Unsure of my cat's breed

VaninaL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I'm not quite sure of my cat's breed since his mom was a stray cat that we adopted when she was pregnant of him. Any help would be great as I am quite curious of what breed he is since he looks totally different than his mom.
CB0B18DE-7147-4034-85F7-F019960ED7ED.jpeg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a very handsome fellow :) What colors are his mom and siblings?

I would also describe him as a lynx point (tabby point) domestic shorthair. The colorpoint gene (responsible for pointed coloring) is recessive and is widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, so pointed cats can pop up by surprise in litters with parents of almost any color. Lynx point is a color description, not a breed, and it doesn't indicate specific breed ancestry.

Most cats aren't any specific breed, and it's also not quite correct to call them "mixed breed"... most cats are simply domestic cats, and don't have breed ancestry at all. That doesn't make them any less beautiful or special, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VaninaL

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a very handsome fellow :) What colors are his mom and siblings?

I would also describe him as a lynx point (tabby point) domestic shorthair. The colorpoint gene (responsible for pointed coloring) is recessive and is widespread in the domestic cat gene pool, so pointed cats can pop up by surprise in litters with parents of almost any color. Lynx point is a color description, not a breed, and it doesn't indicate specific breed ancestry.

Most cats aren't any specific breed, and it's also not quite correct to call them "mixed breed"... most cats are simply domestic cats, and don't have breed ancestry at all. That doesn't make them any less beautiful or special, though!
His mom seems to be a tuxedo domestic hair, his siblings were a mix of grey and white mostly but with different kind of patterns I would say. Thank you for all of these informations! I was quite curious since I never really saw any cats like him before.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His mom seems to be a tuxedo domestic hair, his siblings were a mix of grey and white mostly but with different kind of patterns I would say. Thank you for all of these informations! I was quite curious since I never really saw any cats like him before.
he is a nice coloring with this whitish.
You can look up the snow bengal, whom are too lynx point bengals , whitish them too. But they are usually spotted, so Im not saying he is a crypto-bengal, :) Im telling this just for a comparison of the coloring, because you tell you never saw any cats alike him.

As momma and siblings arent points, we may presume both momma and daddy arent no points, but both do carry the recessive point gene.

Such combo will give typically 1 kitten of four pointed, the others non points.

The statistics arent ironclad but a good enough rule of thumb. Also, it happens a pointed cat isnt recognized, for example, if he perhas carry a heavy tabby markings and they eyes perhaps not very blue... This happens, its more than once I got to tell the owner on this forum his cat is a point.