Unnamed tortoiseshell treasure... my preciousss!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Renne

a kitten parent
Young Cat
Reaction score
And just so it wouldn't be a bump without a picture, here's some. I chose ones that demonstrate her coat.

_fs IMG_20200115_144756.jpg

IMG_20191227_214958.jpg

amethyst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
I would say maybe medium hair (which is technically a type of long hair, so both parents must have at least carried the long hair gene for that to happen), but it's hard to tell at such a young age, she still has kitten fur which makes them look fuzzy. If the choices are long or short hair would go with a brush for a long hair, you can use a brush for a long hair on a short haired cat, but a short haired brush might be too short for a long haired cat.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Reaction score
Definitely get the brush for long haired cats then.

But SQUEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!

I could see her tail in the new pictures, so my guess is that she's going to have short hair when she grows up. Willow has that same kind of medium-length hair and so did two of my other shorthaired cats when they were kittens.

I was told here that the way you can tell is from the tail: longhaired kittens will have a plumy, fluffy tail and shorthaired kittens will just have a regular tail with the same thick, lush, fluffy kitten fuzz as the rest of the baby's body.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Reaction score
Renne Renne Kind of hard to tell yet. I think she's a short hair. Her paws don't look like even a medium hair cats. There's no tufting there. Kittens are typically overly fuzzy so usually one looks to see if their ears/paws/tail indicate their eventual coat length. There's no photo showing her tail, and well, her ears are so short lol....

I'm going with short hair for now to be on the safe side with the Furminator. You don't want it to pull out to much as a kitten anyway. Maybe start her off with something more gentle like the Zoom Groom?

EDIT: Do not get a brush if she turns out to be long haired. Combs are much better for long hair cats.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Reaction score
She still has her kitten coat, so it's kinda up for grabs at this point...Go with the Zoom Groom, and wait and see! Dear Heavens, that's a cute kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Renne

a kitten parent
Young Cat
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! To my embarrassment, I had no idea about the existence of kitten coats. I thought that this is how she's going to look forever. :) It'll be interesting to discover what she'll be like in future.