Undecided

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just catching up again ;)

It sounds like things are going wonderfully. I wouldn't be at all worried by that little bitty/scratchy incident. As others have said, Shadow simply got overstimulated. This is perfectly normal, especially early on while you're still getting to know each other. Watch his body language when you're stroking him - the second that tail starts twitching, stop stroking, and maybe give him a toy he can 'kill' to give him an appropriate release for the pent up energy. In time, you'll get to know how long he likes being stroked at a time - my girl loves to sit on/near me, but can't handle long stretches of being petted.

Shadow looks to be settling in wonderfully - I'm sure he'll soon be thoroughly relaxed and settled with you :D (LOVING that cat tree, btw :clap: Just amazing :D )

Would you guys go along with that, not that I don't believe what lovefive is saying but it's always nice to hear what everyone else has to say, the more the merrier!!
It totally depends on the type of litter you use. We scoop each day and then do a full clean of the box when the litter starts getting too yucky. We were using Worlds Best Cat Litter and we are changing it out tomorrow, have been using it for about four weeks I think. I just play it by ear.
:yeah: Basically, one of the biggest deciding factors when it comes to the litterbox is the type of litter you use. If you use a clumping litter you can go a significant length of time between changes, as both poop and urine are removable with scooping. If, however, you choose a non-clumping litter, then the entire box will need to be dumped out and scrubbed down at least once a week. This is because you're only removing the poop by scooping - the urine just gets absorbed by the litter. That's why you'll see such big discrepancies with length of time between scrubbing and replacing the entire box ;) [article="33395"][/article][article="31189"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="22302"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="22318"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="31211"][/article][article="32424"][/article]

Last edited:

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sunoersea sunoersea Declawing is either illegal or just not done in Europe so no worries there.

hellomisskitty hellomisskitty There aren't any coyotes in the UK.

What's your area like for cats? For example my parents live in a nice quiet suburban street full of cats wandering about doing their rounds, whereas some friends live on a busy main road. You should really keep him in a bit longer. It might be worth getting a harness to take him outside at first. Do you have a cat flap?

Remember there's a cultural divide on here, in the US it's odd to let your cat out and in the UK it's odd not to.

sunoersea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's excellent. When we brought our new cat home, we created a safe room for 3-7 days (she loved it so it lasted for 7) that had the litter box, food, toys, and scratching post/cat tree. It's always a great idea to cat proof the home, especially with a new family member. Also, think about places you wouldn't necessarily expect a cat to get into-- a box spring under the mattress (this can be easily fixed with a fitted sheet over the bottom) or duct work near the laundry units. Outdoors isn't recommended due to the amount of outside risks a cat is often exposed to. It's not cruel to keep a cat inside; the house becomes their territory and hunting zone. You can even acclimate a cat to supervised car trips and excursions safely in a carrier; we take ours on trips to visit family and friends so that she can visit and experience new places. A catio is a great compromise if you feel the outside is necessary. Have fun with your new addition! He seems to adjusting wonderfully; it usually takes cats ages to eat and drink in a new environment. Cuddles and bonding will come with time and patience! Enjoy!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sunoersea sunoersea Declawing is either illegal or just not done in Europe so no worries there.

hellomisskitty hellomisskitty There aren't any coyotes in the UK.

What's your area like for cats? For example my parents live in a nice quiet suburban street full of cats wandering about doing their rounds, whereas some friends live on a busy main road. You should really keep him in a bit longer. It might be worth getting a harness to take him outside at first. Do you have a cat flap?

Remember there's a cultural divide on here, in the US it's odd to let your cat out and in the UK it's odd not to.
I understand there is a cultural difference here however,
Shadow has recently had all of his teeth removed which would leave him with only his claws to defend himself. That puts him at increased risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi folks, well what a day, shadow came to me for cuddles 3 times & all 3 times he went for me, & as I thought & was told he had no teeth, what a total lie, he still had his canine teeth & he sunk them very deeply into my hand, resulting in me having to go to hospital to get the wound cleaned, dressed & a tetinus. I was so scared of him when I got back that I realised I was avoiding him & not interacting with him, which I know isn't at all good for any animal, so I made the very hard decision to let him go back to the cat rescue. very sad day for me [emoji]128553[/emoji][emoji]128549[/emoji]

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and that of the decent people on here are with you on this difficult day. [emoji]128529[/emoji]

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm doing ok, I just really wanted things to work for shadow and I as he's been through so much, but things just aren't meant to be of at least that's what I'm telling myself to stop me from getting any more upset.
My hand is ok just a bit sore, thank you all for your kind words

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
please don't be too hard on yourself. I'm really sorry this ended this way for you. About 6 months ago, my brother and sister in law adopted a cat that my 6 year old niece picked out for her 6th birthday present. My niece was in love with the cat but the cat was easily overstimulated and my niece always wanted to touch or hold her. As a result, there were a few bites and my brother and sister in law had to make the heartbreaking decision to return the cat. We were lucky enough to be able to follow the cat long enough to know that she was adopted by a couple who was very expirenced with cats, which in the end was a better fit for the cat. I tell you this so you know that sometimes these adoptions do not work out for one reason or the other and to know that Shadow will find the home that is best suited for him.
Be kind to yourself.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: Oh, hun :alright: Sometimes these things just don't work out. The right cat for you is out there. Get healed, regroup, and keep looking. Your cat will find you :nod:

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks hellomisskitty & columbine for your kind words, it means a lot & you're both right it just wasn't meant to be

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well folks I'm having a little cry that shadow has gone, I feel like a total failure, I really wanted it to work because he has been so much. Totally depressed right now [emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128553[/emoji][emoji]9785[/emoji]️

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh F flojo75 you are NOT a failure!!! I think the situation was a challenge to begin with: you had not met him before yesterday (right?) and because he has been thru so much, he probably does need a more cat savvy person to help him adjust. In some ways, it sounds like you were not given the full story on how he was coping nor the full story on his health (i.e. Still having teeth). I'm not blaming anyone but this situation was not necessarily set up to be successful.
It's ok to have a good cry to get thru this. If after you have processed all of this you still think you want to adopt a cat, please reach out....I'm sure there are plenty expirenced cat owners who would be happy to give you thoughts on the traits you might want to look for in a cat and tips on how to go about finding your furry soulmate.
I'm devastated for you F flojo75 I know you have a huge, kind heart so I can imagine how difficult this has been for you.

[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]10084[/emoji]️

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well folks I'm having a little cry that shadow has gone, I feel like a total failure, I really wanted it to work because he has been so much. Totally depressed right now [emoji]128557[/emoji][emoji]128553[/emoji][emoji]9785[/emoji]️
I'm so sorry to hear that he had to go. Don't feel like a failure, an easily overstimulated cat isn't really a great choice for a beginner, you couldn't have known that this was how it was going to be. I am hoping you won't be too discouraged not to try again with another cat in the future. 

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, I really appreciate your kind comments. I know I'll feel better in the morning after I've had a good cry, I always do!!!!