Unexplained Hair Loss

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few days ago, I noticed this bald spot on Daisy's head.  I thought it was from scrapping with one of our other kitties, but now I'm not sure.  It seems to be getting larger.  She gets a daily antihistamine for seasonal allergies, has no fleas that I've noticed (her last flea treatment was about 3 months ago), doesn't seem to scratch or be itchy, and it's only affecting her head and the back of her left ear.  All of the spots are on the left side of her head.  The only change that might be causing it is that we changed one of her foods about two or three weeks ago.  We introduced Canidae Pure Elements Grain-free Chicken, Turkey, and Lamb formula canned food.

She is the only one of the four who is having the skin issues.  Also, it's located only on her head and behind one ear, not all over her body.  She's not itchy at all, other than the normal scratches.  She's eating normally, using the box normally, and a total love bug otherwise.

We are going to eliminate the new food and see if that doesn't clear things up, but would love any other suggestions or ideas. 

Last edited:

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long has she been treated for allergies? What meds are being given? Just wondering if it is a drug reaction on top of other allergies...

I have a small bald spot on my right temple; my doctor says it is alopecia;it has never spread, not itchy or caused any other symptom-but doesn't grow back either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's been getting a daily dose of Claritin for the past 3 years.  Two of my other kitties also get Claritin (for several years) and they haven't had any negative reaction to it.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
When Abby is allergic to a food, she will start scratching all around her ears until she loses fur. I would definitely say it could be the food, although you haven't seen her scratching.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 The reason I asked about any meds is a friend was giving prescription HyperT meds to her cat; the pharmacy then changed the compounding ingredients and it did cause gastro upset in the cat.  The odd thing with your kitty is, I can't see evidence of the skin looking red or itchy and you say you haven't seen her scratching either- that's why I don't understand how it could be allergies, not to mention mites, fleas, etc...She couldn't be hyper T could she? Guess all you can do is keep a close eye on it and see if the  eliminating the new food makes any difference.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Let us know if the change in diet works. I hope it does! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Daisy.   I really hope the change with her food again helps.  

Just a thought but if you haven't seen her scratching, could she be rubbing up against anything?   Also wondering about perhaps an ear irritation where maybe she would rub or scratch at that area to try and relieve itching or discomfort in her ear?  Either mites or maybe skin reaction inside her ear somewhere?  I know someone who sometimes had excema just inside their ear and it drove them to distraction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, she's got an appointment with the vet next week.  We're eliminating the new food to see if that has any effect.  She has been scratching her ears, but not excessively, maybe once a day.  The spots don't look any bigger today, which is a good thing.