Unplanned Sick Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! How are things going?
Putting weight on the intersex kitten is like pushing water uphill not helped by a incident a few weeks ago. I returned home from work to find piles of puke everywhere the kitten had opened the cupboard door and eaten all his/her chicken yogurt treats plastic sachets as well. I had to take him/ her to a emergency vet because of the plastic and she/he is too skinny to survive a prolonged period of sickness.
S/he is ok now apart from the usual loose stool and skinny
ginger2day.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness! But, to tell you the truth, s/he doesn't look too too bad...hang in there!! I'm sending eat, behave, and eat some more when you're supposed to thoughts!

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes!! it seems like one crisis after another at times *sigh* .... yes, little one does look well considering the emergency!
It looks revolting but s/he does like chicken yogurt perhaps a little too much. I've struggled with the health of the ginger kitten since birth it would really upset me if something bad happened now. The other kittens were also ill at birth but now healthy and a good weight
Photo Black tabby who had a hernia and a lump but now healthy and not skinny
black tabby.jpg

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
R richo1 The tabby is looking fabulous!! I can appreciate how you feel. I have some semi-ferals who were very, very sickly and one in particular has been challenged by the colder temperatures each winter; happily, each winter season he is getting progressively stronger.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things going?
The intersex kitten has started sucking blankets I thought s/he may be going stir crazy because living in a flat I don't have access to outside.
I have started taking the intersex kitten out on a leash in the hope of stopping the blanket sucking and stimulate a better appetite.
Whether she/ he enjoys walking on the lease is open to debate, on quite a few occasions I have returned home with the ginger kitten on my shoulders after something spooked it.
The kitten has also a 10mm difference in his/her femur which causes him/her to wobble along, s/he tends not to use the shorter leg for example s/he will always swipe the feathered toy with the longer leg so perhaps there's pain in the stubby leg.

Ive also taken on board a suggestion here and s/he is now on a prescription diet for skinny cats

Photo blanket sucking today
blanket.jpg

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
will always swipe the feathered toy with the longer leg
I dunno, I've always thought Poppycat was a lefty because he uses that leg most often when he's batting at a toy. Or, your little sweetie is smart and knows s/he has a longer reach lol

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dunno, I've always thought Poppycat was a lefty because he uses that leg most often when he's batting at a toy. Or, your little sweetie is smart and knows s/he has a longer reach lol
Maybe, the ginger kitten is quite smart just strange physically, I don't think i can handle the stress of getting him/her neutered

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don’t worry about the blanket sucking. I had a cat that did that her entire life. It’s a harmless comfort to her.
Ok thanks I've been taking it for walks and changing the fabric conditioner because i thought it was getting high on it

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you going to name your furry crew?
I've named or renamed the three Ben, Nibbler and Ginger I don't think Ginger will last 20 years like one of my mothers cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was thinking about you taking Ginger for walks. I personally think that's a really good idea even if babycat gets scared now and then. The physical as well as mental exercise is super beneficial :)

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
By the way, good thinking on your part!
How are things going?
I still take ginger for walks because s/he is in a room of its own all day because the other cats would eat its expensive special prescription kitten food.
I have to wear long thick clothing so I don't get scratched up should ginger wish to retreat to the shoulders. Its not normal for cats to be on a leash around here so you get some pretty weird looks
gingerfeb18.jpg