Unplanned Sick Kittens

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but you have those three. With kittens as with babies of any type you can only fight the good fight and pray a lot. All your little ones know you loved them and did the best you could for them. They will be with you always watching over you and all those you love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but you have those three. With kittens as with babies of any type you can only fight the good fight and pray a lot. All your little ones know you loved them and did the best you could for them. They will be with you always watching over you and all those you love.
Thanks it was all a bit upsetting I,m hoping to keep the blind one but he is still only 300g while the others are ,400g plus

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Prayers for the kits. How's mom?
she losing some hair and still limps a bit but the vet cannot find a problem, overall she seems more comfortable with less kittens

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She was pretty run down when you saved her. Keep feeding her kitten food. I'd give her some extra egg yoke to help build her up. She's done an awful lot and been through a great deal. You are her best hope. I'm so glad she found you.

have you named her or the kittens?

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was pretty run down when you saved her. Keep feeding her kitten food. I'd give her some extra egg yoke to help build her up. She's done an awful lot and been through a great deal. You are her best hope. I'm so glad she found you.

have you named her or the kittens?
I call her Coco she's been exploring the garden today while the builders are away, strangely she was flirting with a Tom cat despite having kittens that are only three weeks old

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible for Coco to get pregnant again while nursing her kittens, even with them only three weeks. You might consider keeping her inside away from toms until you can get her spayed.

I know it seems unbelievable but it's a species survival trait.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I thought she was safe from getting pregnant for a couple of months at least. She has to go back with her kittens in the little room under the stairs anyway because the builders are back next week. Under the stairs is the quietest area I have while the building work continues (i leave a dim light on )

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on the losses - tiny babies are so incredibly fragile - with calves, with lambs, with humans.
I agree with K Kflowers that egg yolk added to Coco's formula could give her weakened system a good boost of protein and minerals. I have rescued emaciated, elderly strays using goat milk "kitten glop" and intestinal support protocols as aftercare to i.v.s from the vet.
As for the tiniest being blind, I have not found blindness to be much of a problem for even my ferals outside. Inside, where the environment can be controlled, life will be even easier! Cats rely much more on the scent and hearing senses; their whiskers also detect vibrations.
I hope that Coco can be spayed soon as she can easily get pregnant and the risk of hypocalcemia would be greater.
Thank you for the update! Coco and her family are in the best situation possible, where Love and Tincture of Time are powerful medications :vibes::heartshape::cheerleader::rock: :grouphug2::hearthrob: :redheartpump: :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
R richo1 As you're in the UK, where vets commonly do a flank spay, you could get her spayed now before she gets pregnant again. Having her spayed won't affect her ability to nurse her kittens.

Just something to think about if there are tom cats around.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just keep thinking about how lucky you and Coco were to find each other. I know you have been a great comfort to her during her time of mingled joy and grief.

Follow Norachan Norachan 's advice. the sooner she's spayed the sooner she can focus on her kittens without the distractions of hormones. She has enough to do. And you really don't want tom cats hanging on your screens, sneaking in, pushing glass out of the windows and fighting in your garden (it will keep everyone awake for an entire block. Those boys take sex seriously.

pets for Coco and the babies.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a while and things are still difficult ,as I I've said I have taken on the stray mother cat and hopefully the sickest kitten, but unfortunately all the kittens have various health issues like the little ginger one who cannot see well has black eyes someone called him a devil cat and the kitten where the mother chomped a hole in his belly has developed a hernia. Do kittens live a normal life after the hernia is fixed ? Would I be able to re-home him?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the kitten can have a totally normal life after the hernia is fixed.
The one whose eyes are black, what does the vet say? Can he see shadows? Blind cats, who are house cats do very well.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet thinks he can see a little and hopes his eyes will improve a little with age. At the moment I think he would be the most problematic to re-home so I think he's mine

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you keep Coco, he should be completely fine with his limited vision. Okay, even without her, but I think you'd worry less if you keep her with him.

good energy and prayers for you little group.

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing ever goes to plan, two weeks after kitten threes operation for his hernia another smaller lump has appeared . do hernias often keep reoccurring? (see lump in pic)
The ginger kitten obviously cannot see very well because when it runs around it bangs into things and the kitten i thought was healthy has small nose holes so she breaths noisily when she exerts herself.
lump.jpg

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a male well sort of i had him fixed at the same time, the lump which can be clearly seen above the yellow band in the blanket is harder to see when he stands.