Unplanned Rescue - Need Advice Please

Dawn23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For two years I've been taking care of two little black female sister cats who have never lived inside. They came from an animal hoarder in my neighborhood and started hanging out on my porch. Last winter when I realized they were sleeping there, I got them an igloo shelter and they stayed in it when the weather was cold. I couldn't bring them in because I have a small house and 3 cats of my own. We had a fairly mild winter.

Since new year's, though, it's been very cold here in the south. The temps got down to around 10 a couple of nights. I put extra straw in the igloo and covered it with blankets and they did fine sleeping there together.

Unfortunately, a pack of dogs got on the porch and startled them out of the shelter early Sunday. They killed one. It just broke my heart to find her. The other one didn't come home until that night and was very anxious. And now she won't get in the shelter.

Sunday night was mild but last night it started snowing and the temps dropped rapidly. I kept watching out the window and she just sat in front of the door. Around midnight I couldn't take it anymore. I moved some stuff out of my spare room, put some food and water and a litter box in there and brought her in. She yowled and paced at first and I sat with her awhile and she calmed down.

This morning when I checked on her she started yowling again and hid behind a bookcase. It looks like she drank some water and maybe ate a little but did not use the litter box. Of course, she has never seen such a thing. But I didn't see that she had peed or defecated anywhere.

I can't let her back out because it is 13 here today with a few inches of snow. The temps tonight will be around 7 and tomorrow night around 10. I'm afraid if I let her back out she will be freaked out and run off.

I didn't plan to do this and now I'm not sure what to do. Will she be ok in the room for a few days? Is there anything I can do to make this easier for her? I had to come to work so I won't be home until later this afternoon. I hate for her to be so scared but at least I know she is warm.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The poor thing must be totally traumatized from the attack, but she should be fine in the room. You could plug in a Feliway diffuser (though that takes a few days to have an impact). She'll probably take to the litter box, too, but a little (potting) soil and/or leaves on top might ease the transition. Hiding places are very important. A few cardboard boxes, a tunnel, or the cubby of a cat tree would go a long way to making her less fearful.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your actions probably saved her life. She's probably traumatized from the attack and scared by the surrounding changes. Given a few days I think she will settle down and be okay. If she is friendly enough, you might look into finding her a permanent home since she likely will have trouble surviving without her sister. If you do put her back outside she likely will need a different shelter set up as she may continue to be unwilling to use the old one.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will be fine in the room. Bless you for taking her in.

Last year I ended up with two "surprise" cats, both ferals which I intended to TNR. The first one I adopted immediately after her spay. She lived in my guest bathroom for 9 days, then in the bedroom/bathroom for several months while I socialized her and introduced her to the other pets.

The second one was very wild, so I released her to my backyard and let her walk in and out of the house while the weather was nice. This is a very cold winter compared to last year, so she's been sleeping in the guest bathroom with a bed, water, and litter all winter even on the milder nights. She's graduated to "free roam" of the house while I'm home and awake.

I think they're happy to have a "safe" room and don't seem to mind that it may be a smaller space. Just spend as much time with her when you are home. Talk to her, or read, or just sit there. Your presence will bring her comfort, even if it may not seem like it at first.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You totally did the right thing! I'll write more later with some ideas. We've taken in a couple feral families over the years, and just grabbed a female 2 days before the "bomb cyclone" hit New England.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dawn23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your responses. I went home at lunch to check on her and she was out of hiding and much more calm. I found some leaves that were not snow covered and put them in the litter box. When I get home, I’ll stay with her and try to “introduce” her to it. I can pick her up so I’ll try scooping her paw in it.

I tried find a home for both of them but I didn’t want them separated and no one wanted two black cats. I’ll try again now that it’s just Trei. For now I just need to get her through the next few days. It will be in the 40s Friday and I can let her back out. I wish I could keep her inside but I just can’t. Two of my cats are seniors with health issues and I just can’t stress them out at this point.

Trei is spayed and she is very adventurous. She sometimes stays away for a day or two. I think she will be ok back outside. This weather is just freakishly abnormal for Memphis. That, coupled with the death of her sister is just a double whammy. I probably do need to find some other shelter for her. Her sister June was very timid and always stayed in the shelter. I miss seeing her so much.

I am worried about fleas. My cats get Advantage every month but my 13 year old male is highly allergic to them. And he weighs 26 pounds (the vet is not concerned - he is part Maine Coon) and I'm not completely comfortable that he is fully protected. He got a dose two weeks ago but I'm wondering if I should give him another now as a precaution. Would it hurt him?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd put flea control on Trei while she's inside, since you just treated your indoor kitties 2 weeks ago. Then they should all be covered.

She ought to be able to find the cat litter box without assistance. Unless you have houseplants in the room, it's the closest thing to "dirt" in the room, so she should naturally gravitate to it when she needs to go. Not uncommon for cats to not eat, drink or potty for a day or two when brought indoors for the first time.

I also plan to let my adventurous feral come and go outside. She was born wild and free, so she's the only cat I've ever owned where I feel fine letting her decide inside or outside. The house is getting crowded with my senior cat, the feral kitten I adopted for inside, the dog, and now the little wild thing coming and going. You're doing a good thing. ;)

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey! First off so sorry to hear about your loss of the one cat. I've been there before. Anyways I would leave her in for a few days. She should be fine. As far as housing I have heated outdoor cat houses for my cats so if you can afford it I would recommend getting her one of them. She might be more willing to sleep in a new house. She may never get over her fear of the shelter you have now. She most likely can still smell the dogs on that house. If you can't buy a new shelter remove anything that is inside the old one and replace any bedding with new bedding. I have experience with this and it is hard for them to recover from things like this. Anyways hope everything works out for you.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sad to hear about the loss of Trei's sister. Forgive me for the naive question, but why are there packs of dogs running around that can kill cats? Are they coyotes or stray dogs? That is really scary--they could hurt kids or owned dogs too. Would it be bad for the cats to notify the authorities?

Dawn23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm home from work now and I've fed her and put some Advantage on her. It was easier than it is with my cats! She is actually being very affectionate and wanting me to pet her. I even heard the start of a tiny purr! She's been pretty quiet until she heard me in here typing in the next room and now she is crying at the door. I don't want to go in there just yet so she won't think I'll come every time she cries. And I want to spend some time with my cats. The seniors are ignoring her but the 5 year old is curious and anxious. She knows Trei from the other side of the picture window. They sit there a lot together. So I think she is wondering why she is hearing her meows from inside the house.

I would love to have a heated shelter but I don't have access to electricity outside the house and my front door won't close with an extension cord going out. I've actually considered building a carport (I don't have a garage) with special cabinets built in to put shelters in.

As far as the dogs, I've not known of another incident in this neighborhood in the 15 years I've lived here. But I've known people in the past who have had this happen. I never saw them, only the evidence. I posted a be-on-the-lookout on Nextdoor.com when Trei was missing and a guy from two streets over said the dogs had attacked a cat in his yard the night before and he ran them off and the cat escaped. So apparently they were running wild all over the neighborhood. I just hope no one else's cats ran into them.

Again, thanks to everyone. You have all been so helpful and it helped just to talk about it. I'll keep you posted.

Dawn23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I spent some time with her twice but now I'm not so sure that was a good thing. She is crying a lot now, wanting me to come back in. She's wants me to pet her but she's not sure how that works and will swat at my hand. I didn't pet her a lot when she was outside, mostly just head scratches when she was eating. But she did pee in the litter box the last time I was in there! I'm getting ready to go to bed so I'll go in one more time. I left the lights on last night but tonight I'll just leave a small lamp on so maybe she will go to sleep. I hope so. It's a small house and you can hear her in every room. It sounds so sad. But I know it's for her own good.

Debp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
God bless you for helping Trei! So very sorry about her sister.
It sounds like she is getting attached to you... anyway you can possibly keep her? Or if you can find a friend that would take her, maybe then you can still see her sometimes? Being through such trauma, it's good she has a sense of security inside.

My heart goes out to these homeless kitties, especially those in cold climates. Also, it's horrible that the pack of dogs might still be around...if you see or hear them, I would call animal control about them.

Give Trei a hug from me.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trei is in good hands and I hope that someone steps up to the plate and takes her in for you. It was a horrible tragedy for those two kitties to be attacked like that - a brutal slaying. It seems like the neighborhood would be proactive and do what they can to solve that problem - when dogs pack up, they tend to go after anything small and helpless in their path; they are bored, untrained and obviously ignored by their owners. At least Trei is safe inside - she is probably very lonely but will adjust.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pack dogs, we even have that problem in rural areas. You need to contact a cat rescue group or person for some help finding her a home. If she is that domesticated already and given her trauma she deserves a forever home that is secure. Call your town shelter or local vets as they will know who the rescue groups/people are near you.
Please please report the attack to the ASPCA if you have one or your local animal control. A lot of times several of these kinds of attacks go on and on in neighborhoods and nobody reports them until they attack a child!

Thanks for taking her in. Can’t imagine what she must have gone through but you were there for her! Great work!

Dawn23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been trying all week to find a home for Trei. Nothing yet, but I have one rescue person who still checking with her contacts. I'm going to let her outside this afternoon since it will be in the low 40s. I feel so bad that she is stuck in the room with nothing to do. She has been very quiet and when I go in, she is just sitting in a chair. She half-heartedly plays with a couple toys but loses interest. She has become very affectionate and she even purred last night while I was petting her. She will make someone a good house cat but that just can't be me. I really wish it was and I feel very guilty. I also feel so sad that her sister June never got to be inside because she liked to sit at the picture window and look in and was very curious what was going on. I think her death is really hitting me now. It's been a terrible week with snow cover and temps below freezing which is so abnormal here. Just trying to get to work everyday has been hard. It seems that everything just happened so fast and I'm overwhelmed.

I'm hoping she will not freak out when I take her outside and run off or something. I'm planning to bring her back in tonight as the low will be 35 and I haven't had a chance to work on the shelter. I'm going to try tomorrow to figure out a way to raise it up and then clean it out and put in new straw. Of course, she may still not get in it. She has been sleeping on a small blanket that I'm going to put in there so maybe that will help. The temps for the next few days will be 50s and 60s so I'll let her back out Saturday and she should be ok even without the shelter. Of course, someone may decide to take her. I'm so hoping that will happen.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey Dawn, I put my shelters up on cinder blocks. They're not easy to move though. OR maybe a big box store or warehouse would be willing to give you a pallet or "skid" that would get it a couple inches off the ground at least.
Could you post a pic of Trei?
Best of luck.

Dawn23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her outside and the first thing she did (when she got her bearings) was to get in the shelter and sniff around. I sprayed it down with odor neutralizer a few days ago. I hope that's a good sign. Then she ate and sniffed around the porch. And then ran under the car. That is not unusual, she gets under there a lot and I think might get on the tire to sleep when it's not cold. Many nights I would go outside and June would run out from the shelter and Trei would immediately bound up on the porch. So I knew she wasn't far away and there is nowhere else close by that offered shelter. I went out a little while ago and she came up on the porch. I was petting her and then the dogs next door came out in their back yard and she went back under the car. I think that is probably where she got when the dogs attacked. Here is a picture of Trei in front of the shelter. As you can see, I have a small porch so I'm thinking of getting a large plastic storage box to lift up the shelter.

Dawn23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's a second small shelter next to the igloo. Sometimes one or the other would get in it but it's not very insulated. I may try to put that one on a larger storage box for a higher up perch for warmer weather.