Uncomfortable about the meat in my cat's food

almaranville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally am a vegan and I've never really thought that was a good idea for cats. But I definitely don't feel good about the meat in my cat's food--not on an ethical level but just a health level because I know the types of things that happen in slaughterhouses/to meat in general. I've found a lot of vegan and vegetarian foods online but I'm still kind of unsure about that choice for a cat. She's currently eating Blue Wilderness and always has. She has really sensitive skin so she can't have food with gluten, soy, or wheat. Also I recently switched to wet food because it seems to be better since she has bad teeth. 

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for cat food that meets those requirements that has either no meat (if that's healthy) or meat that they know isn't full of antibiotics, hormones, and whatever else gross that goes on in meat production.

Thanks! 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat's can't be vegans they need there meat because certain vitamines etc they have to have and there digestive systems cant handle 100% vegan etc only time a cat needs a vegan no grain diet is for extreme bad allergy's etc not sure what brand that don't do the antibiotics and gross stuff to pet food the other members should know.

And since you are vegan you need to watch your vitamins and minerals levels if they go unbalanced you can have some bad health and symptoms etc just trying to be helpful just in case you didn't know that meat has vitamins and minerals that vegetables and grains etc that don't have. <same go for cats

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are obligate carnivores, and have digestive systems that have NOT adapted to using vegetables or grains for pretty much anything.

Cats cannot convert beta carotene into vitamin A.
Cats need vitamin D preformed, they don't convert sunlight.
Cats must have preformed fatty acids, they cannot convert ALA into EPA or DHA
Cats cannot synthesize AA. Their daily requirement for AA is so high that it must be provided in the diet.

Idiosyncratic nutrient requirements of cats appear to be diet-induced evolutionary adaptations

There are several vegan and numerous vegetarian members of TCS feeding their cats a homemade raw diet, because from a health perspective, that is the feline equivalent. Anything other than meat, organs, and bones really have no place in a cat's diet.

You may be able to feed an alternative diet and have your cat survive. But it is certainly not what is best for your cat. Perhaps in the future you should consider a vegan pet rather than an obligate carnivore. :)

If you want ethics to dictate how you feed your cat, please support your local farmer, and feed your cat a species-appropriate diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

almaranville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like I made it pretty clear that this doesn't have to do with my ethics (i.e.: "But I definitely don't feel good about the meat in my cat's food--not on an ethical level but just a health level because I know the types of things that happen in slaughterhouses/to meat in general.") I would never subject her to a diet that was detrimental to her health--which is precisely why I'm concerned about the meat in her food. 

I'm worried about the meat that's in my cat's diet because of what goes on in slaughterhouses and the meat industry--such as pumping chickens with hormones and antibiotics that isn't good for humans and I'm sure isn't good for cats or any animal. 

That's why I posted on here, wondering if anybody here knew of any cat food brands that definitely doesn't use antibiotics or hormones in their meat. I myself don't eat meat for both ethical and  health reasons due to the way meat is processed and obtained. If the antibiotics and hormones in meat are proven to be bad for my health, I'd assume it's bad for her health, too. That's my concern. 

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feel like I made it pretty clear that this doesn't have to do with my ethics (i.e.: "But I definitely don't feel good about the meat in my cat's food--not on an ethical level but just a health level because I know the types of things that happen in slaughterhouses/to meat in general.") I would never subject her to a diet that was detrimental to her health--which is precisely why I'm concerned about the meat in her food. 

I'm worried about the meat that's in my cat's diet because of what goes on in slaughterhouses and the meat industry--such as pumping chickens with hormones and antibiotics that isn't good for humans and I'm sure isn't good for cats or any animal. 

That's why I posted on here, wondering if anybody here knew of any cat food brands that definitely doesn't use antibiotics or hormones in their meat. I myself don't eat meat for both ethical and  health reasons due to the way meat is processed and obtained. If the antibiotics and hormones in meat are proven to be bad for my health, I'd assume it's bad for her health, too. That's my concern. 
Nature's Variety Instinct uses USDA meat that is antibiotic and hormone-free in their canned cat food. Not 100% sure about Hound & Gatos, but it is another high quality canned food that likely also uses antibiotic/hormone-free meat.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was going to suggest nature variety but wasnt sure if they was free of it or not and I feed my cats that before they loved it

almaranville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into those!

oneandahalfcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i was going to suggest nature variety but wasnt sure if they was free of it or not and I feed my cats that before they loved it
Yes, its a pretty good food that my cats like as well .. Even my little FussBudget, Maggie

@almaranville: You're welcome.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
almaranville, here are a couple others:

Newman's Own Organics grain-free canned foods are organic, have no GMOs, and the beef is even free-range. Their Web site answers a lot of questions in the FAQ. (I'd gladly feed these--the grain-free but not the others because they have rice--to our cats but they have carrageenan, which I try to avoid.)

Primal, which makes raw frozen and raw freeze-dried foods, doesn't use meats with antibiotics, steroids, or added hormones. The additive vegetables are organic. (Our cats love them.)

As for the foods, other mentioned, our cats eat and like some Nature's Variety Instinct (canned duck and turkey plus frozen raw beef and chicken) as well as occasional Rad Cat as treats. Speaking of Rad Cat, I don't know what your feelings might be about handling cat food that really looks like raw meat because it really is raw meat: if you don't like it, Rad Cat might be difficult, though in terms of ethics, nutrition, and cat opinion, it's one of the very best foods (organic, free-range, the cats love-love-love it). I eat and cook meat but admit Rad Cat freaked me out a little in the beginning (mostly the chicken for some reason) so now I portion it out when it's still a little frozen, refreeze, thaw, and then just pop it on a dish and don't look at it. All the Primal and Nature's Variety raw foods are formed into shapes and barely seem like raw meat to me; that might be partly because they have vegetables added for nutrients. Even after I mush them with extra water (which your cat might prefer, too, because of her teeth) they don't really look too much like meat to me.

Anyway, good luck! And your cat is beautiful!

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You welcome and is NVI good for cats with tumors sorry if i hijacked this thread

almaranville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

almaranville, here are a couple others:

Newman's Own Organics grain-free canned foods are organic, have no GMOs, and the beef is even free-range. Their Web site answers a lot of questions in the FAQ. (I'd gladly feed these--the grain-free but not the others because they have rice--to our cats but they have carrageenan, which I try to avoid.)

Primal, which makes raw frozen and raw freeze-dried foods, doesn't use meats with antibiotics, steroids, or added hormones. The additive vegetables are organic. (Our cats love them.)

As for the foods, other mentioned, our cats eat and like some Nature's Variety Instinct (canned duck and turkey plus frozen raw beef and chicken) as well as occasional Rad Cat as treats. Speaking of Rad Cat, I don't know what your feelings might be about handling cat food that really looks like raw meat because it really is raw meat: if you don't like it, Rad Cat might be difficult, though in terms of ethics, nutrition, and cat opinion, it's one of the very best foods (organic, free-range, the cats love-love-love it). I eat and cook meat but admit Rad Cat freaked me out a little in the beginning (mostly the chicken for some reason) so now I portion it out when it's still a little frozen, refreeze, thaw, and then just pop it on a dish and don't look at it. All the Primal and Nature's Variety raw foods are formed into shapes and barely seem like raw meat to me; that might be partly because they have vegetables added for nutrients. Even after I mush them with extra water (which your cat might prefer, too, because of her teeth) they don't really look too much like meat to me.

Anyway, good luck! And your cat is beautiful!
Thank you so much! that was super informative and I feel like I have a ton of options now! And thank you! :) as are yours!

wendy56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
you mention you are a vegetarian, but you may want to consider a raw feline diet..you can purchase it either premade or make it your self,,i have researched sites pertaining to the raw diet..check into to, it's much healthier and a more natural approach..felines are natural predators and even domestic cats will eat raw meat, digest it properly with no fear of a raw meat in their systems..

there are many sites on this..two of the sites I have looked into are  called feline nutrition and  a  holistic vet by the name of dr. Karen becker..she is a firm believer in the raw diet for your pets..she has fed her own pets on a raw diet since the beginning..

look into it..your kitty will love it. it may take some adjustment for your kitty, but will be worth it,

take care....wendy

wendy56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just wanted to let you know, I have fed blue buffalo  grain free to my kitties and I feel comfortable giving it to them just like you do...thanks for welcoming me...wendy

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Sorry, I must have read it too fast, because I did misunderstand. I'm you're getting other helpful food suggestions!

almaranville

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, I must have read it too fast, because I did misunderstand. I'm you're getting other helpful food suggestions!
No problem :) i definitely appreciate the concern!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

you mention you are a vegetarian, but you may want to consider a raw feline diet..you can purchase it either premade or make it your self,,i have researched sites pertaining to the raw diet..check into to, it's much healthier and a more natural approach..felines are natural predators and even domestic cats will eat raw meat, digest it properly with no fear of a raw meat in their systems..

there are many sites on this..two of the sites I have looked into are  called feline nutrition and  a  holistic vet by the name of dr. Karen becker..she is a firm believer in the raw diet for your pets..she has fed her own pets on a raw diet since the beginning..

look into it..your kitty will love it. it may take some adjustment for your kitty, but will be worth it,

take care....wendy
We've had a few vegetarians on this site feed raw to their cats, so this is definitely something worth looking into.  One of the things that I feel good about is that I buy meat fit for human consumption, not pet grade.  There are terrific distributors like Hare Today that sell meat already ground up for you, just add Alnutrin.  Raw feeders that shop there can help you in the raw forum if you're interested.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You do not indicate where in the world you are, so this may not help....

You can also check Craigslist for independent, local sources such as people with extra rabbits or chickens, or even feeder mice.  However, it seems to be THE most expensive way to go.  And Hare Today is a great independent business to support - she has a great reputation and customers rave about her.  If you are close to PA in the US...definitely worth checking out.