Unsafe Cat Tree

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
D0FF146A-D1EC-4168-B758-B0BBB78BBBD4.jpeg
So my sister bought my cat a cat tower and it is nice. But it has never been sturdy. Recently when my cat jumps on it it falls!! Thank god always on my bed but I don’t want my kitty getting squished.

Does anyone know of a way to safety the tree? Like is there a product I can buy to stop cat tree from falling? (I will post picture of it) Any thoughts on how to make it stable?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How handy are you? Do you have any power tools?

It looks to me like one of those trees where the upright scratching poles are made of thick cardboard tubes covered in sisal. It looks nice, but eventually the poles break.

What I would do is take the whole thing apart and replace the vertical posts with fence posts. If you use untreated wood it's safe for the cat to scratch. It will last a lot longer and you can make the tree more stable by adding extra weight to the base.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures that show the whole tree, but this is when I first bought it.
CatTree1.jpg

These are the wooden fence post replacements.
NewKittens49.jpg

I wish I had a picture of it looking a bit smarter. :paperbag: It's been used by almost 30 cats in the past 5 - 6 years and it's still pretty stable.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It needs a heavier, bigger base. You could buy a plywood panel, like 3x4 or whatever you need, a local lumber yard will cut it for you for a small fee. Or get two 2x6 or 2x8 lumber and cut them to extend past the base that is on there now on both outer edges. That would stabalize it. Your tree looks longer than it is wide, so two boards running at right angles to the longer side should work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How handy are you? Do you have any power tools?

It looks to me like one of those trees where the upright scratching poles are made of thick cardboard tubes covered in sisal. It looks nice, but eventually the poles break.

What I would do is take the whole thing apart and replace the vertical posts with fence posts. If you use untreated wood it's safe for the cat to scratch. It will last a lot longer and you can make the tree more stable by adding extra weight to the base.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures that show the whole tree, but this is when I first bought it.
View attachment 291505
These are the wooden fence post replacements.
View attachment 291506

I wish I had a picture of it looking a bit smarter. :paperbag: It's been used by almost 30 cats in the past 5 - 6 years and it's still pretty stable.
No your wood version looks great. I am not handy at all. I couldn’t even put IKEA furniture together. :(
Looks difficult

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It needs a heavier, bigger base. You could buy a plywood panel, like 3x4 or whatever you need, a local lumber yard will cut it for you for a small fee. Or get two 2x6 or 2x8 lumber and cut them to extend past the base that is on there now on both outer edges. That would stabalize it. Your tree looks longer than it is wide, so two boards running at right angles to the longer side should work.
I feel dumb but how do you make it longer with eood like hammer and nails? Alot of packing tape?

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DBF71202-147B-4AA8-9C7D-FAD87842C2C2.png
Maybe I can use this to keep it from falling. Like tape from left to right so to stops poles from falling over? So clip one on left side of cat tree then the cord part rubs infront of tree over poles then secure right side to wall. So unlike picture I use it like barrier ?

I hopr I am explaining correctly

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a super tall cat tree that can be a little wobbly - it’s a nice quality by Armarkat but it’s so tall that a cat zooming up it makes it wobbles. I have a large cardboard box of magazines that I put on the bottom to weight it down. Eventually the plan is to get some weights at a fitness store to have a more permanent solution.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
View attachment 291550 Maybe I can use this to keep it from falling. Like tape from left to right so to stops poles from falling over? So clip one on left side of cat tree then the cord part rubs infront of tree over poles then secure right side to wall. So unlike picture I use it like barrier ?

I hopr I am explaining correctly
The problem is that even if you anchor it so it won't fall forward the supports themselves could buckle. Which means it would just fall down instead of sideways. You should be able to remove the existing posts and take them to a local home improvement store, tell them you need untreated wood of similar diameter and the same length. Ask them what you need to attach it to the existing platforms (take a photo) and they should be able to help you

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Strap it to the wall. A piece of plastic plumbers strapping (pipe hanger) plus a wall anchor and a screw is all it will take to keep it from tipping.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Often you can find free patio stones. They come in 2 sizes, 2 feet square or 2 feet by 30 inches. One would likely be heavy enough to hold the tree. You could put a cover or pillow case on it to make it more attractive.

I got all of these patio stones, including the steps for free from local homeowners.

Ps. Thats not an oversized raccoon.....its either greg or arnold, cant tell for sure.

20190202_162348.jpg

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Strap it to the wall. A piece of plastic plumbers strapping (pipe hanger) plus a wall anchor and a screw is all it will take to keep it from tipping.

It might be best to attach the strapping or pipe support to the wall studs to be super secure:think: Any hardware store will be able to help.

Is this a rental apartment or do you own the home? If it's a rental, you should ask the landlord for permission before you start drilling and attaching things to the wall.

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great if you can find a stud that is located in the right place but the auger style drywall anchors aren't likely to pull out of the wall from the jostling of the cat tree when the cats jump on it or plays on it. And it's a simple enough task to spackle the hole it will leave if it ever has to be removed. The tree we recently bought actually included a strap, screw and wall anchor. It's not a tall tree and it's very stable so I didn't need to use the strap.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Theo's tree is 3 tiers with a large heavy base. I have had it for 17 years now and have re-wrapped the piers with sisal rope. It is about 5 ft tall. He attacks it so violently sometimes he bounces the top (and sometimes his head) on the window glass. I am constantly pulling it back away from the window. It is covered with carpet so no harm done. Theo can be clumsy when he gets wild.

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All cat trees I have purchased have come with parts to secure it to the wall. I’m sure you can find that on Amazon and secure it. I just takes a hammer and nail, and some wire.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy a stud finder at the hardware store for a not bad price. Get them to show you how the one you buy works. I mean take it
out of the wrapping and make it find a stud. Seriously.

auntarctica

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the base comes off, and the bottom tubes are hollow, put rebar up inside them. Just the lower ones, it will make it heavier on the bottom. Then follow the suggestions above of attaching to wall stud. A cup hook and rope would even work. Use stud finder to find stud (not talking a man here...ha ha lol). Use sisal rope or something easy for the cat to see.