Unneutered Outdour Female Cat Went Missing.

catperson96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We were best friends. All day long we would play together. I had her since she was 1 month old, I had shown her only love and affection and she knew that. Wherever she saw me she would jump on me to get the cuddles, purring loudly. Now she is one and a half years old. Before about 2 weeks, she went missing. Nobody seems to have seen her since then. I live in the countryside and there are many cats and dogs around, as also farms and woods. Is this normal behavior for unneutered female cats? Shall I start worrying for the worst?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catperson96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in a village there are no shelters. Nobody has seem to have seen her, neither dead nor alive. She just disappeared. One of my neighbors said that she had a cat who had gone missing for three months at the past and she found her 2-3 houses away from her house. This gives me some hope. I had some pretty hard times in my life the last years and my little kitty was the only reason I was smiling. Now I feel so alone. Life is so unfair.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Keep looking, especially at night if you can. I'm sending all my thoughts and prayers that she comes home soon!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Make sure you read the information that Furballsmom Furballsmom gave you for tips and ideas, and implement all of them you can.

Also, at dusk/night/dawn, sit outside and shake a bag/can of her favorite treats/food while calling to her. Stay in one place for at least 15-30 minutes before moving on to another location just in case it would take her time to get to you. Do this at least 3 times a night, if at all possible. Night after night after night. Is there a way to secure food for her somewhere on your property that might help prevent the other cats/dogs from getting to it? - some place that she would be most inclined to expect it?

Have you asked the neighbors to check any sheds/barns/buildings on their property to see if she trapped or hiding?

Is it possible she was pregnant and has since had her babies - and has them hidden/secured away somewhere for their protection? If so, and you continue to look for her, and feed her, she may just come 'home' with her little ones in tow!

Last edited:

catperson96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is true that she might be pregnant, because before she left she was too affectionate and also I think I saw her vomiting one time or two. But I knew her well, she wouldn't leave by my side not even for a minute. How is it possible that she disappeared for two weeks?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She may have had her babies in a place that she felt would protect them, and now she goes out to hunt/eat, and then back to her babies to nurse and care for them. If she had them about two weeks ago, they are just beginning to move around a bit.

She may have even moved them a few times, as mama cats typically do when they are outdoors - to hide from/ward off predators. If your area didn't feel secure to her or there were other animals she was concerned about, she would have not kept them near you.

Once they are bit older, she could show up with them in your yard/area. There is no guarantee of that, especially if someone else is feeding her near where she has nested. But, she could even show up back near you after the kittens are weaned and she no longer wants responsibility for them.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check with neighbors to make sure that nobody has taken the cat in. I had a cat one time that I kept outdoors and then came to find out that at least four people in my neighborhood thought he was their kitty.

I agree with FeebsyOwner, go to different locations every night, call and call her and then stop, wait, and listen. After five minutes of listening, start calling again. Be prepared to sit there for at least 30 minutes. I also agree with making sure that she hasn't been trapped in anyone's well, barn, shed, or cubbyhole under their house.

catperson96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes she might were into heat and not pregnant. I can't tell for sure though.

catperson96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
do missing cats stay near buildings? or they can get lost in the woods? because i live in an area where there are many villages and between them there are large areas with woods. shall i search the village, the woods or the other villages too?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of the above. They would likely want shelter, but that can be in dead trees, in thick brush, etc. etc., you name it. Anywhere to get a break from rain, sun, people, predators/animals. They can be burrowed low to the ground or high above. Not trying to make your search more difficult, just letting you know you pretty much can't rule anything out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she was pregnant, instinct would tell her to find a hidden place to have her kittens, so that is very, very possible, even as close as the two of you are. Keep looking. If you have a flashlight, take that with you, since their eyes will shine, and you can spot that in the dark. Dawn and dusk is the best time, as they are most active then. Don't give up hope yet! She may come strolling home in a few weeks with a family trailing along behind!

catperson96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you really believe there is a chance I will see her again? I want to hear the truth, don't give me false hopes please. Are the odds with me or against me?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The odds, honestly, are about even. But cats are resilient, and resourceful. It really is NOT time to give up hope.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you really believe there is a chance I will see her again? I want to hear the truth, don't give me false hopes please. Are the odds with me or against me?[/QUOTE

I honestly don't know, but I do know that it is way too early to give up on searching for her. It sounds like she went into heat and wandered away to look for a male. You say you have had her since she was a month old, so you must be well versed in her habits, where she liked to go, what interest her. Was she exclusively your cat, or did she roam off to other houses for a bite to eat? Is any of your neighbors putting out cat food? Have you gone to every neighbor, knocked on their door and asked about her? These are the efforts, along with the calling and listening for her, that you need to do.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know, but I do know that it is way too early to give up on searching for her. It sounds like she went into heat and wandered away to look for a male. You say you have had her since she was a month old, so you must be well versed in her habits, where she liked to go, what interest her. Was she exclusively your cat, or did she roam off to other houses for a bite to eat? Is any of your neighbors putting out cat food? Have you gone to every neighbor, knocked on their door and asked about her? These are the efforts, along with the calling and listening for her, that you need to do.[/QUOTE]

catperson96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was exclussively MY cat, nobody else fed her. I just searched the whole village and she is nowhere to be found. I found about 20 cats, but none of them is mine. I think I should really stop hoping now. I knew her, she would never ever leave the house. No matter where she was, when I called her she approached me quickly with that purring sound. I really think something bad happened to her. Maybe a cat missing is worse than a cat found dead, because it's this terrible feeling that you don't know what to do or what happened to her. She will always be a part of me. Thank you all for the replies and the help.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
. I really think something bad happened to her. Maybe a cat missing is worse than a cat found dead, because it's this terrible feeling that you don't know what to do or what happened to her. She will always be a part of me. Thank you all for the replies and the help.[/QUOTE]

I agree, if you never know what has happened to her it will be hard to have some kind of closure, which is one of the reasons why I had encouraged you to keep looking for her. I also think that if she had died, you would have seen some signs of that by now. I will also give another suggestion: keep looking closer to home, a female cat, even one that is not fixed, will stay close to home. They are not the wanderers that toms are.

I hope you find her, I am rooting for both of you.

Last edited: