Unsettling New Behavior

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

Reggie recently started acting weird. It seems to happen once ir twice every few days. He seems agitated and in discomfort. He will seemingly try to get my attention or alert me by jumping up on a desk or table or making a little cry. He will obsessively lick his front paws. I don't know what to do. He is mostly fine and normal outside this thing. He had chicken friskies wet a few weeks ago which he's had before without incident. But I rarely buy chicken flavor friskies. Any thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Time to go visit his vet!
He's telling you that something hurts or is "wrong."
PLEASE, listen to him.
Yes, I know something is wrong. He's got a vet appointment coming up. What I'm looking for is ideas of what it might be.

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh good! (You didn't mention his vet appt in your op . . . ;) )

It could be so many different things, I don't think it's possible for us to try to pin it down.

And, really, I don't think it's helpful to say "When my cat was acting weird, he ended up being diagnosed with <insert scary thing here.>"

I'm really sorry if I came off as snarky! Your situation kinda hit home for me.

Best Wishes!
:geekcat:

Yes, I know something is wrong. He's got a vet appointment coming up. What I'm looking for is ideas of what it might be.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is really hard to tell for sure what might be going on. Does he go outside? Do you treat him for fleas? How old is he? The intermittency of it suggests that something is going on, or he is getting into something, right before these incidents occur. Depending on the nature of the paw licking, this could be a mouth/dental related issue, or even some arthritis setting in if he is a bit older and he is somehow aggravating his joints in his front paws. What besides the paw licking is making you think he seems agitated or in discomfort?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Does this ever escalate into more extreme behavior or increased agitation? If it does, I am going to guess hyperesthesia, but if it is exactly as you describe I agree that investigating mouth/dental, or a painful paw condition is the first step.

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is about 5. Goes outside in the yard during the day. Hunts mice and snakes. I treat him with flea and tick stuff. Recently changed it to Hartz. Coyld it be a reaction to Hartz?

I also saw him possibly be bitten or stung by something in the house right around the time this started.

He has bad breath.

His agitation and paw licking seems to happen at night.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Bad breath could indicate dental issues, and that could be the problem, but I do know that there has been issues with Hartz Flea and Tick medication (I'm guessing that's what you mean) in the past, mainly with dogs.
Once again, we're all just guessing here, since you've asked for opinions. I do hope the vet has the answer for you.

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. He also shakes his head from side to side really fast. Frustrating. But he's rolling around playing with his brother again today. Eats normally. Cuddles normally. Hope the vet has the answer without soaking me.