Unmanageable Uri...?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Or have I just not found the answer/right prescription medicine? I don't want my cat's life to mostly consist of medicines and vet trips. He's 7 years old. It stresses him out. And so far the antibiotics have made him feel great/normal healthy only until the bottle runs out. Plus those antibiotics have to be given to him orally twice a day which made him turn his claws against me, the only one who gives him his medicine. With each medicine, I feel like he's just getting worst.

He was on Clindamycin & Lysine. It's only been about three days since we finished the former, and is still on at least 500mg of Lysine but his third eyelid is showing. He has his moments of breathing heavy because his nose is so congested. He's been quiet but still eating & I think using the bathroom. He's got an appointment this Saturday since that's the earliest I could go with his new(ish) vet.

I just wish he's better already :bawling2:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry that your cat is having such problems! It sounds as if you are doing just as you should. I see that you have a fairly new vet. Has he changed what was being done before? Sometimes a new set of eyes is necessary! Have polyps been considered? They often present as a URI.

Make sure he is staying well-hydrated, and you might find that letting him sit in a steamy bathroom for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day helps with the congestion. Meanwhile, I'll get a candle lit for him!

000000000000000.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that your cat is having such problems! It sounds as if you are doing just as you should. I see that you have a fairly new vet. Has he changed what was being done before? Sometimes a new set of eyes is necessary! Have polyps been considered? They often present as a URI.

Make sure he is staying well-hydrated, and you might find that letting him sit in a steamy bathroom for 20 minutes 3 or 4 times a day helps with the congestion. Meanwhile, I'll get a candle lit for him!
He's claustrophobic and aquaphobic. I can't exactly turn on the shower because of that -- as soon as I turn on the faucets, he tries to scamper out & scratches my door to get out. And I said new-ish because we saw her once, the first time, and she was the one who suggested to do clindamycin. What's polyps?

How long has he had this issue? What other meds have been tried?
I would say starting September. He was on Clavamox & Lysine. But his symptoms have always returned after giving him the medicine. Though this is the first time his third eyelid has shown so it freaked me out. And when he does talk, it's this quiet & "scratchy"/incomplete meow. :( I'm starting to lose hope... but I'm trying my best even tho I feel like it's not enough.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet can, have them do a culture swab to figure out what bacteria to target. If the vet can't do a culture, ask for azithromycin. Clavamox is fairly narrow-spectrum; azithromycin kills a wider range of bacteria. Plus it only needs to be given once a day ;). If he really hates the meds, ask about having a compounding pharmacy flavor it so he might find it more tolerable.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Polyps are a little growth, kinda like a mushroom, that can happen in humans or animals (I've had them). They are usually not cancerous, but can be quite annoying and health-threatening, depending on where they are growing. But they are also fairly rare. HOWEVER, the third eye-lid showing makes me lean more towards in infection of some sort. I'm going to vote with W Willowy 's advice on this, for right now.

You can, if you think it would help, also get one of those decongestant misters for a reasonable price at any pharmacy, or Walmart or K-Mart (probably cheaper). I know Vics makes one.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the vet can, have them do a culture swab to figure out what bacteria to target. If the vet can't do a culture, ask for azithromycin. Clavamox is fairly narrow-spectrum; azithromycin kills a wider range of bacteria. Plus it only needs to be given once a day ;). If he really hates the meds, ask about having a compounding pharmacy flavor it so he might find it more tolerable.
Yes I did mention Azithro before she gave the Clindamycin but apparently the latter is much better when it comes to gingivitis/inflamed mouth...? What does a compounding pharmacy flavor mean? But yes, I will ask her for Azithro since many people from an old thread suggested it. Unfortunately I can't do a culture swab due to money issues -- it's $120 and I already spent $250 on his blood test almost two weeks ago.

Polyps are a little growth, kinda like a mushroom, that can happen in humans or animals (I've had them). They are usually not cancerous, but can be quite annoying and health-threatening, depending on where they are growing. But they are also fairly rare. HOWEVER, the third eye-lid showing makes me lean more towards in infection of some sort. I'm going to vote with W Willowy 's advice on this, for right now.

You can, if you think it would help, also get one of those decongestant misters for a reasonable price at any pharmacy, or Walmart or K-Mart (probably cheaper). I know Vics makes one.
Ah, I see. Then to answer W Willowy , polyps have not been considered since my vet didn't mention that at all. I'll search for the symptoms of that and see if it fits. I did think about FIP but he is eating normally & I'm not sure if he is lethargic due to antibiotic or not. His weight has been fluctuating since the time that I got him... And I'm afraid he'll hate me for the nasal spray since he's already really touchy & fidgety when I try to touch his face.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep us posted. I'll continue trying to think of something useful, and tracking down articles that might help!

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will! His vet appointment is tomorrow morning, and so far his third eyelid hasn't moved though you can still tell that it's there. Do you know if Clindamycin helps with stinky saliva? He was on it, and his saliva didn't smell but now that he's off it, it's starting to smell again /sigh

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UPDATE!
We've just returned from the vet. I had thought that his symptoms, particularly his breathing, is because of his URI but my vet thinks it could be allergies on top of his URI. She wanted me to do a quick xray (for $250) and I said not possible because it's out of my price range. And I found that a bit excessive seeing as the symptoms he's showing could possibly be related to URI alone. I did inquire about the culture swab ($160) to know the specific bacteria/virus but she said that she wouldn't recommend it because we would still be doing what we are doing now. I did inquire about Azithromycin but she said that causes a negative reaction to cats his age & prefers to not keep giving him antibiotics. For now, I was sent home with vitamin B (3 times a day for the next two weeks orally on top of the Lysine 500mg once a day). And because he has one small acne/sore near his bottom lip, I'll be buying 100% aloe (applying it 3 times a day) and a humidifier (to be placed near his bed/tent).

If the vitamin & humidifier don't work, then she highly suggests the x-ray to see if anything is wrong with his lungs. If there is something, then a food/environment allergy test ($500+) antihistamine. If there isn't, then the culture swab but it would be like being back to square one. Not to mention, without the Clindamycin, his gums are inflamed again so a dental cleaning is a required. It's the unknown that is frustrating me. I want him to be better already but at the same time, I can't keep spending so much money without knowing the specific cause. But we are both in agreement that the 3rd eyelid showing on both his eyes means that something is wrong & he's not feeling well at all.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Woah. That was fast. Thank you so much. I have read one of those articles. And I will be applying for Care Credit soon... but I feel like I should only use that for extreme emergency. I feel like, even though he isn't feeling well, it's not a dire need. I can't apply for a Pet Insurance now since he has a pre-existing condition. But I will look at the national organizations though I think I won't get accepted because he technically doesn't have a diagnosis/isn't anything big like cancer.