Unprovoked Aggression

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my Cat had her kitten 4 weeks ago. And her behaviour has just suddenly changed.
She leaves kitten now for amounts of time and has no issues with me haolding kitten etc. (Not sure of any of this is relevant but thought I’d add it in)

Anyway.
Friday evening I was changing her litter tray and out of nowhere she cane up behind me and bit the back of my leg. I had to physically remove her from me.

Her behaviour since then has been fine. Affectionate etc.
Then this afternoon I could hear my two year old screaming. I went into the room where the cat had him cornered and she was hissing at him. (He’s never nasty to the cat)
She then saw me at the doorway and full on went for me. Hissing, screaming, spitting.
I had to push her away with one of my child’s toys and she started again. I managed to get my son and me out (absolutely covered in scratches and small bites)
She then managed to escape and was on an ‘aggressive rampage’
I locked my son in the kitchen and opened the front door and she ran out.
(Her appointment is in two weeks for her to be spayed) I’m terrified of having her in the house. Terrified she will attack my toddler or baby and myself again.
I don’t know where this aggression has come from and I don’t know what to do.
She’s currently outside the front door and I’m reluctant to let her in until my partners home in a few hours as I’m so worried what might happen.
Does anyone have any advice please.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her spayed ASAP. Should take care of it if it is some hormonal thing. Let vet know what is going on so can check for other issues prior to spaying, such as an infection related to the birth, which could easily also cause this kind of behavior change. I know you said two weeks till spay procedure, but maybe the vet will move that up if you describe the circumstances. If not (I'm not sure how long you have to wait after birth) then maybe the vet will want to do an exam immediately to check for complications from the birth such as infection. So get on the phone with the vets office, describe the circumstances. In the meantime, keep mom in a separate room.

Its a good thing there is a likely medical answer, since there really isn't time to fuss with behavioral modification when a cat is trying to hurt a toddler imho.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I must agree with A ArtNJ . This does seem to have some medical/hormonal component to it. Get her in as soon as possible. Call the vet and explain what has happened, and ask them to see you immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eatingfurballs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou both.
I’ll do that first thing in the morning.
She’s currently shut in another room with her kitten.
I’ve looked through the door and they both seem fine. I’m reluctant to go in because I feel terrified. (Was bitten by a dog a few years ago and this has brought it all back)
I feel like the trust in her is gone now. ☹

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I agree with the others, that you should get her in to see your vet.

I wonder if she's gone into heat? Cats can get pregnant while still nursing.

Also, just curious, is she an only pet? Or are there other animals in your home? Or any that she might hear outside the house?

And, please watch the bites and scratches, particularly any that broke the skin, as they can become infected. Here's a couple articles with more info:

Cat Bites - What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
Ouch! More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Cat Bites

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't forget to let us know what the vet says. This may be something very correctable, and knowing what it is and fixing that will allow the two of your to start rebuilding that trust. Understanding is the key to that.