Unplanned Sick Kittens

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a male well sort of i had him fixed at the same time, the lump which can be clearly seen above the yellow band in the blanket is harder to see when he stands.
He's definitely still a male, even if he has been neutered.

Thank you for caring for these cats! Do check with your vet about the lump. It could be another hernia, or it could be internal swelling around stitches or the surgery site as he heals. Best to speak with the vet. My cat has a bump of scar tissue at the bottom of her spay scar that gave me quite a fright until the vet weighed in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet says its inflammation or a reaction caused by the sutures I have to take him each week to see how its going there will be a rethink after six weeks if there isn't any improvement.
To add to the problems i notice the partially sighted ginger kittens tail has a lump or kink on the very end of its tail you cant see it but you can feel it. I will give it a week to see if it gets better before taking it to the vet

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kink in the tail doesn't seem to bother him I will let the vet take a look when I take him for vaccinations in a week or so, hopefully I will get it looked at for free then

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! How are things?
I'm afraid the lump is still there, it's been so long now the vet is going to perform a exploratory operation next week depending on the results I may seek a second opinion.
skinny2.jpg
if that's not bad enough I am worried about how skinny the ginger kitten is I wish I could find something to fatten him up (see pic food is available 24/7)

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He looks OK to me. Some kitties are just slimmer than others. But he doesn't look underweight.
OK thanks , I don't have much hands on experience with kittens he just just feels like a furry bag of potatoes while the other kittens are more padded.
skinny1.jpg
BTW the vet said he was either born with his kinky tail or it has got caught somewhere either way it's not a problem.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He will probably put more weight on once he stops growing. In the meantime, feed him as much wet food as as he wants multiple times a day, and leave dry food and water available 24/7. :)

R richo1

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are things?
The black tabby has had a successful operation to remove the lump caused by the earlier hernia operation the lump has been sent off for testing, I am awaiting the results. I also took the skinny ginger kitten to the vet for a checkup and he informed me that he/she has both male and female bits and he wouldn't be neutering this kitten

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also took the skinny ginger kitten to the vet for a checkup and he informed me that he/she has both male and female bits and he wouldn't be neutering this kitten
Good gracious! But, I'm confused -- I think ?--, what if it is able to breed later on? Or does the vet believe that complete development won't occur as this kitten matures?

the lump has been sent off for testing, I am awaiting the results.
I'm sending every good thought that it is nothing :vibes::crossfingers:

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good gracious! But, I'm confused -- I think ?--, what if it is able to breed later on? Or does the vet believe that complete development won't occur as this kitten matures?
, I don't know if the bits will work I sort of took it at the time the kitten was broken and nothing would work, , after any surgery the vet doesn't charge for follow up consultations so the black tabby would have cost him a fortune, so maybe he doesn't want to take anymore risks with me

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something will have to be done (spay/neuter) with the orange kitten. Even if they don't have operative organs and can't get pregnant or cause a pregnancy, they may still spray because of hormones or show other sexual behaviors, and you don't want to live with that.

Ask your vet for a referral to someone who has experience with that kind of thing. You could at least get a consult so they can tell you whether the kitten is able to reproduce or is likely to show hormonal behaviors.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The lump turned out to be benign and the wound continues to heal nicely so believe it or not I now have one healthy kitten out of nine born. Just got to sort out the ginger kitten with hermaphroditism and a female kitten with a under size nasal passage. Photo the healthy black tabby after sniffing catnip
catnip10.jpg