Undecided

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

A lady is selling her cat & has asked me to take him on. He's fully litter trained & trained to scratch a scratch post, he is 5yrs old & sleeps most of the day. He's going to be an outdoor cat eventually. He's very well behaved in the house. Do you think I should take him??
Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not that I don't want her I was just wanting an opinion, I have no problem keeping him indoors at all. I've got pictures of him & I love him.

Anyone that has any opinions would be greatly appreciated, please don't think I don't want him, in just looking for reassurance that I'm doing the right thing.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have no problem keeping him in the house why will he eventually be an outdoor cat? You either want this cat or you don't. Make a list of pros and cons and make your decision.

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I only mentioned him being an outdoor cat because his current owner keeps him as an outdoor cat, but I don't agree with it, personally I would have him as an indoor cat, his previous owners has him as an indoor cat & accidentally a workman let him out & he couldn't find his way home so this lady took him on but her own cats don't get on with him so she keeps him in an outdoor heated summer house.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you want a cat? Are you ready to take care of a cat? Only you can answer those questions :D. If you answer yes, I think a 5-year-old cat will give you a fine introduction to cat companionship. Better than starting with a little kitten and needing to deal with the toddler and teenage years ;).

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Do you want a cat? Are you ready to take care of a cat? Only you can answer those questions
. If you answer yes, I think a 5-year-old cat will give you a fine introduction to cat companionship. Better than starting with a little kitten and needing to deal with the toddler and teenage years

This cat sounds like a great cat.  If you're already attached to him (and it sounds like you are) and you are able to take care of him (including being able to afford vet care), I don't see the problem, especially since you are willing to keep him indoors.  Is there something in particular you are worried about?  

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm worried that he's going to be left for between 12-14hrs each day (that includes sleeping time as well).

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding litter trays & litter. How much litter should you put in the tray? I'm planning putting it in my kitchen about 8ft away from his food as he's used to it being in the kitchen. Also should I line the tray with anything. I plan to clean out the mess everyday & do a full clean every week, is that acceptable??

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah I'm worried that he's going to be left for between 12-14hrs each day (that includes sleeping time as well).
How many days a week will he be left that long?  Be sure to get him a lot of toys and a good place in front of a window to help with boredom.  And you might want to consider getting another cat to keep him company.   Definitely give him a lot of attention and play time when you are home.  
Hi folks,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding litter trays & litter. How much litter should you put in the tray? I'm planning putting it in my kitchen about 8ft away from his food as he's used to it being in the kitchen. Also should I line the tray with anything. I plan to clean out the mess everyday & do a full clean every week, is that acceptable??
I usually have between two to four inches - as I scoop, it goes down with time.  As for lining the tray, that's a matter of preference.  I found it was easier just to put some powdered litter deodorizer on the bottom of the box - this keeps the liquids from sticking and makes it easier to clean.  Cleaning everything out once a day and doing a full clean once a week should be okay.  Do keep the litter and food as far away as possible since cats don't like to eat near their litter box.  You could even try another room, like the bathroom.  Don't worry - he'll figure it out very quickly.  

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info, it's very much appreciated

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi margd,
He'd be left for that long each day, I plan to get him a cat tree, a scratch post & lots of toys. I've also got a large front window sill that he can sit on & look out at the world go by

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi margd,
He'd be left for that long each day, I plan to get him a cat tree, a scratch post & lots of toys. I've also got a large front window sill that he can sit on & look out at the world go by
I'm gone from home at least 10 hours each day and my kitty does fine. She has all that you mentioned above and does very well. I make a point to have plenty of cuddle and playtime with her when I get home from work and interact with her as much as I can while I'm getting ready for work in the mornings.
One good thing to do, if you can, is give an extra key to your home to a trusted friend or neighbor. That way, you have someone that can check in on him if something comes up and you are delayed. This not essential but is nice peace of mind just in case-I've only needed my next door neighbor to do this for me once in four years!
Sounds to me like you have put a lot of thought and care into making sure this boy has a good life...that is just lovely...he is a lucky kitty [emoji]10084[/emoji]️
Good luck and please post a photo when you have him home!

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi margd,

I just want the best for him, I don't have anyone to give a key to but I'm never going to be late so I won't need that option. Thanks for your advice. Reading between the lines he hasn't had much company or stimulation so I'm hoping that will really give him a lot of enjoyment

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had another thought that may or may not be a possibility: is there any way to put in a bird feeder outside a window? I recently purchased a small one, which sticks on the window with suction cups, and my kitty is now going nuts over the birds every day! Just another thought on an option to enrich your soon to be kitty's new life. The one I purchased was similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NVM2L6/?tag=&tag=thecatsite

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds like he's a nice kitty.  Have you always loved cats?  Have you ever had one as an adult or as a child and just really want one now?  Have you been to see the kitty yet to see if you like each other's personality/are a good match?  Pictures don't really take the place of seeing him in person. 

Being gone as much as 12 to 14 hours every sounds like a lot of alone time for the kitty, but this may be more interaction than he's currently getting.  I'm glad you want him to be an indoor kitty :)  Would you be open to getting a 2nd kitty?   Or is he bonded to another cat or dog where he is right now?  He may do well with a friend to keep him company.  

Last edited:

flojo75

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah that is a great idea, the only down side is that my window sill is at the front of my house, I have patio doors at the back, but I could put the cat tree there, it's an option, thanks