Uncontrollable Shivering When Sleeping

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, my moggy when blind over 1 month and 1 week ago. Yesterday, while he was sleeping, his eyes started twitching, he started swallowing rapidly and his whole body started shivering/shaking uncontrollably. I quickly tried to wake up up and the shivering stopped soon after (it was probably only a few seconds), but when I lifted his head it was limp and he didn't wake up. A few minutes later, the shivering/shaking started again. This time when I tried to wake him, he woke up immediately and the shivering/shaking stopped.

Because we have no idea what's causing my moggy's blindness (the tests for cryptococcosis and toxoplasmosis came back negative), I'm worried that this could mean something really serious (like the dreaded T-word). Has anyone had a cat that's done this before? How do I tell between just normal shivering in sleep and seizures? We have an appointment at the vet's on Thursday so I'll be sure to tell him this!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sad to say this sounds more like a seizure to me. When it's a dream, they wake up and their head doesn't get limp like that.

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember you said you opted out of MRI because radiotherapy isn't available in Singapore but, does MRI only show a problem that can only be treated with radiotherapy? Like isn't it possible Moggy might have something in his brain that a medicine (a pill) could potentially help? Because if there is, even if the pill isn't available in Singapore it might be possible to purchase online from another country.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be dreams, cats do act like that. Especially if it only happens when he is sleeping. If he has these symptoms when he is NOT sleeping hard, like just lays down while walking, etc.then I'd be concerned. I've also picked up cats when they are sleeping and it takes a few seconds for them to wake up when they are sleeping hard, but the limp head for a few seconds should definitely be brought up to the vet. There are very good medications out there that control seizures. Has he had any anesthesia lately? That can cause delayed symptoms like you are describing too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi MissClouseau, if it's a tumour then it can only be treated with surgery (which the vet says they cannot do) or radiotherapy. Chemotherapy doesn't do much.
I was thinking it was a seizure too, but then he exhibited identical symptoms 5 minutes later and this time, he woke up immediately after I shook him. So I don't know.

I remember you said you opted out of MRI because radiotherapy isn't available in Singapore but, does MRI only show a problem that can only be treated with radiotherapy? Like isn't it possible Moggy might have something in his brain that a medicine (a pill) could potentially help? Because if there is, even if the pill isn't available in Singapore it might be possible to purchase online from another country.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi MissClouseau, if it's a tumour then it can only be treated with surgery (which the vet says they cannot do) or radiotherapy. Chemotherapy doesn't do much.
I was thinking it was a seizure too, but then he exhibited identical symptoms 5 minutes later and this time, he woke up immediately after I shook him. So I don't know.
I see. I surely hope not but if it happens again and you can remember it during the stress, try to record it with your phone to show to a vet. Best wishes :hearthrob:

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so worried and confused! According to everything I've heard, when a cat has a seizure while sleeping, it cannot be woken up. That's what happened the first time round... when i tried to shake him awake the trembling/swallowing/eye twitching stopped, but when i lifted his head it was limp. Then the shivering/trembling/eye twitching started 5 minutes later but this time when i shook him he awoke immediately and was fine. I have no idea what to make of it. My poor baby :bawling:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so worried and confused! According to everything I've heard, when a cat has a seizure while sleeping, it cannot be woken up. That's what happened the first time round... when i tried to shake him awake the trembling/swallowing/eye twitching stopped, but when i lifted his head it was limp. Then the shivering/trembling/eye twitching started 5 minutes later but this time when i shook him he awoke immediately and was fine. I have no idea what to make of it. My poor baby :bawling:
How is he right now?

wombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to the neurologist today. Today, my moggy had an episode where a family member saw him suddenly shake for 1 second and then stop. The neurologist said that he couldn't tell whether the shivering episodes I described were seizures or not... but he was not so sure that they were seizures. The ophthalmologist said he saw that my moggy has chorioretinitis (an inflammation of the choroid (thin pigmented vascular coat of the eye) and retina of the eye). in the left eye, which wasn't there when he last examined him a month ago. So it's possible my moggy has some sort of infectious/inflammatory thing going on that is spreading as chorioretinitis in the left eye.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to the neurologist today. Today, my moggy had an episode where a family member saw him suddenly shake for 1 second and then stop. The neurologist said that he couldn't tell whether the shivering episodes I described were seizures or not... but he was not so sure that they were seizures. The ophthalmologist said he saw that my moggy has chorioretinitis (an inflammation of the choroid (thin pigmented vascular coat of the eye) and retina of the eye). in the left eye, which wasn't there when he last examined him a month ago. So it's possible my moggy has some sort of infectious/inflammatory thing going on that is spreading as chorioretinitis in the left eye.
Thanks for the updates, wombat. I have zero knowledge on chorioretinitis but maybe someone else on here do :crossfingers: