Underweight cat??

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My little girl is turning 2 in a few days. She’s a Persian. I’m starting to get worried for her because she weighs only 8lbs (3.6kg) and her brother weighs 5.5kg or so. She’s all fluff. I recently trimmed her fur down and saw that she is quite boney. She eats well, great appetite, but I’m afraid perhaps I’m not feeding her the RIGHT food for her to gain weight? Should I get those calorie weight gainers (Miracle Vet) for her?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats are just smaller. My girls is usually in the 7-7.5lb range while my boy is 14lb (he currently has a shaved eyebrow from a fight).

IMG_20191125_193919_800.jpg

I can feel every rib and spinal bone petting Rocket. But she does have a small layer of fat and I can't see the bones easily. She also has clear eyes, good coat, perfect blood work, good appetite and good potty outputs. My vet has checked her over and has said she doesnt want her to get below 7 pounds, but everything looks good. She is just a small cat (semi related: I made a comment when we saw a neurologist about 6 months ago that Rocket has huge eyes for her size and the vet said she'd grow into them.... she's nearly 5 years old, lol). If you have a vet appointment coming up ask your vet their opinion to double check, but if everything else looks good health wise she is probably fine.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Totally agree with Kieka Kieka . Cats come in all sizes. I have two males and one is 9 pounds, his brother is 14+ pounds. The smaller one is boney (in my opinion) but the Vet says he's "perfect".

I would ask your Vet what they think at your next Vet visit