unleashed dogs!

andrea742

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of people are brought up the way you were.
Growing up we didn't let our pets roam either, so thats just the way I am now. I'm glad I was brough up this way hehe. I have never had a dog get hit by a car, and I never want to chance it either.

The ones that get on my nerves are the ones that let their pets out, they get killed and go out and get a new one over and over. I guess some don't learn and thats what is sad

I have to say I don't feel for the owners much if they keep doing this.
I would think once something bad happens that they would see that anything could happen to a loose pet. I'm not talking about the ones that get loose by accident! Don't get me wrong

And as in your case you are one of the gems!! You saw how unsafe it is and you decided it was better for you pets not to roam, thats being a responsible pet owner to me!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Off leash dogs are a huge problem in pretty much everywhere I have lived, from rural to city. People just don't think the laws apply to them and many accidents happen this way. I wish the leash laws were enforced more closely. My dogs are very well trained but I keep them on leash in public areas since it is the right thing to do.

And it never fails, the people who don't bother with leashes also think their dogs just wants to say hi (which is not a good idea http://www.livingwithdogs.us/article...-say-hi.pdf)or is just so very nice, when in reality the person knows nothing about dog behavior and the dog is not nice, well trained, or behaved at all.

I carry Bear spray with me on our walks and an air horn. It works.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I'm a little extreme with my animals. They're all on health plans. Those health plans cost me $120 a month. They get expensive food, and they're partially on a raw diet as well.. They easily (my four, not including my sister's boy) cost me $200 a month. But, I'm paranoid after losing so many animals in my life (and only a small percentage of that was due to outside issues).. mostly due to unknown diseases, etc. So, I'm sure I'm the other extreme.
They go to the vet for every sneeze, sniffle, cough if it happens more than a few times. Of course, they all get free office visits, so.. (one of the reasons I have them on health plans).

But honestly, I know I'm just as extreme in my own way. These little guys are my kids. If someone ( my mother included, as I just argued with her about this while she was visiting with her parrot).. comes to my house, they need to realize that they're coming into my cats' house. This is their house, they live here. If it came down to choosing between a guest and my cats, even if that guest is my very opinionated, overly self-righteous mother, the cats win. However, the minute I were to let my cats outside, if I did that, it would change their rights.. and the people around me would have more rights than my cats. Would be the same if I still had a dog. That's why I keep 'em in, partially, so they can be as spoiled and rotten as they want.

And someone would be sure to steal these guys given their markings.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Personally, I'm a little extreme with my animals. They're all on health plans. Those health plans cost me $120 a month. They get expensive food, and they're partially on a raw diet as well.. They easily (my four, not including my sister's boy) cost me $200 a month.

But honestly, I know I'm just as extreme in my own way. These little guys are my kids. If someone ( my mother included, as I just argued with her about this while she was visiting with her parrot).. comes to my house, they need to realize that they're coming into my cats' house. This is their house, they live here. That's why I keep 'em in, partially, so they can be as spoiled and rotten as they want.

that is extreme???
Guess I am too then

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a question for all of you- what do you say to the owner if they allow their dog to charge up to you or get in your dogâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s face? I would like to think of a more polite response in hopes of it actually encouraging people to be a bit more responsible and respectful of others…without coming across as rude myself or making it sound like something is wrong with my dogs.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted that on the first page of this thread- one of my favorite dog articles.
. As much as I wish I could just hand that out to people to read...I don't think it would go over too well. (unless I provide refreshments and lawn chairs). I did think about writing to the editor of the paper and mentioning the article, but I don't know how much it would help because most of the offenders seem to be tourists.

I have no problem being blunt if the person is a jerk or obviously doesn't care (tourists are the worst about that), but I think there must be a better way to approach people that honestly weren't thinking so they don't go on the defensive and miss the message. Looking back I can think of a few different ways I could have handled things that would have gotten a better response (like feigning concern for the dog's safety or being a bit friendlier myself). That is why I am curious what other people have used and found worked well for them.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

I posted that on the first page of this thread- one of my favorite dog articles.

I have no problem being blunt if the person is a jerk or obviously doesn't care (tourists are the worst about that), That is why I am curious what other people have used and found worked well for them.
Sorry I missed that you posted that article. I love that article too. The article has suggestions, such as getting in front and taking control of the situation, being firm with the other dogs, body blocks, I do all of these in subtle ways, sometimes in obvious ways if the dog is without their human.

It all depends with me that age of the people handling the dog, who does have the dog (if they seem nice yet just clueless) a leash or no leash, the time I have to talk, and my mood of course

Seriously, what personally works for me most of the time is I say my dog is in training, don't let your dog come up to them please! it really helps. Since my dog(s) usually is/are in training - not to be rude to go up to other dogs and get in their faces.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*edit* sorry, this was in response to my post about me being extreme... more was added since then.

Well, just ask my mother who I've repeatedly nagged this week about treating my cats right.

As far as other dogs are concerned, I put my dog in a sit position, move in front of him, and very commandingly tell the other dog to sit. I don't have a big fear of dogs, though. Usually the other person comes out and apologizes. Of course, I don't have to employ this tactic any more, since I no longer have a dog, and it wouldn't have worked with Elisa, as she'd likely have torn them apart, but it worked pretty well when I had other dogs, and they were all very well behaved.

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

Just a question for all of you- what do you say to the owner if they allow their dog to charge up to you or get in your dogâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s face? I would like to think of a more polite response in hopes of it actually encouraging people to be a bit more responsible and respectful of others…without coming across as rude myself or making it sound like something is wrong with my dogs.
First I would make sure the other dog was under control. The best way to avoid a fight is to make sure they do not get eye contact for any length of time. When walking Tal (my year old Labrador), if another dog barks or worse, stares at him, he will of course want to stare back. I have worked with him and I just say his name and gently pull his leash to get his attention back to me. That avoided at least one potential bad scene. Tal is about as aggressive as toast and I want to keep him that way.

As for dogs not getting enough exercise unless they are off leash, there are plenty of ways to do that within the confines of a safe area. A ball field, church lot (not during services of course!) and a host of other places. If you live in a larger metro area, there are doggy day care places and believe me they get plenty of exercise! There is a small park close to where I live and I take Tal there every morning to play fetch for about an hour. It is enclosed and I go there when no one else is there. I would never have him on a street off leash, I won't even leave him in the backyard unattended. I am not so much worried about what he would do but there are people mean enough who would let him out, or even steal him.

Do owners who do not properly care for their dogs should not have them, That goes for any pet too, whether dog, cat, turtle or whatever. I was raised in an era where you kept your dog outside. But we never allowed him to run out of the back yard. And when we walked him, he was always on leash.