Unconventional food

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I currently have three cats and the eldest has just had most of his teeth removed , prior to the operation I have been feeding him grated. cheese and little pieces of chicken because that's all he could manage without pain. Now the dental operation is done his mouth is still very sore and he will still only take the grated cheese and the little pieces of chicken. I wondering how long it is safe to feed this unconventional diet?
teeth.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been? If it's been more than a few weeks you really want to get him on a balanced diet soon.

How long has it been since the surgery?

Maybe he'd be willing to eat some of the cat food that's basically just shredded chicken, like Fancy Feast Purely. It's expensive but he really needs those added vitamins and minerals. You can put a little cheese on it if it gets him to eat. (Note: Fancy Feast Broths aren't a balanced diet, don't get that accidentally. Purely is balanced.)

If he absolutely won't eat that, head on over to the raw/homecooked subforum and see what needs to be done to make a balanced homecooked diet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did the vet give your cat any pain medicine to take at home? If not, ask the vet for some. Teeth extractions are really painful. The most common pain medicine to give post dental surgery is buprenex.

Your cat really needs to eat cat food. Take a can of pate cat food and puree / mash it up with water until it's soupy. Your cat can lick up the liquid. You can syringe feed the mixture if needed. Ask the vet for suggestions on how to get your cat to eat, too. There are high calorie prescription canned foods you can temporarily feed until your cat is eating normally again

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try mixing some pate with water so that it’s thinner and he can lick it up without chewing, or get some very smooth wet food like tiki cat mousse or royal canin babycat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, when I had a cat who had dental surgery, I made him a mix of Babycat and Gerber chicken baby food. It's very smooth so it's easy for them to lap up. But if he's used to shredded chicken he might not like smooth food, that's why I said Fancy Feast Purely might work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His operation was last Monday and about 10 days prior to that he became frightened of his food ,he would growl at his food dish then run and hide. I don't have any pain meds .Communication with the vet is not great due to covid 19 I had to book him in and collect him after his Op in a public carpark, like you would deal in illegal substances

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The carpark part is almost funny if it were not that your cat is not well. One of my vets is sort of "secret agent" about appointments as well.

I have been in the same situation with a cat who was old and sick and did not eat any type of cat food. Eventually it becomes necessary to supplement which is complicated and tricky. I remember people here helping me years ago with it, but it is so much better for both of you if you can find some soft mousse type food, even if you mix the Gerber's into it or sprinkle the cheese on top.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you call the vet and ask for pain medication to give? The vet can do a curbside pick up or something. It's kind of cruel to not give any pain relief after tooth extractions. Not eating much is a sign of pain.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try feeding him Kitten Milk Replacement (KMR). Buy the dry form, then you can just mix up what you need.

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I contacted the vet again today and he said I should have been given a weeks supply of Metacam when I collected the cat. I will collect this Metacam later today and hopefully he will then eat more normally.

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been some weeks now since his dental op and still he can't manage his kibble or regular chunks, is this normal following a cat dental?
I've had him up the vet several times since his dental and no problems found.
He exists on a small tin of salmon cat food paste couple pouches of fine cut chicken cat food and a soft cheese triangle

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If most of his teeth are removed he may never want to eat kibble again. He can live just fine on wet food, just be sure to feed him enough calories :).

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been some weeks now since his dental op and still he can't manage his kibble or regular chunks, is this normal following a cat dental?
I've had him up the vet several times since his dental and no problems found.
He exists on a small tin of salmon cat food paste couple pouches of fine cut chicken cat food and a soft cheese triangle
What is his dry food? Some dry foods are too big or too hard.

And have you tried pate/mousse texture wet food as it's been suggested?

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If most of his teeth are removed he may never want to eat kibble again. He can live just fine on wet food, just be sure to feed him enough calories :).
He's had a lot of teeth out so I guess he will have to continue with his soft food. He tries to steal our female cats food but soon regrets it, it's sad to see him struggle with food he used to like

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is his dry food? Some dry foods are too big or too hard.

And have you tried pate/mousse texture wet food as it's been suggested?
He is on soft food I was just wondering if he would ever get back to his regular diet

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do you get spot on flea treatment onto a lively cat who is not used to human contact?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When our cat had most of his teeth removed this past spring I was told not to give him dry food for 3-4 weeks. You have to be extra careful not to feed dry kibble after dental surgery. He got the dry as a snack and had also been on freeze dried raw food which I hydrated with warm water. He wouldn't eat his raw food anymore so I slowly transitioned him over to canned food and it worked out well for him. I hope your cat feels better soon. :alright: