Unknown Cat Allergy - Seeking Advice

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are two photos of the paw issue. The main paw pad one is not as clear of a photo. The problem starts as almost like a rash on the edge of the main paw pad and then gets dark bacteria around it, ulcers, and eventually scabs. The problem then moves to the edges of the toe pads on the same paw.
Oh, your poor boy! It's so frustrating to see them dealing with problems that take so many appointments and so many tests to figure out. I hope testing a new cleaning system is enough to remove the irritants; it's also a faster and more convenient course of action than waiting for vet appointments and test results.

Two things you can ask your vet about in the meantime are fish oil and epsom salts. Neither will be a miracle cure right now, his allergies seem too intense at the moment, but they can help. The fish oil will help his body's inflammatory response to the allergens; one of my cats has major dust and mold allergies and fish oil helps tremendously to controlling her symptoms. And while an epsom salt bath or wrap may sound odd, it can provide a lot of relief for swelling and itching. A cat in our rescue needed this after a severe case of dermatitis and it helped a lot.

Definitely clean everything his paws come into contact with, since he could be spreading the irritants as he walks around. So flooring, bedding, litter boxes, any favorite sleeping spots, that sort of thing.

Another route to explore could be environmental allergies related to furniture and belongings. It's possible some belongings brought old allergens into a new home, or exposure to new furniture could cause something like "sofa dermatitis". But I think cleaning products are the right place to start for now. Whatever the cause, I hope you find relief very soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catstorulethemall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, your poor boy! It's so frustrating to see them dealing with problems that take so many appointments and so many tests to figure out. I hope testing a new cleaning system is enough to remove the irritants; it's also a faster and more convenient course of action than waiting for vet appointments and test results.

Two things you can ask your vet about in the meantime are fish oil and epsom salts. Neither will be a miracle cure right now, his allergies seem too intense at the moment, but they can help. The fish oil will help his body's inflammatory response to the allergens; one of my cats has major dust and mold allergies and fish oil helps tremendously to controlling her symptoms. And while an epsom salt bath or wrap may sound odd, it can provide a lot of relief for swelling and itching. A cat in our rescue needed this after a severe case of dermatitis and it helped a lot.

Definitely clean everything his paws come into contact with, since he could be spreading the irritants as he walks around. So flooring, bedding, litter boxes, any favorite sleeping spots, that sort of thing.

Another route to explore could be environmental allergies related to furniture and belongings. It's possible some belongings brought old allergens into a new home, or exposure to new furniture could cause something like "sofa dermatitis". But I think cleaning products are the right place to start for now. Whatever the cause, I hope you find relief very soon!
Thank you. Agree, it's very hard when vets don't know and heartbreaking for him to go through all of this.

Catstorulethemall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor kitty, I hope he gets some relief soon! I didn't see if you mentioned he was on any allergy medication? My GA cat Sonny had extreme atopic dermatitis from allergies; he pulled and chewed all the fur from over 3/4 of his body. We never were able to diagnose what he was allergic to, but after a trial on a few different allergy medications we finally found one that provided him some relief. Every once in a while he'd get a Depo shot, but otherwise his dermatitis cleared in 6 months.
Thank you. I'm glad you found something that worked. He is on cyclosporine which is supposed to help control allergic responses, but so far hasn't helped with the lip and paw inflammation and ulcer issues.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can take a few weeks to a few months of non-contact with the allergen before it clears.

Even for humans...when I had contact dermatitis it took two months before the swelling and blistering on my fingers reduced. Magnus's toe nail beds swelling is at its worst two weeks after contact with beef/cheese/milk. Allergies are odd.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This general cleaner is safe to use if you omit the essential oil: My Mom Finally Shared Her Secret Miracle Spray Recipe With Me — and It’s a Game-Changer

3 cups of water (half a cup will be boiled)
1 ½ heaping tablespoons of laundry washing soda (not baking soda)
⅔ cup of vinegar
2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid
½ or 1 tablespoon of pure essential oil (omit to make it pet-friendly)

Use a measuring cup and spoons to measure out the ingredients. Boil half a cup of water and mix it with the washing soda until it’s dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients. Pour it all into a 30 or 32 ounce spray bottle — and there you have it!

How is your cat today?

Catstorulethemall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can take a few weeks to a few months of non-contact with the allergen before it clears.

Even for humans...when I had contact dermatitis it took two months before the swelling and blistering on my fingers reduced. Magnus's toe nail beds swelling is at its worst two weeks after contact with beef/cheese/milk. Allergies are odd.
So odd!

Catstorulethemall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This general cleaner is safe to use if you omit the essential oil: My Mom Finally Shared Her Secret Miracle Spray Recipe With Me — and It’s a Game-Changer

3 cups of water (half a cup will be boiled)
1 ½ heaping tablespoons of laundry washing soda (not baking soda)
⅔ cup of vinegar
2 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid
½ or 1 tablespoon of pure essential oil (omit to make it pet-friendly)

Use a measuring cup and spoons to measure out the ingredients. Boil half a cup of water and mix it with the washing soda until it’s dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients. Pour it all into a 30 or 32 ounce spray bottle — and there you have it!

How is your cat today?
He's doing okay, paws almost healed right now but we never know how long it'll last. The longest break he's had since November was two weeks. :(

shmecky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat also has these ouchie allergy paws! Licked and hurt her hocks and totally injured one of her ears. Vet prescribed allergy food PR but the first ingredient is peas. I took her off all peas and her poop became totally solid. She's never had a solid poop in her life! I also sent off a hair sample to 5strands. I'm hoping the results can lead me to some more food choices for her. She hates topical meds, and destroys her skin after, but I'm hoping to get answers from the allergy test. I don't think I could get a pill in her daily, she's like a wild indoor cat. Good luck!