Unethical breed but… a Scottish fold needs help

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If everything turns out as planned, I will shortly be able to pick up my new cat. But, before then, I would like to put my feelings into words. A three-year old Scottish-Fold BSH has spent her life in a cage, producing kittens. I have volunteered to take her – not as a foster but to keep and, hopefully to allow her to spend the rest of her life happy and pain-free. I have already read all the articles I can find on osteochondrodysplasia (OCD), polycystic kidney disease (PKD) and am now prepared for the fact that my protégé will more likely than not be seriously at risk – knowing her history. I have 2 good vets – who will also keep me well supplied with pain-killers and anything else that becomes necessary.

I have fostered many cats, 3 of which had previously been used purely for breeding purposes. When no longer wanted, two BSHs had been simply deposited on a disused coalfield together with other BSH cats – at least one of these had to be euthanized. They were beautiful creatures and I had them for quite a long time. They both had to be spayed, and had fleas and ticks. They were rather shy but we got on well together. I was not too happy when they went to new homes: the first new owner gave them up after complaining about shedding and the second family were unhappy because the cats didn’t want anything to do with children.

My third case was a calico, who was kept only for her beautiful kittens, which were sold far too early. The cat was a nervous wreck. She hid on the highest shelf and it took me a long time to win her trust. The family who took her expected her to be forever grateful. I tried to help them and even arranged a cat-hotel for them so that they could go on holiday, but they broke off all contact.

So, I’m not taking any more risks. When I pick up this cat, she’ll be mine and she can act as she pleases. I already have my own 13 year old cat and 3 fosters (all female) who haven’t yet managed to find new homes and probably never will. My house is large, each cat can have her own room, if that’s what they want. Normally, they are all where I am!

I will put her in her own room at first. She will be kept there until she decides she wants to come out. One of my foster cats will certainly try to visit her as she’s very inquisitive, but she is easy to control. I have a large dog crate in which I will make her a bed; perhaps she will feel more secure there. But there is also a sofa, cat tree and a selection of cat baskets in the room. Hopefully, she won’t decide to hide away on the top of the cupboard.

She has now been spayed, vaccinated, tested for FeLV and FIV so I don’t think I’ll need to take her to the vet, until she’s settled down – unless of course, something else is amiss.

I am so looking forward to having her especially as I have decided that this will be my last cat! (Not counting fosters of course!) :)