Unexpected problem (half kidding- read to find out)

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here in the southern hemisphere we are in the middle of summer, with temperatures over 38°C (98°F) every day for the last month or so; New Year's day was over 100°F 🥵🥵 Pantera has not been enjoying this, she doesn't like hot weather. Like many people here, really

Off and on we have given Pantera a bath. Not very often, since as an indoor cat she doesn't really need regular baths.It's interesting that Pantera isn't afraid of water. Unaccustomed to water, but unafraid. When we 've done it, we only used water and a good brushing while wet, then a good towel down. No soap, just water and brushing to get rid of as much loose hair as possible. We haven't given her a bath in quite some time, so we were a bit surprised by this one.

Pantera doesn't like warm water, only cool/cold water.

Because the cistern for our building is in direct sunlight, all our water is very warm. Heated by the sun for free. Pantera was not happy; we wanted to give her a quick bath to help her cool off, but it didn't quite work out as expected :fireblob::D:blackcat2:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ice cubes. That'll help. During the summer, when I set out water for the local ferals, I always add an ice cube every couple of hours to keep the water cool. It would certainly help lower the water temp to something that she is happier with! Or keep a jug of water in the refrigerator, and mix it with the warmer water to the desirable temp!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I know someone who has a Norwegian Forest Cat who does very poorly in the summer months. She is shaved down and must be near an air conditioner nearly all the time. She gets bathed with cool water at least a few times a week.

One day after a bad storm, the electricity was down for 5 days in July. The cat was panting alot as well as meowing. My friend gave her kitty cool water, but that wasn't enough. She got an idea. The refrigerator was working because she had a generator keeping it running. She got a cold compress, that was cool (not frigid) and put it on the back of the cat's neck and her cat started purring after awhile. My friend pick up the habit after that of putting an old damp face towel in a freezer bag in the refrigerator and when the cat needed to be attended to she use it to wipe down and cool the kitty off.

Well, I just thought I share that with you. All the best to you and your kitty.🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cold compress is an interesting idea, thanks :clap2:
We already give Pantera and Pimenta water from the refrigerator (and yes, they drink much more than most cats). Mainly, Pantera has learned the best spots in the apartment to avoid the heat during the day. At nighttime and the rare day that the temperature drops, Pantera is back to her high-energy self.

I'll always find it funny that Pantera is totally cool with water and baths, but not warm or hot water. It's also notable that Pimenta feels the heat too, but not to the same degree. And she does not like water at all

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The heat finally gave a pause on Saturday: the temperature dropped more than 12°, and now we get torrential rain every day- three storms in three days.

Pantera is loving it: zoomies every hour on the hour (not an exaggeration :blackcat2: :shocked:)