Unsure if my cat is pregnant

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

So I have a 9 year old unspayed bengal. She is an indoor cat.. Unfortunately in a space of a month she managed to get out few times one time it was almost a week until she came home. So recently she's been acting bizarre. More vocal (not heat meows) more cuddly, very sleepy, I think she's eating more. She is a very small cat. Her nipples are alot bigger and I can find them more easier. Some nipples are pinker than others. Her stomach feels tight and slightly bulged, she won't let me touch it for too long until she has to move. She is grooming herself alot lately. I only managed to take a picture of the only nipple I could get to before she moved again, there are ones alot more pinker.
IMG_20210915_225340_edit_1431203591682135.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Probably she is. Or else time for a vet visit and check up.

Had she had litters before?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
No she's never had a litter before.

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Probably she is. Or else time for a vet visit and check up.

Had she had litters before?
No she has never had a litter before

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! My guess is that she is pregnant, but nine years old is WAY too old for her to be having a first litter, so let’s hope all goes well. Cats should not breed past 5 or 6 years old at the most. Do plan to get her spayed after this litter weans at 8 weeks.

I recommend that you have an x-ray done at a vet office to confirm the pregnancy and to see how many kittens she is carrying and to get an estimated gestational age of the kittens.

Can you do this soon? When was she last outside to mate?

In the meantime, feed her well and read our articles about cat pregnancy and kittens at the top of the forum so that you are prepared for everything to do with cat pregnancy, labor, delivery, and kittens.

Keep us posted! Kemkat Kemkat

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my! My guess is that she is pregnant, but nine years old is WAY too old for her to be having a first litter, so let’s hope all goes well. Cats should not breed past 5 or 6 years old at the most. Do plan to get her spayed after this litter weans at 8 weeks.

I recommend that you have an x-ray done at a vet office to confirm the pregnancy and to see how many kittens she is carrying and to get an estimated gestational age of the kittens.

Can you do this soon? When was she last outside to mate?

In the meantime, feed her well and read our articles about cat pregnancy and kittens at the top of the forum so that you are prepared for everything to do with cat pregnancy, labor, delivery, and kittens.

Keep us posted! Kemkat Kemkat
Thank you for your comment,
I know she's old for a litter. I previously planned on breeding her as she's a bengal but could not find a local stud. I read when she was young not to spay until they've had a litter as this can cause problems in the future so I never got her done. But obviously if she is pregnant I'll definitely get her spayed after. I'd say it was approx 2 weeks ago the last time she was out but she went out 2 times before that week after week twice. I have dealt with pregnant cats previously but obviously I'm going to be well prepared as she is an older cat and complications can occur.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's always better to spay before sexual maturity to prevent pregnancy and the stress of going into heat. As far as I know, having a litter first offers zero benefits and just increases the risks of pyometra, uterine/ovarian cancer, hemorrhage, and a host of other issues.

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I went to get an ultra sound booked to find out if she was pregnant the night before myself and my partner felt movement in her abdomen was very odd sensation. So I did cancel ultra sound then as I also found out I will cost 250.00 just for the ultra sound. Since then her nipples have gone much pinker. Not swollen with milk yet. She is still grooming alot. Looking for places to nest. Eating has increased I changed her food to kitten food few weeks ago. She's very chatty and purring more than normal. I'm just playing the waiting game now. She's still not massive I'm guessing it's going to be a litter of one or two. Her stomach is rock hard. In the last week it seems her stomach has dropped but not sure could just be wishful thinking. She's happy and relaxed currently. I hope all goes well. I felt the babies move last night. Does anyone know if it's a small litter do you still see movement. As I can't say I've seen movements hard to tell with her marble coat and what's breathing or kittens 😂. Hopefully won't be long. And theodora and babies will be fine 🤞

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Towards the end when the tummy gets hard it can be more difficult to see movement. Also the kittens are bigger and more squished.

Keep us posted!

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Towards the end when the tummy gets hard it can be more difficult to see movement. Also the kittens are bigger and more squished.

Keep us posted!
Ah okay that's good to know I was just thinking there isn't that many kittens. I will do

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

So I've posted about theo previously,

So about over a week ago her nipples have got even bigger since they first pinked up.
Last night she appeared extremely restless up and down off the bed. Howling in the hall way. And walking around. She's also been acting like she's in heat rolling around, lifting her bottom up in the air. She has small amount of clear liquid leaking from her vulva only small amount and unsure if it's constant but I've wiped her vulva twice and both times had small amount of clear fluid. Earlier today I was laid with her and she started breathing very fast I thought maybe she's beginning labour but then the door bell rang and disturbed her. I've taken a video moments ago unsure if this is contractions or not as her arm appears to twitch a few times. I'm extremely anxious as this is her first litter and she's extremely old. I definitely plan to get her spayed when kitten/s have been weaned. I'm starting to doubt she's pregnant on and off.

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Theo and what I'm thinking could be contractions?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good if you link to the orginal tread, so we know what is the exact situation.

Has she dropped?

Anyways, clear discharge is common and usually healthy. What you saw may be both prelabor, or the beginning of labor;

Kemkat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do you link them sorry I didn't know you could. I'm confused now she's acting like she's in heat and her tummy is saggy cannot see any kittens around. Is this common. What do you think is happening.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Or at least do phone your vet. The vet will know what follow up question to ask.