Unable to trim "wild" cats nails!

tiger claws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a "wild" cat when it comes to trimming nails...always ends with blood (MINE).  He senses the "clippers" from a distance and hides.  I've tried to clip one nail at a time while he is asleep, but he jumps out of his skin the minute he feels the slightest touch to his paw and is gone!  He does not have any injuries to his paws, he jumps and plays rough with no problems...he just doesn't want his paw cut.  And taking him to the vet requires sedation, so that is not an option either.  Please help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason you have to trim his nails? I have never in 50 years trimmed any of my cat's nails and have had no problems. I have corrugated cardboard 'scratchers' for them to use, and do have hardwood floors in many of my rooms, so I think that helps. Call your vet and see if there is any reason needed to trim. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiger claws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW! Thanks...I thought you HAD to do this! Tiger sheds his nails and I just thought that was due to lack of trimming! Other than daily scratches from playing, I have no complaints! Will do.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great!!! That 'shedding' is actually normal, they are sheaths over the claws and need to fall off once in a while. They always scare me, they look like actual claws! Make sure he has a 'scratcher' to claw. Hope you have many, many years of happiness together!

penwright1029

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help. I need to know this, too. Satin Bombay (19 years) has back claws that extend way beyond his paws. He will not let me trim them. I'm concerned he may hurt himself by getting caught on something while we are sleeping or away. He has no way of using a scratcher to trim them down himself. So it is up to me.

I even have special nippers that won't cut beyond the quick. He won't let me near him with them either.

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clipping isn't required unless they grow really long for some weird reason. Just provide lots of hard materials for him to scratch on to help keep the nails trimmed and you'll be fine.

I usually only trim kitten nails and nails when they kitties start sticking to the carpet or clothing... 

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Help. I need to know this, too. Satin Bombay (19 years) has back claws that extend way beyond his paws. He will not let me trim them. I'm concerned he may hurt himself by getting caught on something while we are sleeping or away. He has no way of using a scratcher to trim them down himself. So it is up to me.

I even have special nippers that won't cut beyond the quick. He won't let me near him with them either.
Wrap them up in a blanket/towel.

Move quick and do it as a two person job.

Only use the simple easy clippers, or regular human nail clippers. Any thing that takes extra time is time you're fighting the kitty. Those ones where you have to put the nail through the whole are painful and annoying to use.

Do a paw at a time so you don't over stress the kitty.

And good luck!