Unplanned Sick Kittens

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
medium to heavy weight jeans and jean jacket maybe what you're looking for. They are more comfortable that other heavy clothes as the weather gets warmer.

I've lived with a few of the prickly climb you at a moment's notice sort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
medium to heavy weight jeans and jean jacket maybe what you're looking for. They are more comfortable that other heavy clothes as the weather gets warmer.

I've lived with a few of the prickly climb you at a moment's notice sort.
I need a escape proof harness as well, to be honest I don't think cat harnesses are very safe. S/he had a major panic under a bush and shot off leaving me standing there with the harness and leash. After about 30 minutes of fruitless calling the person from downstairs pulled up in his car and said he had let my cat into the stair well, When I got back there was ginger with enormous eyes.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smart Ginger - retreated to home territory rather than ran off!! I like the soft mesh harnesses best because harnesses need to be tighter than many people feel comfortable with (same as with dog collars). Also, getting the cat used to wearing the harness while inside the house helps keep kitty confident while wearing it outside. If you can, have a vet tech, groomer or even an experienced horse trainer help you adjust the harness - not too tight to suffocate but definitely snug enough to be escape proof. It can help to include the indoor harness sessions with training sessions that have favorite rewards (special tasty treats, praise & cheering, "comfort" grooming with a plastic men's comb - whatever his "currency" is). I start with giving treats while "in harness" and then graduate to up on the training perch, ( a stool, small table, ottoman, etc) then I add tricks such as "give paw/handshake", "tailwhips [a favorite among my cats - even my semi-ferals have learned that one via observation] or "circles".
Please let us know how harness training is going - it is a valuable skill that enriches kitties' lives while keeping them safe. And it helps impress non-cat people with the wonders of the cat world.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
catsknowme catsknowme - thank you for offering such knowledgeable, well-informed, obviously experienced-based recommendations....precisely the kin of 'help' that folks here need !

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i took one of ours out on a harness twice. The first time she tried to get into a fight with a Scottie, but he knew enough to run. the second time a car scared her and she drug me through a holly bush. She almost pulled the harness off. I never took another out after that. It's just too dangerous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smart Ginger - retreated to home territory rather than ran off!! I like the soft mesh harnesses best because harnesses need to be tighter than many people feel comfortable with (same as with dog collars). Also, getting the cat used to wearing the harness while inside the house helps keep kitty confident while wearing it outside. If you can, have a vet tech, groomer or even an experienced horse trainer help you adjust the harness - not too tight to suffocate but definitely snug enough to be escape proof. It can help to include the indoor harness sessions with training sessions that have favorite rewards (special tasty treats, praise & cheering, "comfort" grooming with a plastic men's comb - whatever his "currency" is). I start with giving treats while "in harness" and then graduate to up on the training perch, ( a stool, small table, ottoman, etc) then I add tricks such as "give paw/handshake", "tailwhips [a favorite among my cats - even my semi-ferals have learned that one via observation] or "circles".
Please let us know how harness training is going - it is a valuable skill that enriches kitties' lives while keeping them safe. And it helps impress non-cat people with the wonders of the cat world.
That's very informative thanks. My flat was once a floor in a Victorian house which means a small piece of garden is allotted to each resident, I'm now letting ginger explore my piece of overgrow garden on his leash, its a lot safer