten is blessed to have you guarding it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pine cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would, to keep it alive. Try to weigh it daily to see if it is thriving, if not, you may have to supplement. Would mama nurse the remaining kitten if you sit with her for a while? first-time mothers are notorious for not knowing what to do. she may develop a maternal role, but she also may not. The main thing is to keep the kitten alive right now. I would supplement and make sure it is gaining at least 10 grams a day at least to stay alive.
Yes she's nursing the kitten when we are sat with her, they have actually all just sat in the nest together, mother has taken over from nursing and they are all cuddled up together. I just didn't know if it was a good idea to let another cat nurse the newborn, especially as said cat is going to go into labour any time now.

Pine cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would let the baby nurse from the mom then spend the rest of the time with the aunties. It might help to contain them in one room with a large box.or nest for them to share. Monitor the baby's mother for health issues - if nursing is causing pain, she will be more reluctant or, as Di and Bob suggests, she is confused - it happens with young moms of all species. The baby kitten is blessed to have you guarding it!
Thank you

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nursing can increase oxytocin and help with a good, strong labor. I would give both mama kitty and mom-to-be some extra calcium. KMR (not Hartz brand) is a good choice as is a high quality kitten chow. Hypocalcemia can cause weak labor and can also affect nursing mother cats (with only 1 baby, that probably isn't an issue). I love to see cats team together to raise kittens - it's easier on the moms and the kittens seem to thrive more.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think it'll do any harm to let her nurse the kitten. Since she's pregnant and nursing, make sure she's eating a high nutrition diet. The fact that she's close to labor may be helpful, and honestly it's always better to have a mother cat deal with the kittens. Also, my females shared kitten care as well and the kittens thrived because of it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ve received good advice!

Please do not let any of your 3 female cats outside until they are spayed about 6-8 weeks after giving birth. Go ahead and get the appointments set for 2 months from now as clinics easily get booked up.

Do you have potential homes for these kittens?

Pine cats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes we are keeping 1 from each cat and we have homes for the rest. They won't be leaving the house anytime soon that's for sure