Unintentionally Started 'training' Kitten To Scratch The Furniture.

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welp. I wanted Reese to scratch her cat tree instead of the furniture. Every time I saw her scratching the carpet or the couch I'd pick her up and put her on the tree, then grab a toy and lure her up the posts so she could 'feel' the sisal rope. There were a few times that she'd scratch it, then I'd pop a treat into her mouth and tell her she was a good girl! This went on for several days consistently. I guess she started building a connection with the scratching and playing.

Now the little snot runs and scratches on the side of the chair when she wants my attention! She'll even stop mid scratch to peek around the couch and see if I'm watching. When I get up she runs to her tree or her toys excitedly, ready to play our game. OOPS.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shes got you trained. Clever cat. Put some double sided sticky tape on the area she scratches, that should stop her. Also rub some catnip on the scratches posts to attract her to the places you want her to scratch.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is too funny!! Sorry, not trying to be mean, but it does sound like you have a pretty tricky little girl on your hands! Hope you can re-train her soon, with info like the above article rubysmama provided.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobiDaDog

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is too funny!! Sorry, not trying to be mean, but it does sound like you have a pretty tricky little girl on your hands! Hope you can re-train her soon, with info like the above article rubysmama provided.
Oh no don't worry about it, I can't stop laughing about it either! She's a very smart girl. A naughty little thing, but I'm still impressed that she built a connection. I'll follow the link and see what I can do! I used double sided sticky tape on a kitten once before and it worked...but to be fair he wasn't nearly as smart as Reese and it only took a few tries.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I hope something in that article helps. However, I hope it doesn't have to come down to those blasted nail caps. I think those things are crazy.

(Here comes the tomato throwing) All of my cats have been declawed (front paws), and I was lucky because as far as I know NONE of them had any issues from it. But, the stuff I read now, I don't think I could do that to another cat. I would have to go the route you are going; so for my own selfishness, I am really routing for your success!!!!!!!