Unhappy Housemates

Katie.f193

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 year old male cat living in my house, he has been here since kitten hood. A few months ago his brother (who also lived here) was hit by a car and passed away. So Mr. Harley became a lonely indoor kitty. When I was in college I got a cat, and when my fiancé and I moved home Miss Ella moved in with his parents. Thinking this is the time to bring them together, I split my house in two and made her comfortable...The other day I had them trade spaces and Harley was aggressively unhappy with the smells. I have calming collars on them both and a pheromone diffuser but these things do not seem to be effective at all. Only when Ella moved in did Harley start getting wet food for breakfast.

Harley is not fully neutered, as his vet had strongly advocated to only do a vasectomy when he was a kitten. I'm not sure if it would be of any help to neuter him now that he is an adult.
I'm not sure what else to do!! Any ideas?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you in the US? What was the vets reasoning for that? I have never heard of doing that lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katie.f193

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you in the US? What was the vets reasoning for that? I have never heard of doing that lol.
I wish I knew! Harley was originally my mom's so I was not present at his procedure. But I see the goods every day so he obviously was not fully neutered, lol.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one cat that had the vasectomy and he peed in the house. (That was in Europe where apparently it is a thing.) I would see if your vet is willing to neuter him since you are trying to bring in another cat.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew! Harley was originally my mom's so I was not present at his procedure. But I see the goods every day so he obviously was not fully neutered, lol.
Well I'm not sure what you mean, my Charlie is Neutered, but his little bag is still there. If I were to pick him up as a stray, I'd think he was still in tact, but he's definitely been done. In fact we did have a stray at college, the vet student I was living with said he was in tact. We took him off for a chip check and she (vet) ran her hands over his junk and said he was definitely done.

Anyway, the breakfast change might be the reason for the bad mood, we've run out of dry food but I won't buy cheap c***, the carb fast is killing my two they are acting like they are ravenous 100% of the time. I have been feeding them though (I promise!!) Maybe offer some spread out dry, closer to the boundary. It's well worth reading the intro threads / guides.