Unnamed tortoiseshell treasure... my preciousss!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
And just so it wouldn't be a bump without a picture, here's some. I chose ones that demonstrate her coat.

_fs IMG_20200115_144756.jpg

IMG_20191227_214958.jpg

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would say maybe medium hair (which is technically a type of long hair, so both parents must have at least carried the long hair gene for that to happen), but it's hard to tell at such a young age, she still has kitten fur which makes them look fuzzy. If the choices are long or short hair would go with a brush for a long hair, you can use a brush for a long hair on a short haired cat, but a short haired brush might be too short for a long haired cat.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Definitely get the brush for long haired cats then.

But SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!

I could see her tail in the new pictures, so my guess is that she's going to have short hair when she grows up. Willow has that same kind of medium-length hair and so did two of my other shorthaired cats when they were kittens.

I was told here that the way you can tell is from the tail: longhaired kittens will have a plumy, fluffy tail and shorthaired kittens will just have a regular tail with the same thick, lush, fluffy kitten fuzz as the rest of the baby's body.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Renne Renne Kind of hard to tell yet. I think she's a short hair. Her paws don't look like even a medium hair cats. There's no tufting there. Kittens are typically overly fuzzy so usually one looks to see if their ears/paws/tail indicate their eventual coat length. There's no photo showing her tail, and well, her ears are so short lol....

I'm going with short hair for now to be on the safe side with the Furminator. You don't want it to pull out to much as a kitten anyway. Maybe start her off with something more gentle like the Zoom Groom?

EDIT: Do not get a brush if she turns out to be long haired. Combs are much better for long hair cats.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She still has her kitten coat, so it's kinda up for grabs at this point...Go with the Zoom Groom, and wait and see! Dear Heavens, that's a cute kitten!

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! To my embarrassment, I had no idea about the existence of kitten coats. I thought that this is how she's going to look forever. :) It'll be interesting to discover what she'll be like in future.

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She’s adorable! My cat has a similar patchy face. When I found her she was all grey except her tortie face, and her tail was very short-haired and small. Now that she’s almost one, she’s a bit more tortie (still not brightly colored, but sort of between dilute tortie and regular) and has a lion’s mane and a squirrel’s tail.

Did you ever make a final name decision?

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww your kitten is so small and cute! :)

I named her Ksyusha, it sounds really nice in my language and has all the cat sounds. She already understands her name and comes when called. Or maybe she just reacts to the intonation of my voice, haha.

We've been to a vet recently, and the vet thinks she's not a tortie but calico? At least he said she looks like she has three colors, not two. But he didn't sound very confident and even asked what I thought.

There was a question (of mine) above if her hair is going to be short or long, and people talked about tufts of hair on paws as a sign of long hair. Strangely, she has developed the tufts since then, so now I wonder. There's a lot of long hair in her ears now, too. And her tail that used to be thin became big and well... really hairy :)

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, a calico has a good deal more white on it than a tortoiseshell does (although in some places the term calico is not used and both are called tortoiseshell.)
1712CA9A-AE06-441D-B080-974AAAA7A7A6.jpeg
. Blossom has one little white patch on her chest, but is almost entirely dark grey and cream. This picture is a bit more recent and shows the white patch.

It is amazing when they learn their names. My wife called Blossom “Angel Heart” so much when she was little that she would sometimes seem to answer to that. She also knows the word “treat” and comes over quickly when we say it.

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats are like cousins! :)

Out of curiosity, are your cat's gums black anywhere rather than pink? For example, on the lower left side of her mouth? Mine has black fur on that side of her mouth, just like yours, and her lower gum is black. I was so surprised to discover it. And on her upper right she has a pink gum that becomes black as it goes, that's so weird. The paws are also different colors, sometimes mixed just like her nose, but paws are paws, it's surprising that gums can be black.

But I never had a cat with black colors anywhere before, so for all I know it's completely normal. :)

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are more pictures!

Ksu has grown since I first posted, she is now almost 5 months old (in a week).

IMG_20200319_211620.jpg IMG_20200319_211533.jpg

Different lighting, I know, my phone is like that... But those huge eyes? That's how she looks most of the time, awake.

I usually can't take a picture when she's fully awake, as she can't sit still for a few moments in a row, she starts moving and my picture is either that of a newly vacated place or a jumble of superimposed images. But these are rare awake pictures.

She's listening intently to my mother making noises in order to draw her attention, and her ears are at their highest perked up position.

IMG_20200302_035847.jpg

For comparison, that's how she looks deep asleep, fully relaxed. Ears still in a staight line, and they hang in a funny way on the sides.

IMG_20200302_035816.jpg

That's her trying to sleep under my lamp (in a fully dark room, lol), and me holding her head to take a picture. I posted this one to show her coat colors in a clear way. Here's good lightning under a lamp here, and you can see how Ksu really looks! She usually comes off paler than this on all her pictures because it's rather dim in the apartment. But that's her in all her glory! :)

IMG_20200320_100741.jpg IMG_20200320_100753.jpg

Eyes not huge, right? She's half-asleep, which is when I usually can finally take a picture. And those little horns on her head? I don't know how they came about, but she always has them now. Maybe it's becaus she's a little imp.

IMG_20200320_100831.jpg

Just a nice picture. :)

Last edited:

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ksu doesn't look like herself in the pictures, so I decided that a video is worth a thousand pictures! :)

She's in a calm state, preparing to sleep, and I am distracting her with noises, poking her and otherwise being cruel and annoying, in order to record her:

It's amusing how she tried to turn her head away from me, haha. Record me with your stupid black rectangle, I'm not looking! She usually looks very cute, but here she's a bit miffed, so no tenderness, and she's looking at me like I'm dumb and don't know what I'm doing. :)

And just for fun that's her on the very evening I brought her home. She's afraid of a new apartment and is still in the corridor, near my boots:

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Medium, then? ;)

I'm no expert, but I would call that medium. I always thought of my Nebelung (rescue) as longhaired, but sometimes they're called medium haired on search tags.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I named her Ksyusha, it sounds really nice in my language and has all the cat sounds.
Sorry I missed your introduction but glad you chose such a lovely name that sounds right for her in your language. She is positively precious and we can't wait to see more pics as she continues to grow. :lovecat3: