Unhappy kitties :(

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here I am once more, asking for advice! It ties in to a couple previous threads but I'll sum up the situation!
-Early December, everything was dandy and normal with my two cats, Remi and Theo!
-Midway through December, Remi started peeing on my bed and couple other specific locations, which I deemed as spraying since he wasn't showing signs of illness, he was a happy kitten as always. I wasn't concerned because he was to be neutered soon.
-Remi was neutered the day after christmas. When he came home, Theo did not recognize him at all and was aggressive, terrified, and distraught. He stopped eating for a bit.
-After about a week things calmed down a bit. Theo was civil with Remi, but he had changed. He was very upset, just in general.

Now, a few weeks later, things have worsened.
Theo is constantly pacing and yowling. Low, mournful meows. He is eating splendidly and looks great (energy levels and coat) but he won't play anymore, and is completely sad and distraught unless he is away from Remi. When Remi isn't there, he's happy and he plays and has fun. What's weird is that he's not visibly upset with Remi. They sometimes sleep with each other (much less than before, though). He never swipes at Remi but if he's frustrated gives a low growl. He scratches at the door to go out and cries and just looks so sad, it makes me sad.
Remi, on the other hand, has started inappropriate elimination again. Usually just once a day he pees outside the boxes. Otherwise he seems fine, full of life and energy, a velcro kitty as always. (he's sitting awkwardly on my arm right now. He must be touching me at all times lol)
I just want my kitties to feel happy again, especially Theo. I don't know what to do honestly and would love any advice.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its quite normal for a cat to react differently to another cat that has just come back from the vets, they smell different but it usually only lasts for a couple of hours. Try scent swopping, if there is something Remi sleeps on, put Theo to sleep on it. Rub Remi with a towel or cloth and then rub it on Theo and vice versa. Play with them together and try to get them to interact. When cats pee outside of the litter tray its can be a sign of a health issue such as a UTI. Cats are extremely perspective and maybe Theo is picking up on this. If your vet is approachable, I would give him a ring and tell him about the litter box issue.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is Theo? Is he neutered?

And about Remi, I agree with V verna davies that he could have a UTI and should be checked out at the vet to rule that out. Once determined it's not an UTI we can try to figure out what's causing this behavior.

TCS has some articles on litter box issues, that might be helpful:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – Cat Articles

Also ensure you're cleaning where Remi pees with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the urine scent is completely removed.

How To Remove Cat Urine – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its quite normal for a cat to react differently to another cat that has just come back from the vets, they smell different but it usually only lasts for a couple of hours. Try scent swopping, if there is something Remi sleeps on, put Theo to sleep on it. Rub Remi with a towel or cloth and then rub it on Theo and vice versa. Play with them together and try to get them to interact. When cats pee outside of the litter tray its can be a sign of a health issue such as a UTI. Cats are extremely perspective and maybe Theo is picking up on this. If your vet is approachable, I would give him a ring and tell him about the litter box issue.
How old is Theo? Is he neutered?

And about Remi, I agree with V verna davies that he could have a UTI and should be checked out at the vet to rule that out. Once determined it's not an UTI we can try to figure out what's causing this behavior.

TCS has some articles on litter box issues, that might be helpful:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – Cat Articles

Also ensure you're cleaning where Remi pees with an enzyme cleaner to ensure the urine scent is completely removed.

How To Remove Cat Urine – Cat Articles
Is Theo also fixed? Sorry if you said that in a previous thread but it could be the answer if Theo is intact.
Theo is 1 1/12 and yes he is fixed!
Thank you for the articles, I'll do some reading! I did talk to my vet, who ruled it as spraying, but now that he's continuing I think I'll have to bring him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kosame

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!!! Theo is doing a lot better now, he's happy and playful again!
We ruled out health issues for Remi's inappropriate urination. Its really becoming a big struggle for me. I love him so I'm not angry, I understand he's just being a cat, and I'm glad he's not sick. But I'm really struggling. He's consistently peeing on my bed and the dogs bed, and on clothes/blankets if I leave them out. Its getting really difficult to manage. Otherwise I'm happy he's ok and happy! But I really need help, I'm pretty stressed

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried putting some puppy pads around your home, it sounds as if he likes soft things to pee on. My mother had a cat that would only pee on paper, books, invoices etc. She used to put old newspapers down and it worked a treat.