Understanding Cat's Stool

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't believe I'm asking about stools :dunno:...but since they are important, telling signs of a cat's health, I want to be educate myself about them. So here it goes (and these may be super elementary questions so pls bear with me) -

I see other posts discussing soft stools or blood in stools...how do you tell they are soft? Or if there is blood? Or if it's diarrhea?

I currently use a non-clumping clay litter (from the shelter. Will switch to the Arm & Hammer clumping litter after this bag's done) and all my kitty's poops just get wrapped up in clay so I don't really see them other than the shapes. And the shapes are usually 1) little balls, 2) a cylindrical shape, or sometimes 3) just a big pile altogether.

They smell right after she poops, but the smell dissipates after a while and as they dry out and clay wraps around them.

What should be on the lookout for when it comes to examining my cat's stools?

Thanks!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I think that a proper stool must be cilindrical in shape, or cigar shaped, dark in color, and not soft.
Soft, to me, is when you lift it up with the scoop and it changes shape or drops on a side, or "leaves a... mark" on the scoop... :oops:
If it isn't even properly shaped it is too soft, and if it looks like "a sauce" then it is diarrhea.
When it's not properly solid, it has a different color and smell.
Mucus or blood are things that you should be able to see even in non clumping litter. Clumping is for urine, stools will always get wrapped by litter, both clumping and non-clumping.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi PMousse and welcome to the forum !

'Sounds like you're looking for a 'Poop 101'............

Here are a couple of reliable references....

The first, "Updated 6/1/14 with added poop pictures for your viewing pleasure" (those are Dr. Pierson's words) is here: Constipation - Making Cat Food - CatInfo.com Lisa A. Pierson D.V.M.

The second (no pix this time, though!) is here: Poop - FelineConstipation.org

I believe that those two sites should be required reading' for anyone who's responsible for a cat. I'd really recommend them to you....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes it is Poop 101 :)

Thanks for all the links, everyone! I'll be studying them when I get home tonight. And as much as it is kinda gross to look at charts and pictures, they do help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I think that a proper stool must be cilindrical in shape, or cigar shaped, dark in color, and not soft.
Soft, to me, is when you lift it up with the scoop and it changes shape or drops on a side, or "leaves a... mark" on the scoop... :oops:
If it isn't even properly shaped it is too soft, and if it looks like "a sauce" then it is diarrhea.
When it's not properly solid, it has a different color and smell.
Mucus or blood are things that you should be able to see even in non clumping litter. Clumping is for urine, stools will always get wrapped by litter, both clumping and non-clumping.
Your descriptions are very helpful! By your descriptions my cat has certainly had soft stools, but they come and go (Like she'll have soft stools in one poop sitting, then the next time it'll be back to cylindrical/cigar shaped). Should I be worried about that?

Also, thanks for clarifying the meaning of clumping haha~