Unsure of cat breed

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had Tilly from being a kitten and she has some unusual markings.
We got her from a pet shop so no official papers
Just wondering if anyone has any insight or ideas as to what she could possibly be?
Thank you

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are indeed lovely and striking markings! I would describe Tilly as a seal lynx point domestic shorthair. She has a classic tabby pattern, which refers to the swirling or bullseye markings on her side. Most cats are not any particular breed, but that doesn't make them any less beautiful or special :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree.
Point is what people call a siamese-mix. That is why the coloring of her head, paws and tail is different from coloring on the body. And she has also blue eyes, no?

Next question is how the pet shop got her. Did you saw other kittens or adult cats there? How did they look?

Its quite common pet shops cooperate with a byb breeder. Ie a low grade breeder.

So a question may be, if she is supposed to be a pet quality of some breed, or if the byb breeder simply specializes on producing pointed moggies... Whom have anyway an intriguing looks.
Or if the pet shops takes his cats from elsewhere. Why, some shops even cooperate with a shelter nearby, and lets them exhibite their adoptable cats.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where S SashaC is located, but here in the US, many areas of the US no longer allow pet shops to sell cats from any type of breeder... if they have cats at all, they normally have adoptable cats from shelters or rescues. I can't even remember the last time I saw cats in a pet shop that weren't from a shelter or rescue...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

I'm from the UK. We have had Tilly for about 9 years. I worked at the pet shop that we got her from at the time (family friend owned).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm from the UK. We have had Tilly for about 9 years. I worked at the pet shop that we got her from at the time (family friend owned).
That's helpful to know! Does this pet shop sell kittens from breeders, or adopt out kittens from rescues?

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree.
Point is what people call a siamese-mix. That is why the coloring of her head, paws and tail is different from coloring on the body. And she has also blue eyes, no?

Next question is how the pet shop got her. Did you saw other kittens or adult cats there? How did they look?

Its quite common pet shops cooperate with a byb breeder. Ie a low grade breeder.

So a question may be, if she is supposed to be a pet quality of some breed, or if the byb breeder simply specializes on producing pointed moggies... Whom have anyway an intriguing looks.
Or if the pet shops takes his cats from elsewhere. Why, some shops even cooperate with a shelter nearby, and lets them exhibite their adoptable cats.
She wasnt sold as a specific breed. People were able to bring any kittens in, mostly were just black and white. (I used to work at the petshop, which was owned by a family friend)

I don't really mind what she is, was just wondering others points of view, as have had some comments about her markings and a few had mentioned Snow Bengals to me before.

SashaC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's helpful to know! Does this pet shop sell kittens from breeders, or adopt out kittens from rescues?
It was just people from the public that brought kittens in for the shop to sell. Which is/was pretty common in the UK.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she wasn't sold as a specific breed, then she probably isn't one. The majority of cats are not any breed. That's not a problem, though... domestic shorthairs are great cats!

I can see why some people would mention snow Bengals, but she doesn't really have that look to her face and body, and her coloring looks to be within normal range for a lynx point domestic shorthair with classic pattern... I'm not seeing any rosetting or really unusual markings. Her coloring is very beautiful and striking, though!