Undecided

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to monitor it & see how we go, if he does it once he's settled it I'll have to make a big decision

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with NewYork1303 NewYork1303 this has been a big day for both of you and Shadow is likely very overstimulated with all that has happened to him today. He probably was a little startled when a hand and scent that is not 100% familiar to him was there!
For now, I would suggest just letting him rub up against you and your hand rather than you go into pet him. That way he is in control of the action.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It takes time. My parent's rescue would still hiss a dad after some months, while sitting in his lap purring away.

Also cats have no go areas. You can't touch my boy cat's stomach and only I can touch his paws. A cat my grandparents had couldn't be petted from the front etc. He's just sorting it all out.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh thanks folks that's great advice. Yet another question, I know I bet your bored, shadow keeps meowing & im laid straight out on the sofa & im trying to get him to lay on me but he won't jump up on the sofa, is it because I'm taking up the whole sofa or is it just because he isn't used to me yet? I always lay stretched out on the sofa as I can't just sit there I have to lay out?? Stupid question I know, doh

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that Shadow is probably over-stimulated. You are still getting used to each other. Casey used to do that to me when he was a baby and he outgrew it. I also noticed changes in his body language before he would do it and over time was able to tell when it was happening before I would get bit or scratched.

It takes time when you adopt a new baby to figure out where the cat likes being petted. I have experience with cats and I have been bitten and scratched trying to learn the comfort zones and learning how to read the cat is getting over-stimulated. This is different for each cat and takes time to learn.

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thanks folks that's great advice. Yet another question, I know I bet your bored, shadow keeps meowing & im laid straight out on the sofa & im trying to get him to lay on me but he won't jump up on the sofa, is it because I'm taking up the whole sofa or is it just because he isn't used to me yet? I always lay stretched out on the sofa as I can't just sit there I have to lay out?? Stupid question I know, doh
He's probably not going to want to hop up with you right away. Cats rarely do anything on command and often will go out of their way to not do something you want them to do [emoji]128580[/emoji]He will hop up and be near you but on his own time table!
You'll begin to learn his habits and mannerisms and will be able to interpret what he needs. Right now, my guess is he is overstimulated. If possible, maybe play with him a little to get some of his nervous energy out.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks folk for all your advice, I'm such a dunce when it comes to cats, I could bore you all day with dogs!!!!

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries!! Cats and dogs are definiltley different. But you will figure that all out [emoji]128522[/emoji] Let Shadow take the lead and he will show you what he likes and does not like. Just be observant as to how he acts or reacts to you.

And....you are not a dunce! If I just adopted a dog, I would have absolutely no idea what to do [emoji]128561[/emoji][emoji]128569[/emoji]

lovefive

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hes shattered but happy and thats all because of you. [emoji]128570[/emoji]

sunoersea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since you're committed to keeping him indoors and are willing to invest in vet care, toys, bed, and other essentials, there is no issue with you having a cat. As long as you keep him stimulated during the day, he should do well! Don't forget that cats also sleep a lot and will often sync sleep schedules with you. You can, as others have suggested, look into getting him a friend. If he was used to a constant companion, the transition may be a little rough at first, but do not lose heart. As long as you prevent the cat from being board and provide plenty to do, he should be fine. 

Also, things to consider:

Is everyone in your familial unit on board with this decision?

Have you thought about your furniture and okay with not declawing (which is a cruel and unnecessary procedure)?

Are you willing to sacrifice time for a pet? (moments that are often taken for granted, running after work, long weekends, vacations)

Do you have a plan in place when/if you travel for vacation/work conference/long weekends?

Is anyone in your immediate family or close proximity allergic?

Can you ensure he will stay indoors (the outside carries too much risk for a cat)?

Can you commit to his lifetime?

Hopefully, you've thought about all these, but I figured I'd make suggestions so that you can decide.

Best of luck,

Beth

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Beth,

Yeah I've got him a big cat tree, loads of toys & I plan to play with him for half an hour before I go out each day, then on a night when I'm settled.
I don't go away so that's not an issue. He has being showing a lot of attention to the outdoors so once he's been here s few weeks I'll try him with the outdoors, if he takes to it then find if not that's ok too.
I'm hoping once he's trusted me he'll join me on the sofa for cuddles, he's taken himself upstairs somewhere (I'll admit I've lost him!!!!) for a sleep as he's been up since he got here at 2.15pm.
Thanks for your comments I appreciate your advice, I'm soon going to have to find him as I plan to put him in the kitchen all night to help him settle. There are so many places he can hide in my house. I'm pleased though that he has come downstairs on his own & has eaten all his food & had a good drink, so I'm happy.
I know it's all got to do with time & patience with him but I'll get there [emoji]128515[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
F flojo75 I think it sounds like Shadow is doing so well really quickly. Many cats don't eat or drink for a bit when first in a new home. Give yourself a pat on the back: all of your careful preparation is paying off [emoji]128079[/emoji][emoji]127995[/emoji]

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks hellomisskitty. He's fast asleep somewhere upstairs but I've nowhere at all, I'll have to go & hunt him out soon. How long would you recommend keeping him in for as he's showing a lot of attention to going out, he keeps going to the door & meowing so I am going to try him with the outdoors. I've heard two weeks is the norm??

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you know he knows where his food, water and litter is, it's ok to leave him sleeping where he is comfortable.

As far as letting him outside, I don't have any expirence with that but I'm sure others who do will chime in.

Keep us posted on how you guys are getting along [emoji]128522[/emoji]

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let a cat outside at all unless it is in a catio or is leash trained.  Your cat also may take longer than two weeks to adjust to a new living environment.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks hellomisskitty. He's fast asleep somewhere upstairs but I've nowhere at all, I'll have to go & hunt him out soon. How long would you recommend keeping him in for as he's showing a lot of attention to going out, he keeps going to the door & meowing so I am going to try him with the outdoors. I've heard two weeks is the norm??
I personally wouldn't let him go outside at all. The outdoors is a very dangerous place for a cat, especially early morning, evening, and night. If you want to let him enjoy the outdoors safely, I'd recommend taking him for walks with a harness or building an outdoor enclosure that will keep him safe from predators, dogs, and the like. My cats both go out for walks and they enjoy it greatly. It's a good compromise since the outdoors is just too dangerous. We've lost two cats in the past to predators outdoors.

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't let him out until you've gotten him a collar with tags and gotten him microchipped. He will likely not know where he is or how to get home if you let him out. The old mentality of "they know where their home is." Or the mentality that a cat will instinctually know where its home is- is false. Most indoor cats will freak out when allowed outside the first time (due to all the new sounds and smells). And this may cause them to bolt away and not know how to get home. And without a collar or a microchip, if he is found, someone will mistake him as a stray.

really, I don't recommend keeping cats indoor-outdoor, as indoor-outdoor cats statistically live much shorter lives due to the number of dangers that the cat can run into.

If you have to let him outside, I'd make sure to either harness train him (inside at first so he can get used to it) and take him on walks, or supervise him at all times when he is outside (which may not work considering how easy it is for a cat to bolt away and get lost).

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally wouldn't let him go outside at all. The outdoors is a very dangerous place for a cat, especially early morning, evening, and night. If you want to let him enjoy the outdoors safely, I'd recommend taking him for walks with a harness or building an outdoor enclosure that will keep him safe from predators, dogs, and the like. My cats both go out for walks and they enjoy it greatly. It's a good compromise since the outdoors is just too dangerous. We've lost two cats in the past to predators outdoors.
A friend of mine at work just lost her dear cat last week early one morning to a coyote. We live in a city not the country. It was terrible and she is understandably devastated. She feels it is her fault because she allowed him to go outside. I would not wish that kind of grief and guilt on anyone [emoji]128575[/emoji]